• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Congratulations, Jeff [Redacted]!

It's amusing how pissed off the most ardent BzzzzInners get because others don't share their delusion.

I think some "BzzzzInners" get pissed when fans mock the program (coaches/players/etc). It's a legitimate coping mechanism, but sometimes it does come across like people are enjoying our current suckiness (I'm not saying OGB is rooting for us to be bad. But I can see how some people could infer that he's rooting against Buzz).

I didn't leave that rep though, fwiw.

Here is the big issue...Wellman has put his legacy on the line with this hire. He planned to fire Dino at least 2 weeks prior to taking action. Jeff was cited as THE GUY to take us to the next level. This was Wellman's hire--his idea solely from what I know. There is no way Jeff is terminated without Wellman exhausting every option to prove he was correct. This to me points to a 4 year minimum tenure unless Jeff simply resigns.

Absolutely not. That should be approximately where we finish this year, given our weak end to the schedule. That mark next year is absolutely not indicative of improvement.

I think this is fair. Maybe 14-16 but 4-3 for the remainder of the season isn't completely out of the question. 2 wins versus GT, 1 win versus BC and a possible win versus Clemson at home.
I do believe that we'll be better next year, if nothing else from the improved competition level in practice. Carson will have to make a big jump during the offseason or he'll be watching a lot of the game next year.

Here is the big issue...Wellman has put his legacy on the line with this hire. He planned to fire Dino at least 2 weeks prior to taking action. Jeff was cited as THE GUY to take us to the next level. This was Wellman's hire--his idea solely from what I know. There is no way Jeff is terminated without Wellman exhausting every option to prove he was correct. This to me points to a 4 year minimum tenure unless Jeff simply resigns.

If the adminustration accepts this, that is further evidence of the leadership void at Wake. Proving that one individual is "correct" is not a good reason for an organization to pursue a particular course of action.

Really don't think next year is the de facto referendum on [Redacted] that many seem to think it is. We're going to be really young next year. Whether you think [Redacted] is any good at what he does, it's going to be hard to contend for any sort of postseason bid with a team so heavily reliant on non-blue-chip freshmen and that will be losing its best two post players (Walker and Nikita). We'll be returning McKie and CJ, so that's a nice start and are 2 starters we can easily pencil in, but I think we've seen that we still desperately lack all-ACC talent at all 5 positions and that neither of those guys are really capable of consistently generating offense against ACC-level defenders.

Will Thomas / Moto / CMM / Rountree / Washington address all our needs beginning next fall? I sure as hell hope so, but that seems a bit of a stretch, at least next year. 5-11 to 6-10 with a CBI bid seems about what I'd expect. Maybe 7-9 if some things break our way.

Regardless, it's pretty unrealistic to say "NCAA or bust" or even "NIT or bust" when those expectations are based on a bunch of non-McDonald's freshmen.

I just can't believe that we shouldn't expect significant improvement next year with this group plus a year, plus a six-man class, minus Ty and Nikita.

With the exception of CMM, we don't need to expect the 2012s to be stars right away, either. We need CMM to be ready to go be a scoring point guard, and we need Thomas to work his ass off in the post, not be Olajuwon. And we need Moto, Roundtree, and probably Cav or Washington to be a supporting cast. This is not the Ish class or the O'Kelley class, where we need close to the entire class to come in and largely carry the load. So, yes, we should expect, IMO, at least a four-game improvement next year (overall, not necessarily ACC).

Last edited:
I said that when Bzzz was hired that Wake hoops would be in the wilderness for about 6-7 years (I actually said it would take that long to become relevant again). It appears we are on pace and many are just fine with it.:rulz:

So next year will be viewed as the first with Jeff's recruits. The next year we lose CJ and again we could be viewed as a 'young team' that just lost its best player to graduation. I don't think Wellman will be fully objective in his assessment of Jeff and the program. I think it is more likely that a) Jeff resigns or b) Wellman 'retires' and Jeff is immediately shown the door by the next AD. I don't think we have quite internalized how much Wellman has invested in this hire.

So next year will be viewed as the first with Jeff's recruits. The next year we lose CJ and again we could be viewed as a 'young team' that just lost its best player to graduation. I don't think Wellman will be fully objective in his assessment of Jeff and the program. I think it is more likely that a) Jeff resigns or b) Wellman 'retires' and Jeff is immediately shown the door by the next AD. I don't think we have quite internalized how much Wellman has invested in this hire.

Yep. Thing is, every team has these cycles. No one has perfectly balanced, homogenous three man classes every year. But most programs don't need the excuses this one does right now.

Really don't think next year is the de facto referendum on [Redacted] that many seem to think it is. We're going to be really young next year. Whether you think [Redacted] is any good at what he does, it's going to be hard to contend for any sort of postseason bid with a team so heavily reliant on non-blue-chip freshmen and that will be losing its best two post players (Walker and Nikita). We'll be returning McKie and CJ, so that's a nice start and are 2 starters we can easily pencil in, but I think we've seen that we still desperately lack all-ACC talent at all 5 positions and that neither of those guys are really capable of consistently generating offense against ACC-level defenders.

Will Thomas / Moto / CMM / Rountree / Washington address all our needs beginning next fall? I sure as hell hope so, but that seems a bit of a stretch, at least next year. 5-11 to 6-10 with a CBI bid seems about what I'd expect. Maybe 7-9 if some things break our way.

Regardless, it's pretty unrealistic to say "NCAA or bust" or even "NIT or bust" when those expectations are based on a bunch of non-McDonald's freshmen.

0.500 or less next season would make it three in a row for Wake Forest and six in a row for Jeff [Redacted]. That's the referendum. As long as we get over 0.500 by at least a couple of games then he'll be fine. It's a low bar.

0.500 or less next season would make it three in a row for Wake Forest and six in a row for Jeff [Redacted]. That's the referendum. As long as we get over 0.500 by at least a couple of games then he'll be fine. It's a low bar.

The low bar that Mr. [Redacted] somehow managed to make for himself. I do have to give him credit for that, the guy is a master at lowering expectations.

The low bar that Mr. [Redacted] somehow managed to make for himself. I do have to give him credit for that, the guy is a master at lowering expectations.

Yes, it's pretty sad when it isn't even NIT or bust.

Back