• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sheriff’s office said deputies “learned that there is a general belief by some island residents that the Cripple Creek residents are supposed to be quarantined because they came here from another state and could have Covid-19,” the disease caused by the coronavirus.

But the authorities found that the three roommates had been living in Vinalhaven for about 30 days, much longer than the two-week quarantine guideline issued by public health officials, and that none of them had any symptoms of the virus.

Ho boy. Fear of “others” vigilantism...

Austria is going to mandatory facemasks in public places (especially grocery stores) starting this week. Masks will be distributed at grocery stores and (it sounds like) drug stores.

I think I'm going to order one of these to look extra fly

product-image-1030366655_1024x1024.jpg

In all seriousness, I've been wearing a mask for a few weeks already - thankfully due to vadtoy's job, she has several very high quality reusable FFP3 masks.

The hero Gotham needs... Stephon Marbury?

Sure, but FL is the problem and DeSantis hasn't done enough to protect Floridians from each other.

"Libertarian legal scholar" Richard Epstein seems like a guy who tells people what they want to hear for a living. Actual science is way out of his domain.

It's also a troubling trend of people who screwed up the HIV crisis in the 1980s being called for help during this crisis.

Here's a related article from WaPo. It's actually a problem throughout the sciences.

[h=1]Coronavirus modelers factor in new public health risk: Accusations their work is a hoax[/h]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/27/coronavirus-models-politized-trump/

Republicans love to not know shit. And then when what the experts predicted actually happens, they're like "well, nobody could have known that."

We're witnessing graphic evidence of the flaws in the whole GOP philosophy of "government is bad, states rights/local control is good, private enterprise will solve every problem" mantra. Ronald Reagan used to love to say that the scariest words in the English language were "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." There's a helluva lot of people right now who would love for the federal government to step up and take charge, and in some states (like FL, AL, and Mississippi) there are obvious signs that their governors need to be doing more. It turns out that in a major national crisis having the federal government leave most of the responsibility up to the states, and then some state governors leaving the responsibility up to local governments, isn't such a good idea. Who woulda thunk?

Coronavirus / Bad Flu 69 !!

We're witnessing graphic evidence of the flaws in the whole GOP philosophy of "government is bad, states rights/local control is good, private enterprise will solve every problem" mantra. Ronald Reagan used to love to say that the scariest words in the English language were "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." There's a helluva lot of people right now who would love for the federal government to step up and take charge, and in some states (like FL, AL, and Mississippi) there are obvious signs that their governors need to be doing more. It turns out that in a major national crisis having the federal government leave most of the responsibility up to the states, and then some state governors leaving the responsibility up to local governments, isn't such a good idea. Who woulda thunk?

According to conservative tenets, this should be working. The private sector and the states are carrying the load. The federal government is mostly out of the way.

This is the final test of conservatism. It will fail. But if Republicans win in 2020, we will descend into fascism.

Last edited:
I guess this should be no surprise....i've already witnessed it myself

The Social-Distancing Culture War Has Begun
Across the country, social distancing is becoming a way to signal which side of the culture war you’re on. The consequences could be disastrous.

For Geoff Frost, the first sign of the coronavirus culture war came last weekend on the golf course. His country club, located in an affluent suburb of Atlanta, had recently introduced a slew of new policies to encourage social distancing. The communal water jugs were gone, the restaurant was closed, and golfers had been asked to limit themselves to one person per cart. Frost, a 43-year-old Democrat, told me the club’s mix of younger liberals and older conservatives had always gotten along just fine—but the guidelines were proving divisive.

At the driving range, while Frost and his like-minded friends slathered on hand sanitizer and kept six feet apart, the white-haired Republicans seemed to delight in breaking the new rules. They made a show of shaking hands, and complained loudly about the “stupid hoax” being propagated by virus alarmists. When their tee times were up, they piled defiantly into golf carts, shoulder to shoulder, and sped off toward the first hole..

Frost felt conflicted. He wanted to encourage the men, some of whom he’d known for years, to be more careful. “I care about their well-being,” he told me. “But it’s a tough call, just personally, because it’s become a political thing.”...

the replies are full of people standing outside hospitals filming the front doors and saying there's nobody around

Sure, but FL is the problem and DeSantis hasn't done enough to protect Floridians from each other.

"Libertarian legal scholar" Richard Epstein seems like a guy who tells people what they want to hear for a living. Actual science is way out of his domain.

It's also a troubling trend of people who screwed up the HIV crisis in the 1980s being called for help during this crisis.

Here's a related article from WaPo. It's actually a problem throughout the sciences.

[h=1]Coronavirus modelers factor in new public health risk: Accusations their work is a hoax[/h]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/27/coronavirus-models-politized-trump/

Republicans love to not know shit. And then when what the experts predicted actually happens, they're like "well, nobody could have known that."

animals.

I have an anti-vaccine, new world order, general conspiracy theorist, high school classmate I keep on Facebook to see what outlandish stuff they're being brainwashed into these days. It's a scary reality check that these people exist and are apparently growing in numbers. My favorite recent one was;

where are the names??? The holocaust has memorials with the names of all the people who died - how come there isn't the same for coronavirus?? Where are the bodies??

If doctors and nurses on the front lines in a hospital are demonized and politicized during this crisis, I’m going to be so pissed off

If doctors and nurses on the front lines in a hospital are demonized and politicized during this crisis, I’m going to be so pissed off

If you’re not already pissed off by Trump suggesting nurses are selling masks on the black market, I’m sure he’ll say something tomorrow that will piss you off even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back