• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conservative War on Education

Black leadership can't help non-Black people? Man, are you sure you want to suggest that?

Of course they can but your post concludes with a statement about helping black lives matter and talks about black leadership in the area.

What you were saying was perfectly clear sailor don't back away from it.

numbers, that post was a clear attempt to distract and deflect. Don't fall for it.

Very interesting idea to strangle a poorly performing school to death with poorly measured accountability standards, and then move those same poorly performing students to cheap office space and remove nearly all accountability from their schools.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rter-school-sector-you-wont-believe-how-much/

Moldy, rat infested Detroit public schools are terrible, but replacing them with bullshit blended learning environments and by-appointment independent learning burger king teacher meet-ups once a week isn't an acceptable alternative.

Kids get one shot at a quality education. Why subject them to the risks of the free market?

Kids get one shot at a quality education. Why subject them to the risks of the free market?

When you can guarantee them the failure of their assigned public school with no standards or accountability.

The title of this thread is __________________________.

Going to respond to 923 anytime soon? What has kept NC schools from flourishing the past 4 years?

Looks like "nope".

By the way, I was very impressed with my daughter's public school third grade teacher last night. She's bringing a lot of technology into the classroom in a positive way (for example, using technology to teach writing and engage parents, as opposed to sticking kids in front of screens to play "educational" games when she needs some quiet time). She has the right attitude toward the standardized testing - third grade is the big year for that in NC. She was educated at HPU and got a masters at UNCG. We need to be training, recruiting and retaining more teachers like her.

What are they, then?

Are they required to provide bussing?

Why should they be required to provide bussing when (at least in NC), they don't get the capital bussing funds otherwise allocated to the students they take? Most would love to provide bussing if the state would allocate them the money to buy the busses as is done with a district school. Transportation is usually one of their biggest problems.

Looks like "nope".

By the way, I was very impressed with my daughter's public school third grade teacher last night. She's bringing a lot of technology into the classroom in a positive way (for example, using technology to teach writing and engage parents, as opposed to sticking kids in front of screens to play "educational" games when she needs some quiet time). She has the right attitude toward the standardized testing - third grade is the big year for that in NC. She was educated at HPU and got a masters at UNCG. We need to be training, recruiting and retaining more teachers like her.

LOL. I guess I didn't get to my homework in time. I'll be glad to point out why North Carolina families---the actual stakeholders that matter--- have more control over their child's education under Republican policies than under the "You'll get what we give you and you'll like it, anti-choice predecessor". Dems have treated the public schools as a jobs program for their loyal constituency. Just keep sending money and don't ask any questions. Got it, but I'll pass.

Serious question (that I don't know the answer to): has the "war on education" in NC over the last 4 years resulted in any appreciable decline in public education, by any commonly used objective standards?

2&2 had a sweet post a while back about all the hip hop vocabulary his son was learning at his charter school. MLK had a dream.

Serious question (that I don't know the answer to): has the "war on education" in NC over the last 4 years resulted in any appreciable decline in public education, by any commonly used objective standards?

This is a serious question and deserves a serious answer.

Graduation rates and SAT scores in NC have generally followed national trends, which means graduation rates have trended up and SAT scores have trended down. I don't think there is data to support negative outcomes in NC over the last four years.

On the other hand, 18 year olds graduating in 2012 had the benefit of 12 years of public education before all the cuts and turmoil. A kid starting school today is going to be dealing with the legacy of all this for the next 12 years. So one would not expect immediate changes in outcomes based on the policies of one or even a few years.

What I am personally concerned about is long-term damage to the public school system. NC has generally spent in the middle of the pack, and has generally gotten results in the middle of the pack. Our neighbors in the deep south have spent at the bottom of the pack, and have gotten results at the bottom of the pack. Spending does not always equal outcomes in education, but over the very long term it appears to be a proxy for a lot of other elements that directly impact outcomes, such as teacher quality.

When our legislature does things like kill off the Teaching Fellows program (for no apparent reason other than that it was associated with a former Democratic governor) and cut teacher pay to the bottom of the nation, we are disinvesting in teacher quality. The results of those decisions aren't going to show up tomorrow, but they will show up in the years and decades to come.

It is also worth noting that there is almost no data on how students in all the various charter schools or private schools receiving vouchers are performing, since they are immune to all the accountability that is allegedly so important in public schools.

This is a serious question and deserves a serious answer.

Graduation rates and SAT scores in NC have generally followed national trends, which means graduation rates have trended up and SAT scores have trended down. I don't think there is data to support negative outcomes in NC over the last four years.

On the other hand, 18 year olds graduating in 2012 had the benefit of 12 years of public education before all the cuts and turmoil. A kid starting school today is going to be dealing with the legacy of all this for the next 12 years. So one would not expect immediate changes in outcomes based on the policies of one or even a few years.

What I am personally concerned about is long-term damage to the public school system. NC has generally spent in the middle of the pack, and has generally gotten results in the middle of the pack. Our neighbors in the deep south have spent at the bottom of the pack, and have gotten results at the bottom of the pack. Spending does not always equal outcomes in education, but over the very long term it appears to be a proxy for a lot of other elements that directly impact outcomes, such as teacher quality.

When our legislature does things like kill off the Teaching Fellows program (for no apparent reason other than that it was associated with a former Democratic governor) and cut teacher pay to the bottom of the nation, we are disinvesting in teacher quality. The results of those decisions aren't going to show up tomorrow, but they will show up in the years and decades to come.

It is also worth noting that there is almost no data on how students in all the various charter schools or private schools receiving vouchers are performing, since they are immune to all the accountability that is allegedly so important in public schools.

You don't think the parents that choose those schools are able to assess their quality (and leave if they are not happy)? The ultimate accountability is that the stakeholders choose to go and stay, right? I know it's really hard to trust a parent with their own child's education (after all, what are bloated bureaucracies for), but just this once, let's give it a go.

so what was your suggestion for measuring success, again?

Testing is a valid device in the portfolio, even if it makes some people uncomfortable (#NOSAT DEACS, stand up!).

I prefer that parents be given a choice of where their kids go to schools, because it makes the hierarchy accountable to the end user; the people for whom the entire system was conceived, funded and sustained. I trust parents more than tests and far more than I trust self-interested administrators.

And FTR, I'm not big on vouchers, because I think that is a one-way ticket to tuition inflation in private schools, as the expense of the public system. Subsidizing education borrowing is a form of a voucher, and look what happened to Wake Forest (and friends). Not really the greatest good for the greatest number, no offense.

I would prefer a heavy amount of choice within the public system and robust charter and year-round options. Our kids are in year-round and it's fantastic.

Back