• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Congrats Boomers!

You can't put a price on life. No price is too high for you to pay if it gives one old man a penis implant he can't afford or if it keeps one old woman alive, writhing and gasping, for one additional day. If you are this selfish and don't want to pay your fair share, move to Somalia. We are not going back to a time when old men were forced to lay around limp on top of dead old women. .

This is a great post. Troll on.

It is amusing to see the takes of bdz and brasky align with tjcmd's randian world view.

I've been reading this thread and I just have one question that I would like to ask Brasky:

You are 28 years old now. I've been wondering if you have ever gotten a job yet, or are you now in your 22nd year of being a student and living off your parents? A couple of years ago you were whining about not being able to get a job. I lined you up with one that had very good earning potential. Not only did you not take it, but you felt obligated to trash financial planning as a worthwhile endeavor afterwards as your excuse for not taking it.

Also, you made this post earlier in this thread:

"So what's a fair age that we should stop giving boomers medicine that does nothing more than just keep them alive. 80? 85? 90? Because I sure as hell don't want to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (which is an insane amount of $$$ that we have to pay because of this horseshit healthcare system the boomers created) to keep them alive".

How is it, exactly, that you are going to pay "hundreds of thousands of dollars" for anything...if you're 28 years old never even had a job? (And if you do have a job now, it's about time...at 28 years old...and you haven't had one for very long.) What you do best is post on chatboards and talk a lot of trash.

#shotsfired

There's a lot of work to be undone for sure. But at least Boomers will have a fun retirement.

they honestly take zero responsibility for what they've done

The funny thing is that nearly everybody, on either side of the spectrum, is pissed about the direction of the country, the government, the economy, etc. Whose watch has it been? Greatest Generation are nearly all dead. Gen X and Millennials haven't had much time to be of much major influence over anything. So who's left?

The funny thing is that nearly everybody, on either side of the spectrum, is pissed about the direction of the country, the government, the economy, etc. Whose watch has it been? Greatest Generation are nearly all dead. Gen X and Millennials haven't had much time to be of much major influence over anything. So who's left?

The gays?

Think of these numbers - 30-44-53. Those are statistically reliable since the Civil war, give or take a year or two on either side. They are the ages of the oldest member of a generation when that generation first arrives in the House, then becomes the largest minority, and finally becomes the generational majority. You can look back on pretty significant changes when those numbers kicked in. The Silent Generation became the House majority generation in 1977 and the government went from pro-labor to pro-big business almost overnight. Your top 1% earners chart posted earlier pretty clearly shows that. The Silent Generation were the majority throughout the Reagan years. Boomers first became the House majority in 1995 (think Newt) and the bitching and partisanship hasn't stopped since. I'll admit, Boomers have been terrible at running Washington.

The Senate is different - 38-49-58. Almost thirty percent of today's Senate are still Silent Generation members. And a lot of the leadership posts are still held by them. Boomers have been the generational majority in the Senate for about ten years. Probably within the next two elections cycles, Boomer leadership will replace Silent Generation leadership there (Does that give you a chill?).

Everything I've read seems to indicate that real change might not happen for a while, since the Gen Xers, who currently control one-third of Congress, are more like the Boomers than the Boomers, at least the older first half of them are. Think Paul, Rand, Cruz, Wasserman, Walker, Cantor, Palin. They haven't done dick to address the problems. They're just like the generations before them, more interested in petty squabble and getting re-elected than in doing the right thing. I hope the Millenials turn out to be different, but I'm not betting my IRA on it.

Last edited:
There's a lot of work to be undone for sure. But at least Boomers will have a fun retirement.

nursing_homes2.jpg

they honestly take zero responsibility for what they've done
Think of these numbers - 30-44-53. Those are statistically reliable since the Civil war, give or take a year or two on either side. They are the ages of the oldest member of a generation when that generation first arrives in the House, then becomes the largest minority, and finally becomes the generational majority. You can look back on pretty significant changes when those numbers kicked in. The Silent Generation became the House majority generation in 1977 and the government went from pro-labor to pro-big business almost overnight. Your top 1% earners chart posted earlier pretty clearly shows that. The Silent Generation were the majority throughout the Reagan years. Boomers first became the House majority in 1995 (think Newt) and the bitching and partisanship hasn't stopped since. I'll admit, Boomers have been terrible at running Washington.

The Senate is different - 38-49-58. Almost thirty percent of today's Senate are still Silent Generation members. And a lot of the leadership posts are still held by them. Boomers have been the generational majority in the Senate for about ten years. Probably within the next two elections cycles, Boomer leadership will replace Silent Generation leadership there (Does that give you a chill?).

Everything I've read seems to indicate that real change might not happen for a while, since the Gen Xers, who currently control one-third of Congress, are more like the Boomers than the Boomers, at least the older first half of them are. Think Paul, Rand, Cruz, Wasserman, Walker, Cantor, Palin. They haven't done dick to address the problems. They're just like the generations before them, more interested in petty squabble and getting re-elected than in doing the right thing. I hope the Millenials turn out to be different, but I'm not betting my IRA on it.

Back