• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the realities of the virus are showing his lies and bluster for what they are. Usually he can just move on to the next lie or bullshit. But this isn't going away. And he's on record saying he's not getting ventilators and supplies for the states, people are going to die because of it, and now weeks later he's doing it because hospitals are reaching a point where they're going to have to choose who lives and dies. When that shit happens, people will save the receipts on who did what.

jYuHON.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

And now he wants all the press and governors to be "appreciative" for what he's doing. He's insane - but I think he realizes this shit isn't blowing over.

I think the realities of the virus are showing his lies and bluster for what they are. Usually he can just move on to the next lie or bullshit. But this isn't going away. And he's on record saying he's not getting ventilators and supplies for the states, people are going to die because of it, and now weeks later he's doing it because hospitals are reaching a point where they're going to have to choose who lives and dies. When that shit happens, people will save the receipts on who did what.

“Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.”

Part of that is the benefit of a base who does not care about receipts.

Yep. This is what Schiff and the House Dems warned us about. Republicans did not mind it at all. They chose this.

I could be wrong, but Trump looks shook in this presser. And is leading with discussing how the DPA will be used to provide supplies. Now having Navarro refer to him as a wartime president and saying this is biggest mobilization since WWII.

He's a "wartime president" who is delegating his responsibilities onto the individual states and refusing to use the full powers of his office to combat the enemy. Imagine FDR after Pearl Harbor telling the West Coast states and Hawaii that they pretty much needed to deal with the Japanese on their own, and he'd do whatever he could to support them. What a hero!

Last edited:
Gavin Newsome is really impressive

Look, we've been saying this for years. Democrats can be impressive. It's incredibly rare for a republican to be impressive. It's who they are. Just generally selfish, incompetent, trash human beings. And they're in control for the most part and getting high approval ratings from their idiot base. Our country is beyond fucked.

And now he wants all the press and governors to be "appreciative" for what he's doing. He's insane - but I think he realizes this shit isn't blowing over.

Correct.

I think he's been walked off the fucking ledge of insanity. Telling the media they'll have a role in what he chooses to do . . . like, wtf. But ok.

Pay attention more to what he actually does over time than in any one moment. 3 days ago we were coming off restrictions and opening for business on Monday. 2 days ago it was the beautiful Easter services. A day ago it was we'll have to see county by county. Today, it feels like an even further walk back with talk of it having to be safe and the "this is a pandemic the likes of which no one has seen before".

Correct.

I think he's been walked off the fucking ledge of insanity. Telling the media they'll have a role in what he chooses to do . . . like, wtf. But ok.

Pay attention more to what he actually does over time than in any one moment. 3 days ago we were coming off restrictions and opening for business on Monday. 2 days ago it was the beautiful Easter services. A day ago it was we'll have to see county by county. Today, it feels like an even further walk back with talk of it having to be safe and the "this is a pandemic the likes of which no one has seen before".

He may have been walked back so far, but given how mercurial he is there's no guarantee that it will continue. He may get bored in the WH or start freaking out again next week and start pushing the "we've got to open things up" line again. Especially if his poll numbers start to drop again. I wonder if his aides haven't been using his improved poll numbers as a way to talk him out of opening things up.

Some more data based notes.

Italy - I continue to watch this nation the most closely for what others can hope to move towards in time. Scary I just wrote that sentence . . . but rate of total case increase below 7.5% for the first time. New cases day over day again lower - a 4-5% drop.

Elsewhere in Europe -

- Spain - #'s could still move bc unlike Italy they offer up multiple updates a day. But new cases today are lower than each of the last two days!! Turn that curve.

- Germany - New cases today down day over day but WAY up over two days ago. And they almost had as many new cases as Spain.

- Austria - Bizarre number reporting. Way up then way down. Not sure how they are gathering their data. The overall pattern over the last 5 days is really ugly - total cases up 136%. Only the UK (see below) and Portugal at 160+% over 5 days have done worse of the nations I track in Europe.

- UK - Brutal week. But it does follow the pattern of nations that proceeded them into the big wave. Total cases up over 300% over the last 5 days.

LatAm - Scares the hell out of me.

US - Some good and some bad. The testing numbers are ramping enormously. Over 675,000 tests administered now - how that feathers into the numbers we will see over the coming days will really matter (scares the shit out of me honestly, but it's the right thing to do). .21% of the population means we have exceeded the rates of many if not most of the Euro nations. When this is all over the data that will tell the real story will be from the US and Western Europe. We are going to see just how fraudulent the Chinese have been. As for case loads, I want to wait until closer to midnight to put down the markers as so many of the states are posting many times a day (the ones that are not that I track are Utah, Minny, Indiana and Kentucky - they each post once a day). NY, WA, CA, FL, MA, NJ all do multiple updates a day. NJ is a mess. IN looks ugly too. MA not looking good the last few days. I am starting to see the rate of the increase in NY decreasing. Please start to flatten!!

He may have been walked back so far, but given how mercurial he is there's no guarantee that it will continue. He may get bored in the WH or start freaking out again next week and start pushing the "we've got to open things up" line again. Especially if his poll numbers start to drop again. I wonder if his aides haven't been using his improved poll numbers as a way to talk him out of opening things up.

Fair enough. But so far he's backtraking. Someone probably told him even if you tell Applebees to open you ain't gonna save them if only 20% of the customers go back.

I'll say this. Both Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx have been smart in attempting to answer questions without directly calling out Trump. I think they both realize that if they embarass Trump, they're gone or minimized and they both know the stakes are too high at this immediate time. I get that we've argued about this in other situations, i.e. saying generals should just resign and call it out all out. But the circumstances seem a little different here. Dr. Birx has to know he's an idiot. But she's answering here on the 700 Club.

I'll give Fauci the benefit of the doubt but Birx has made a few odd statements that support Trump's spin.

Also, anyone with credibility complimenting Trump will inevitably end up in a campaign ad:

Also, I just got word that one of my uncles is in the hospital with a potential case of Covid. If true, it will kill him at his age and condition.

Best wishes to your uncle. Hopefully, it’s not a death sentence if it’s Covid-19.

I'll give Fauci the benefit of the doubt but Birx has made a few odd statements that support Trump's spin.

Also, anyone with credibility complimenting Trump will inevitably end up in a campaign ad:

And yet Trump's campaign was furiously denouncing some anti-Trump ads just a few days ago, claiming that they were filled with lies and demanding that they be pulled, and threatening TV stations that refused to comply. He also didn't have a single Democrat at the signing ceremony for the stimulus bill. What a uniter he is! No wartime president has ever done better at pulling us all together to fight a common enemy.

Trump seems to have forgotten what swing states are.

Whitmer won Michigan in 2018 with 53% of the vote. She almost got as many votes as Trump did in 2016, only 22K less.

Betsy DeVos is at today's briefing. Only about 2 weeks after public education basically shut down across the country.

Maybe he's hoping the virus will disproportionally kill Detroiters to make up for any backlash that withholding aid will cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back