• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Congress to allow ISPs to sell your browsing history

The reason none of this gets any attention is because the language surrounding it is all too convoluted. I don't mean that in a "people are stupid" way, I mean that in that technical literacy is like scientific literacy or medical literacy--we have far too little of it to really grasp when something matters and when it doesn't. When all we have is the media to help us (and the internetz), ebola gets more coverage than climate change gets more coverage than net neutrality or web privacy.
The rule passed by the FCC hadn't even taken effect and was just stopped before being implemented. The reversal changes nothing material...so I don't think you need to invoke technical illiteracy as a problem. First things first.

Some of the arguments for why people believed it needed to be reversed can be found here.

http://www.ipi.org/ipi_issues/detai...oadband-and-other-telecommunications-services

The FTC which apparently is tasked with dealing with privacy everywhere (did not know that myself) else had concerns about the FCC approach.

https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/public_statements/951923/160527fccohlhausenstmt1.pdf

incognito_mode.png

rubes will always play themselves

i believe Orwell wrote a whole book about it

There are so many dumb people in this world.

Foxx's spin:

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has been the “cop on the beat” for decades with a long-standing and successful privacy framework. Under the heavy-handed regulatory approach of the Obama administration, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) took away some of the privacy protections that the FTC has ensured since the birth of the Internet.

Rather than work to protect Americans’ privacy through the time-tested FTC process, the FCC’s privacy rules extend only as far as your Internet provider – a small fraction of the Internet. Internet Service Providers (ISPs) do not have unique or complete access to consumers’ online activity, and there is no justification for subjecting them to a different privacy regime. Simply put, these ineffective rules pick winners and losers, unfairly favoring one type of company over another.

This week the House was forced to act and block this flawed regulation because it arbitrarily treats ISPs differently from the rest of the Internet, attempting to create a false sense of privacy that simply doesn’t exist. This resolution puts all segments of the Internet on equal footing and provides American consumers with a consistent set of privacy rules. FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has pledged that his agency will work with the FTC to ensure that consumers’ online privacy is protected though a consistent and comprehensive framework

Motherfuckin' assholes...

Trump signs internet privacy repeal

President Trump signed a bill on Monday repealing internet privacy rules passed last year by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that would have given internet users greater control over what service providers can do with their data, a White House spokeswoman confirmed.

The FCC regulations would have required broadband companies to get permission from their customers in order to use their “sensitive” data — including browsing history, geolocation and financial and medical information — to create targeted advertisements.

Back