• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Congress to allow ISPs to sell your browsing history

Does this "spark outrage"?

Seems like this may be more important than some entertainer's beach pic.

Does this "spark outrage"?

Seems like this is more be more important than some entertainer's beach pic.

article-1391437-0C480C2200000578-838_468x596.jpg

So if this bill was only passed in the waning months of Obama's presidency, what was keeping ISPs from selling our browser history before? Is that still in place? This just seems like such an outrageous thing to vote for that there HAS to be some catch...right?

So if this bill was only passed in the waning months of Obama's presidency, what was keeping ISPs from selling our browser history before? Is that still in place? This just seems like such an outrageous thing to vote for that there HAS to be some catch...right?

Nothing. Title VII, Section 2 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 protects customer information (applies as of today only to telephone calls), but the FCC only at the end of Obama's presidency specified that broadband internet providers were telecommunications providers according to that act. The FCC has been highly politicized and heavily lobbied by the major broadband providers and basically hamstrung by congress since 2010.

hard to imagine there are people who didn't experience the days when you had a couple of playboys and maybe if you were lucky a VHS tape that tracked terribly of some plot-based shit that you referred to as your "skin-flick"

Looks like my internet naivety has been exposed. That's OK - there's only so much trouble I can get in with a 2400 baud modem

Here's how you make this matter to GOP constituents: personal security.

The ability to sell SSNs is going to lead to identity theft, absolutely no question about it. That should be enough for even the biggest market boner having pub walking this earth.

help me understand: this allows providers to sell PPI in addition to browsing history?

The problem with internet service providers is they are essentially a monopoly. It's hard to get away from one of the big ones, and often times you have a single option. The ability to do this existed before with telecommunications and cell phone providers were installing tracking software on phones. Consumer outrage allowed for it to become a big deal, and certain companies then began advertising they weren't being like T-Mobile or whoever and tracking you. There was enough market competition that consumer complaints worked. For internet providers there isn't enough, like what are you going to do dial in with Prodigy like RJ, so you are stuck and fucked.

There's a crowdfunding initiative to raise $1 million to try and buy the browsing histories of the lawmakers who were instrumental in bringing this about, including McConnell, Ryan and FCC chair Pai.

Browsing history includes cookies, my dude.

right but i guess i don't understand how the internet works (#tubes). i understand tracking cookies being placed but not that PPI was carried along with it/was accessible by the ISP

Browsing history includes cookies, my dude.

Cookies include browsing history, but I don't think browsing history necessarily includes cookies. Cookies generally are stored in a file under your web browser, thus on your private computer. Now, that's not to say websites can't store personal information, or even store it in a cookie on their service, but there is no way they're legally allowed to sell your personal log in information without your consent.

Don't worry. I'm sure our 70 year old president will know exactly what to do. He knows all about private vs public servers, and I hear he even has a 400 lb hacker buddy.

Last edited:
i'll never understand why hacking isn't treated as a more serious offense, on all levels

i'll never understand why hacking isn't treated as a more serious offense, on all levels

I asked a while back whether people would have felt differently about Podesta's email hack if someone had assaulted him and stole his computer, but our friends on the right didn't seem to mind.

I also think that the law has had a hard time keeping up with the exponential increase in technology. It why the constitution is not fluid argument seems silly, we are at a point well beyond the imaginations of the original framers.

Nope, the Founders literally anticipated this and if they didn't we can always amend the Constitution ! Haven't you heard of this little thing called a constitutional convention ? Read up bucko !

Back