• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Get rid of divisions/ The media has no idea who is who and will never learn. Go to non divisions and let schools have rival games and then ACC fills out rest of schedule for balance. If we really end up in a crappy division drop sports and concentrate on academics.

Hopefully not. You gotta think Wellman is doing everything he can to convince Swofford this is a bad idea. I also don't see all of the former BE schools being happy in a division that is essentially the old Big East.

By far the easiest thing to do right now is just add Cuse and Pitt to each division. Especially since there is the potential to expand again, which would require a much more comprehensive evaluation of divisions, scheduling, etc.

I'm guessing the whole thing is a moot point anyways. We'll be at 16 teams before Syracuse and Pitt ever play an ACC game. The question is who and when.

With Missouri to the SEC today/tomorrow, I fully expect the Big 12 to pull in 3 members (UL and WVU being 2 of them). I just can't see Notre Dame staying happy with the teams they will face off against in the Big East. It's just a matter of time IMO. Not to mention that the basketball only schools are rumored to be ready to bolt if they lose 1 more school.

Oh fuck that idea. At least we get to play State very year.

Why not just put Miami and the northern division. They'd probably prefer it.

The same divisional groupings would be used for both football and basketball, said Swofford.

Given Coach K's comments regarding pods/recruiting and Duke's alumni base, I would not be surprised to see Duke volunteer to be in the North Division provided they can maintain their rivalry with UNC.

Being in the north would be advantageous from a football perspective. Except VT, those are all beatable opponents.

Being in the north would be advantageous from a football perspective. Except VT, those are all beatable opponents.

It would great exposure for the university up there as well. There are a ton of good students north of North Carolina.

It would great exposure for the university up there as well. There are a ton of good students north of North Carolina.

Tons of good students in CA as well, but it's not a good thing for our team to play most of it's games on the West Coast. The local fanbase we've been trying to build would lose a lot of momentum if we get stuck in a NE division IMO.

Tons of good students in CA as well, but it's not a good thing for our team to play most of it's games on the West Coast. The local fanbase we've been trying to build would lose a lot of momentum if we get stuck in a NE division IMO.

With a third of our recruits coming from FLorida these days, I'm not sure how they would feel about being in a division closer culture-wise to the current Big East than the traditional ACC or SEC.

With a third of our recruits coming from FLorida these days, I'm not sure how they would feel about being in a division closer culture-wise to the current Big East than the traditional ACC or SEC.

Agreed, would be hard to keep that pipeline open if we play most our games in NC and points North.

Or they give a year notice, right?

Big East has a 27 month wait to leave anyway. Doesn't seem like there's a real problem there.

Years notice would make the fee only $2 million if no BCS bid next year or $5 million if they make a bcs bowl.

Years notice would make the fee only $2 million if no BCS bid next year or $5 million if they make a bcs bowl.

Right...so they give a year's notice, Big East doesn't release anyone until 2013, no problem. Seems to be.

So they have to pay more if they make the league a lot of money? Does that make little sense to anyone else?

Does the league share the money like they do in BCS conference or does Boise State get to keep it all for themselves if they make a BCS bowl?

If that's what they negotiated, that's what they negotiated.

And I have no idea on your second question.

Back