• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

You guys need to quit arguing over WVU coming to the ACC. WV is going to the SEC. Rumor has it that this is why Cuse and Pitt jumped at the ACC, because talks with WV and the SEC are further along than everyone realized.

It'll be interesting to see what the ACC does and if they really have had 10 schools contact them, we will likely get to 16 teams pretty quickly. Uconn and Kansas would make for some very prestigious bball teams but the whole thing is up in the air. I'd love to know what 10 teams reached out to the ACC.

You guys need to quit arguing over WVU coming to the ACC. WV is going to the SEC. Rumor has it that this is why Cuse and Pitt jumped at the ACC, because talks with WV and the SEC are further along than everyone realized.

It'll be interesting to see what the ACC does and if they really have had 10 schools contact them, we will likely get to 16 teams pretty quickly. Uconn and Kansas would make for some very prestigious bball teams but the whole thing is up in the air. I'd love to know what 10 teams reached out to the ACC.

That's the rumor re: WVU and the SEC, but I'm so done with believing any rumors on this stuff.

This is getting sillier than silly season in NASCAR or transfer season in soccer.

Kansas may give up football after what happened to them today.

It really would not surprise me. I guess nothing does anymore. Think about it: NCSU is the red-headed step-child of the Triangle despite winning championships. They are second-fiddle to UNC in everything, and it is perceived that that's not just from fans, but from the ACC and the NC legislature. Think about the splash they could make as the only NC school in the SEC. While UNC is hosting Pitt, Duke and Maryland, NCSU will be hosting Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, etc.

It is promising that they agreed to the increased buyout, but, at this point, there was no other option.

I would like to point out that this is and has been A&M's mindset for a while. Whether UT is a bunch of assholes or not, A&M has always felt they deserved to not be in UT's shadow. And the LHN was simply an excuse to move out

So before you trash the thought of NCST jumping ship know that at this point a few years ago nobody would have ever seen UT and A&M apart

Syracuse doesn't get you shit in the NYC market in football. That's a frickin' joke.

No one school gets you the Pittsburgh market. WVU gets you a broader TV audience though. ESPN loved showing them on Thursdays under Rodriguez.

Well, the fallacy is that anyone in NYC cares at all about college football. They don't. But Syracuse gives you just as much of an entrance as Rutgers or UConn. And Syracuse is the only one advertising all over the boroughs that they are NYC's team.

And I'm from Pittsburgh, and I can safely say that the focus is on Pitt. There is some attention paid to Penn St., and a tiny bit to WVU, but it's Pitt's market. WVU may have had some success in football over the past twenty years, but it's far from a big time draw.

NC State will not come up with a $20 million dollar exit fee. Especially to get away from the school most of their fans care most about beating.

NC State will not come up with a $20 million dollar exit fee. Especially to get away from the school most of their fans care most about beating.

I am not disagreeing with you. All I am saying is once again that sounds eerily similar to Texas A&M. Hell A&M's whole fight song is about beating Texas. They will have fun with that one in the SEC I guess

Well, the fallacy is that anyone in NYC cares at all about college football. They don't. But Syracuse gives you just as much of an entrance as Rutgers or UConn. And Syracuse is the only one advertising all over the boroughs that they are NYC's team.

More people in NYC care about college football in NYC than W-S, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston, Miami and Charlottesville combined. There are over 8 million people in NYC. There are alumni from every football school in the country and no major football program in the city. No one school, or 3 schools for that matter, delivers a majority of NYC's college fans, but Cuse, Rutgers and UConn are the most viable options- getting Penn State, Michigan or Ohio State ain't happening. Adding Rutgers and UConn on top of Cuse and Pitt seems the best option for growing the ACC- keeping it Atlantic coast, academically strong, and athletically balanced.

How many connections does it take to get from Morganton, WV to Auston? Four? Those poor Texas fans...wait until they see that dump.

I am not disagreeing with you. All I am saying is once again that sounds eerily similar to Texas A&M. Hell A&M's whole fight song is about beating Texas. They will have fun with that one in the SEC I guess

I see what you're saying. And I have seen some comments on the State board from folks saying they'd like to leave the ACC and get away from the preferential treatment, or perceived preferential treatment, Carolina gets. It's just hard for me to imagine it ever really happening. But like you point out, no one in Texas saw this coming until recently.

It really would not surprise me. I guess nothing does anymore. Think about it: NCSU is the red-headed step-child of the Triangle despite winning championships. They are second-fiddle to UNC in everything, and it is perceived that that's not just from fans, but from the ACC and the NC legislature. Think about the splash they could make as the only NC school in the SEC. While UNC is hosting Pitt, Duke and Maryland, NCSU will be hosting Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, etc.

It is promising that they agreed to the increased buyout, but, at this point, there was no other option.

You're missing the point. NC State is part of the University of North Carolina. They're not going anywhere, ever, without UNC. Period, end of story.

Texas and A&M are not relevant due to the fact that they are two different systems

It's dog-dumb to suggest WVU is unlikely to continue to perform well in football. This is a program that just got rid of their coach for going 18-8. There are expectations.

Reading comprehension is fundamental. Then again, I wouldn't expect any more from someone who think Bill Parcells is an infallible God in terms of basketball coaching searches (I'm pretty sure that was you). I said WVU will experience downturns in sports. That's just an undeniable fact, they will. They're not a blue blood that should be guaranteed success. But yeah, expectations always mean that you can't be bad ever. Signed, NC State in every sport, FSU football, Maryland bball, Clemson football, Miami football, and even UNC fucking basketball. And those are just recent ACC examples with (the exception of NC State) a stronger pedigree in their sports than WVU has. When they're bad, they'll be an anchor weighing down the whole conference.

Rutgers is such an awful option. There's no magic school that tape a mystical NYC college football market.

I just hope we grab UConn....also, want both teams that round out the final 16 to be northern teams. Then divide the conference into north and south.

North
UConn
Rutgers
Syracuse
Boston College
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Maryland
Pittsburgh

South
Wake
Duke
UNC
NC State
Clemson
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech

Those would be two really fun divisions that would allow teams to re-develop or create great rivalries. Tobacco Road needs to be back in the same division, and going to 16 allows that as long as they bring in two more Yankees.

dook needs to be in the north division since they are really a northern school that has been misplaced in a southern town. Give the North dook and give the south VaTech...they're more southern than northern.

Back