• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

These numbers throw the anti-Rutgers sentiment expressed earlier today on these boards into question....

What those numbers show is that college sports are below the water line in interest of NYC market populace.

There is no real value of having a college team in NYC.

OGBDeacon07 said:
KanhojiAngre wrote:

These numbers throw the anti-Rutgers sentiment expressed earlier today on these boards into question....

So the fact that they are the only major team actually located in this market and they have only 20% of an already very limited college football market is good? I think you need to re-analyze this data.

So the fact that they are the only major team actually located in this market and they have only 20% of an already very limited college football market is good? I think you need to re-analyze this data.

So you'd rather have Ole Miss? A team with similar numbers and no market to speak of?

It's a fucking retarded idea and it's the same fucking retarded idea that has helped the Big East get where it is today.

Good work, what you think is a good idea has all but ruined a conference.

I didn't think it was a good idea to add them to the ACC - I was saying that it wasn't the worst idea that if they were going to make the jump to FBS that playing their games at Franklin Field wouldn't be the worst option because of its size, location to campus, and history. Why don't you take some basic reading comprehension courses before you go full troll next time.

Okay. You are correct. I see the writing on the wall and it is rutgersand uConn

Not so much that, but thinking that Villanova is anywhere near. Temple just beat them by like 40, they play in a stadium that wouldn't pass muster for a high school in Texas, and their big plan to mitigate that is to play on the campus of a I-AA school.

Not even close.

The Big East floated this as an alternate to UCF because USF got a voting bloc to oppose that, which was supported by most of the schools that give a crap about football.

I didn't think it was a good idea to add them to the ACC - I was saying that it wasn't the worst idea that if they were going to make the jump to FBS that playing their games at Franklin Field wouldn't be the worst option because of its size, location to campus, and history. Why don't you take some basic reading comprehension courses before you go full troll next time.

So your saying they should what, be in the MAC? Independent? What would be the point of that?

Big East turned them down. Maybe if the Big East needs a warm body after all the real football schools are gone they'll get a call.

Goalposts. Moved.

Was about Syracuse having so much more support in NYC than Rutgers. Now it's about Rutgers's piece of the pie, while being bigger than anyone else's, not being big enough.

If that's teh case, how dumb a move was inviting Syracuse?

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-NYCTV-blog480.png

Where did you get this from?

Just saw that. Those numbers do not make sense. A half decent analyst could rip them apart.

Just saw that. Those numbers do not make sense. A half decent analyst could rip them apart.

It takes an idiot to believe that more people watch or would "potentially" watch Duke football than Maryland or NC State.

I'd say those numbers show how we don't want the NYC market for college sports. If the most popular team only garners a 3% "populatiry" number then imagine how scant their actual TV share would be on a Saturday afternoon. Probably be more people watching re-runs of JErsey Shore at any given time... Then e think how tiny the TV share would be during baseball, especially if the Yanks are in a race or rolling...

I'd have to see the analysis, but again "fan" does not equal "people who spend money to follow their team". I bet there are 5 ND bars for every Rutgers bar in NYC. Honestly i'd be surprised if there were any Rutgers bars in NYC. Have you ever seen anyone from Rutgers at the Big East tourney?

Where did you get this from?

The NY market may not be as much as some believe for college sports, but the idea that a conference would not want to be active in it is, well, nuts. Of course you want in. It's the country's largest market, by a wide margin, meaning it has the highest potential for explosive growth. It's one thing to have right-sized expectations for the NY market, but it's quite another to be dismissive about it. If the ACC adds UCONN and becomes the undisputed premier basketball conference once more, spreading that interest to the northeast from its power-base in NC (and, presumably UCONN), you could be talking about a market ready to explode. I'd take that over West freaking Virginia -- or another Florida school when the conference already has two -- any day of the week. Yes, you take ND or Texas first. But when those options wink out (and they will), you take the northeast as quickly as you can get your hands on it.

Last edited:
Not so much that, but thinking that Villanova is anywhere near. Temple just beat them by like 40, they play in a stadium that wouldn't pass muster for a high school in Texas, and their big plan to mitigate that is to play on the campus of a I-AA school.

Not even close.

The Big East floated this as an alternate to UCF because USF got a voting bloc to oppose that, which was supported by most of the schools that give a crap about football.
Can you read? That wasn't their plan.

i think Uconn and 'Cuse are more important to nyc market than rutgers.

Back