• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...st-leaving-conference-realignment-connecticut

YUCK. Taking those clowns in would guarantee the doom of the ACC. I have no faith that our administrators are smart enough, but I hope Dook's see that.

It's ridiculous to believe that the conference of misfit toys that UConn and Cinnci are about to belong to would enact a Grant of Rights. Every one of those schools wants to be able to move up if the opportunity presented itself. Even if Duke and Wake both wanted them which we don't. Neither of us could rally enough other schools to vote UConn and Cinnci into the ACC at this point.

... The only thing that could kill the ACC is an attack on its market-monopoly core. UNC, NCSU, UVA, or VT. These are schools the SEC or Big 10 would snatch up in a heartbeat, the act of which could start a chain reaction (the Big 12 calculus might abruptly change for the ACC southern contingent, should any of those NC/VA schools leave). But so long as those schools remain committed to the conference -- which seems beyond much dispute at this point -- the ACC is solid.

You nailed it. The VA and NC market monopolies are the core of the ACC. That's why the Big 10 and SEC would love to take one or more of VT, UVA, UNC, NCSt. The SEC has no interest in the "usual suspects" of GT, Clemson and FSU, the most likely to jump. The Big 12 might have an interest in those same usual suspects, but jumping to the Big 12 would be leaving the frying pan for the fire, as the Big 12 is much likelier to disintegrate than the ACC, if Texas perceives a better deal somewhere else.

Of course, it's easy for Ron Wellman to say that "Wake will always be in the ACC" because our athletic programs are such a shambles that our market value to anyone else is the same as it is to the ACC today, which is exactly zero. Thank goodness we were in the room when the ACC was formed in 1953, because we would never be allowed in the room if it was being formed today.

Last edited:
The SEC holds all the cards, and they control the next major domino effect of conferences. Let us say the bean counters figure out away to take 6 more ACC schools in order to destroy the ACC and maximize revenue into two 10 team conferences. State, VA Tech, Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA. Now the ACC becomes the Big East, and the Big 12 goes bye bye. ND goes to the Big 10. Duke goes to the Big Ten or Catholic Conference. Wake goes to the Catholic conference. Tic, Toc, Tic, Toc.... It is just a matter of time before the SEC shows us its hand.

Mizzou almost didn't get in because it would have caused Alabama to lose their game with Tennessee. If the SEC adds teams from the ACC, Mizzou and someone else will need to move to the Western Division. That'll cause some major issues.

Mizzou almost didn't get in because it would have caused Alabama to lose their game with Tennessee. If the SEC adds teams from the ACC, Mizzou and someone else will need to move to the Western Division. That'll cause some major issues.

Socal is just the resident SEC homer so I wouldn't expect anything he says on the topic to be particularly illuminating. I seem to remember quite a few threads in the past where he felt the need to similarly chime in with verbal fellating of the SEC for no apparent reason.

"Swarbrick was the second source in two days to say that the ACC will eventually be making more money per school than the Big 12. That would seemingly put to rest speculation that Florida State is trying to get out. Both of those conferences are behind the Big Ten, largely considered to be No. 1 in conference revenue at the moment.

One source said all the major conferences are within $500,000 of each other, hovering around the $20 million mark per year in annual per-school payout. However, estimates for a future Big Ten have gone as high as $40 million per school when its primary TV rights are renegotiated by 2016."

"Result of meeting Sunday between Swofford and Louisville/ND

1. Louisville and ND will likely join for basketball next season.

2. Because of litigation, Maryland will still likely be in ACC until 2014.

3. Because of #2 and #1 above, the 2013-14 ACC basketball season will have 16 teams.

4. Unfortunately, Louisville will be playing one more "BE" football season next year. I put "BE" on quotes because the league might not have that name...

5. ESPN is pressuring Notre Dame to add a 6th ACC game per year in football, so the ACC will get three games every year on ESPN instead of every other year. Notre Dame may opt to play Pitt and BC every year and rotate through the other 12 teams once every three years. This gives the ACC 6 games per year with ND. ND is thinking hard about this. Pitt and BC would alternate in South Bend.. with the other hosting ND every year.

6. Notre Dame has agreed to join the ACC full time when "the time is right" ... but the time is not currently right. The time will be right when playoffs go to 8 teams with an autobid for conference champs, but not before."

Link

Last edited:
In my dream scenario, Penn State and ND join the ACC at the same time in a few years, which leaves MD in their new conference sticking out like a sore dick geographically. Again.

In my dream scenario, Penn State and ND join the ACC at the same time in a few years, which leaves MD in their new conference sticking out like a sore dick geographically. Again.

Penn State isn't going anywhere, especially with Rutgers and Maryland now in the fold - the ACC simply can't offer them as much money and they're no longer on an island geographically.

Penn State isn't going anywhere, especially with Rutgers and Maryland now in the fold - the ACC simply can't offer them as much money and they're no longer on an island geographically.

Probably. Although if they come in with ND, the ACC probably can offer them as much money. Moreover, after a few years of dealing with the dickheads from College Park, they are going to want to get away from them as bad as the ACC did.

So basically, it's a giant clusterfuck and it's impossible to know who is playing who. Awesome.

Let Maryland leave early. Kick them in the ass as they are walking out the door I say

Agreed. I'd lower the buyout to encourage them to do so. Watching them flounder as an independent would be hilarious.

I still think at some point that UT, TT, OU, ans Ok St join the Pac 12 with the LHN as their regional network

Probably. Although if they come in with ND, the ACC probably can offer them as much money. Moreover, after a few years of dealing with the dickheads from College Park, they are going to want to get away from them as bad as the ACC did.

I doubt it, PSU will turn Byrd Stadium blue very quickly and it isn't like Penn State gives a crap about their basketball program anyway.

Back