• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONOR Football News 2020

Didn't Greer have knee surgery just a couple days ago ?

If it was arthroscopic, he might be available....if not, he's likely out.

Didn't Greer have knee surgery just a couple days ago ?

If it was arthroscopic, he might be available....if not, he's likely out.

I must have missed a news article, since I did not see it reported that Greer had knew surgery. Do you know where this was reported?

Conor, Any word on the nature or extent of the knee injury? Surgery can have such wide latitude from the UCF QB to Cole Anthony and I hope his is nearer the latter.

Not yet, and can't be certain Clawson will give a definite at today's presser. Hoping to at least get whether he'll be back for spring or summer or fall camp, however early they think he'll heal.

I'm inclined to think, given he wasn't in some kind of gruesome hit or anything, it's something along the lines of a meniscus or MCL, i.e. something that requires surgery but doesn't require reconstruction or anything like an ACL (as is my knowledge of those injuries).

Not yet, and can't be certain Clawson will give a definite at today's presser. Hoping to at least get whether he'll be back for spring or summer or fall camp, however early they think he'll heal.

I'm inclined to think, given he wasn't in some kind of gruesome hit or anything, it's something along the lines of a meniscus or MCL, i.e. something that requires surgery but doesn't require reconstruction or anything like an ACL (as is my knowledge of those injuries).

I think you are right. When ACL injuries happen, you immediately know you are f*cked. About half the time, you can't put any weight on it and you know you are done. But the other half, you feel the pain/nausea for about 30 seconds and then it seems all fine - you can get up and put weight on it and walk on it almost fine - sort of like what happened with Klay Thompson. Of course, the first time you make any cut or turn a corner, it goes out, which is so weird that you sort of panic and won't put yourself at risk again.

There are a sliver of athletes - like a Dujuan Blair or a Philip Rivers, that apparently don't need an ACL for knee stability. Rivers played the entire 2nd half of a playoff game on an ACL tear that happened in the first half (against the Pats), and Blair may never have had ACLs.

But I am rambling - the point I meant to get at is that there is a simple knee test any team doctor or even an assistant can do and if you fail it, you're done. They won't let you back on the field. They have you bend the knee and put your foot on the ground and they sit on the foot, and then they move the bent knee joint back and forth and if it gives - and it is pretty obvious - that's it. The fact that Wake medical let Greer back onto the field and we have been probably more conservative in letting guys back on the field hurt or banged up leads me to believe that he passed his ACL test and doesn't have a tear. I suppose it is possible he had a partial ACL tear, but most likely meniscus, me thinks.

I have had 3 ACL tears and two of them I walked away from. The first one, I had to be carried off and couldn't put any weight on for days.

To wax on for no reason, the reason ACL surgery repairs are often delayed weeks after the injury is due to the desire to do the operation when there is no swelling. There doesn't seem to be much of a pattern for knee swelling on ACL tears. Some blow up like a balloon and it weeks before a good surgeon will allow you to go under the knife. For others, it is a few days. I think Klay's knee must have blown up because I think it was nearly a month before he had his ACL surgery.

Good description and explanation Jaybone.
My ACL was the severe kind - my knee bent 90 degrees sideways. Unbelievable pain and much swelling. Surgery was a week later. While the physical recovery takes some time, the mental recovery can take longer.
Sounds like Greer had a minor injury (I hope) and that he’s back hitting people hard next season. He’s a good one.

My guess is that Conor/Les will know more about all the injuries after today’s PC

Indeed.

Scotty seems full go barring a setback between now at the 27th.

Nasir Greer and Rondell Bothroyd out through the spring, back for fall camp. So ... that'll be interesting at safety in the spring, with Trey Rucker working with a combination of Coby Davis, Zion Keith and A.J. Williams.

Nate Gilliam out for the bowl game, in case that hasn't made its way onto here.

Jamie Newman good to go.

Wow. Thanks Conor. That's all pretty big news.

I was worried about Bothroyd, and now it seems a bit warranted.

As I am sure a lot to most of you know, if you do have arthroscopic surgery for a meniscus tear (which is the spongy shock absorber like material at the bottom and top of the leg bones at the knee joint), and they choose to repair it rather than remove a small piece, then the recovery time is several months. You have a functioning knee. You can walk to class without crutches and without even a limp really, but the mensicus is delicate enough that it takes some time to fully heal. We use to call it cartilage back in my day. Non athletes usually just have the small debris removed. Athletes get it repaired. Or at least that used to be the protocol. Maybe non athletes get it repaired now.

Indeed.

Scotty seems full go barring a setback between now at the 27th.

Nasir Greer and Rondell Bothroyd out through the spring, back for fall camp. So ... that'll be interesting at safety in the spring, with Trey Rucker working with a combination of Coby Davis, Zion Keith and A.J. Williams.

Nate Gilliam out for the bowl game, in case that hasn't made its way onto here.

Jamie Newman good to go.

The 5 point underdog makes sense with all of these guys out. We are more like the team that played Syracuse than the one that was mostly healthy up until the VT game. Very unfortunate, but oh well. Give 'em hell on the 27th Deacs!

So what's the depth chart look like now ?

Conor - I'm still foggy on Basham....did he ever declare or not ?

And BTW, any idea if the Spartans are also banged up or have kids sitting out re draft status ?

Last edited:
I was really surprised to see Claude ahead of greene on the depth chart. I think clawson is a perfect fit for Wake but he does have senioritis.

Back