• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

Because conference strength is locked in by January. No one plays out of conference games after that.

I get what you're saying, but I think teams still move quite a lot once conference play starts.

We are the second best kenpom team not to get in this year - OK at 30 and Wake at 37. After that was A&M at 43.

It's been plenty clear for years that #wins overall is of minor significance. What is important is how many good wins you have.
IF you have a schedule like Wake (or ND) you have almost no shot at a bid unless you win most of your 'good win' games. Wake did not.

I said on a different board a month ago that Wake was a team that was in danger of being a 20+ win team that does not get a bid because its resume was an empty calorie resume. There just is very little on it for the committee to look at and say this team deserves to be in the Tourney.

I would have had Mich as a First Four team, but there was little doubt in my mind they would get a bid based on their resume.

Wake had a schedule that was built to try to get an NIT bid and that is what will happen.
It is interesting after all the talk the last couple of days that neither Wake or Xavier was even first four out.
It's clear Wake had to beat BC to even be in consideration and probably needed that 2nd round game to be safe. Also, I think VT was probably out without winning the ACC (which is what happened to TX A&M today).

If you are a bubble team going into the Conference tournament and you lose a 1st round game your odds of getting in are very low as some of those teams are going to win games and they will get chosen instead.

You hadn’t posted here for almost two years till you can over here last week to start talking shit and showing us how levelheaded and objective you are. Fuck off you fat dork. You’ve got way bigger problems on North Avenue than Wake’s basketball team being on the bubble this year, like your football team circling the bowl.

Blah, blah, blah......excuses and what-ifs. It's the same shit from this board EVERY YEAR. Don't you get it ??????? BIDS and SEEDS DON"T MATTER. WINS MATTER. That's it. In recruiting STARS don't matter. Only how you play when you get here matters ( ie: 4 star Carter Whitt, 5 star Ty Walker, AND 3 star JOHN COLLINS ! ).

I am fine admitting our resume sucked. We shouldn’t have lost to BC or Clemson

That being said I am legit pissed at some of the logic for the committee.

If the conference tourney matters how does A&M get left out? If it doesn’t how are we out? Or OU? Three teams left out beat ND head to head.

Michigan Wyoming and Rutgers resumes are garbage. And 9 Big 10 teams is dumb

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, but I think teams still move quite a lot once conference play starts.

We are the second best kenpom team not to get in this year - OK at 30 and Wake at 37. After that was A&M at 43.

My concern would be did Wake moving a ton, cause other ACC teams to drop? I just wonder if you added Kenpom of ACC teams before conference play and at the end would the sum be the same?

You have to be hot at the end of the year. WE WERE NOT.

I hate them all too, but not sure it helps for them all to flame out in the first round.

Looks much better if Wake puts a 20 point whooping on a "last season's sweet 16 team" than a "one and done" team.

In fact I’m really really mad about Michigan. They don’t have to do play in. They land a game against Colorado St. in arguably the worst region. Dumb

If net was the reason Michigan got in why is Rutgers in with a net of 77?

This was still a Wake team that only lost 8 games. "Far too often" is certainly an overstatement. Much more the timing of the loses than the number. The poor schedule (controllable but understandable) and bad metrics of the ACC (out of our control) were the real issues. Oh, and the fact that Wake is cursed.

We saw the same issues in nearly every single game. Every game. They pulled out more than we expected and were a ton a fun. Also, maddening.

Time to send that hate mail!

Joining Burnett on the committee is vice chair Chris Reynolds, the director of athletics at Bradley; veteran members Bubba Cunningham, the director of athletics at North Carolina; Charles McClelland, the commissioner of the Southwestern Athletic Conference; Bernadette McGlade, the commissioner of the Atlantic 10 Conference; Mike O’Brien, the director of athletics at Toledo; and Jamie Pollard, the director of athletics at Iowa State. The committee, which this year expanded from 10 members to 12, also includes five first-year appointees: Greg Byrne, the director of athletics at Alabama; Barry Collier, the director of athletics at Butler; Mark Coyle, the director of athletics at Minnesota; Keith Gill, the commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference; and Martin Jarmond, the director of athletics at UCLA.

Our non-conference schedule was week and we didn't get any help from the ACC.

That said, we had 4 games at home out of our last 6 including 3 against bottom division teams and we went 3-3 and then lost to another bottom division team in the ACC tournament. We got what we deserved. 5-2 in those games and we are in the tournament.

Our non-conference schedule was week and we didn't get any help from the ACC.

That said, we had 4 games at home out of our last 6 including 3 against bottom division teams and we went 3-3 and then lost to another bottom division team in the ACC tournament. We got what we deserved. 5-2 in those games and we are in the tournament.

Yea. With such a week OOC schedule and no one signature win it was imperative that we not slip on any banana peels. We did.

No shit, dude. We know all of this and have been discussing it for weeks. Let us just be disappointed Wake fans.

Agree 100%. Nothing worse at this point than condescending fans of other teams like rambling red coming over here and lecturing us.

Back