• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen graphs that show it on a logarithmic scale. The US is not doing better.

Whether we do "better" remains to be seen. We are behind them on the development of the shittiest of our shittiest numbers. And for some of their nations they still aren't there yet. And our largest metro area has taken it on the fucking chin in some part because of population density and in some part because they were slow to enforce social distancing. And if you thought this week was tough for New York and New Jersey I get the feeling next week will be the actual apex of awful for them. I still believe we need a nationwide lockdown with massive penalties for those who break the rules (a la what Germany finally did).

So a bit of math now and a bit later.

The modeling on potential deaths from the University of Washington has come down a bit over time.

As for how states are doing at present here's the list on a per capita basis. Obviously this will shift as many states are not moving into the bad part of their curve yet while others are in a much worse place right now.

1 New York (as of right now New York as around 40% of all US deaths and they are projected to end up with about 21-22% of all the nation's deaths based on the 3/31 projections).

2 Louisiana

3 New Jersey

4 Michigan

5 Washington

6 Connecticut

7 Vermont (surprisingly high death rate per case load)

8 Massachusetts

9 (DC)

10 USA IN TOTAL

11 Georgia

12 Colorado

13 Illinois

14 Nevada

15 Delaware

16 Indiana

17 Rhode Island

18 Mississippi

19 Oklahoma

20 Pennsylvania

21 Kentucky (moving up fast)

22 Ohio

23 Alabama

24 Wisconsin

25 Florida (Looking at the underlying math I fear they are going to scream up this list fast)

26 Maryland

27 California (getting an awful lot of attention as a "hot spot" by the media)

28 Montana

29 Tennessee

30 Maine

31 Idaho

32 South Carolina

33 Oregon

34 Virginia

35 Arizona

36 Kansas

37 Alaska

38 Arkansas

39 NoDak

40 Missouri

41 Iowa

42 Minnesota

43 New Hampshire

44 New Mexico

45 Texas

46 Nebraska

47 SoDak

48 Utah

49 North Carolina

50 West Virginia

51 Hawaii

52 Wyoming (the only state with zero deaths to date).

Reported death rates on total of all confirmed cases by country as of this afternoon. These will continue to move around quite a bit:

Italy 12.07%

Iran 6.26% (although there is conflicting data that would place this well over 12%)

South Korea 1.69%

France 9.01%

Switzerland 2.85% (high reported infection rate - higher than Italy's)

Netherlands 9.07%

Norway 1%

Sweden 5.6%

Belgium 6.6%

Austria 1.4%

Denmark 3.4%

Portugal 2.3%

Ireland 2.6%

Panama 2.4%

Colombia 1.6%

Dominican Republic 4.4%

China 4%

Spain 9.23%

Germany 1.31%

UK 8.56%

Japan 2.5%

Canada 1.2% (huge jump in reported cases today)

Australia 0.5%

Singapore 0.4%

Hong Kong 0.5%

Thailand 1%

USA 2.4%

- New York 2.6%
- Washington 4.1% (driven by multiple nursing homes)
- California 2%
- Massachusetts 1.7%
- New Jersey 2.1%
- Florida 1.4%
- Minnesota 2.4%
- Utah 0.6%
- Indiana 2.6%
- Kentucky 4%

Global 5.12%

Any explanation for the abrupt slow down in deaths today? Over 1000 yesterday. Doesn’t look like it will hit 1000 today.

Slightly lower deaths today, wouldn't call it an abrupt slow down. Obviously hope it continues but I doubt it.

Well it seemed like an abrupt slow down when I posted and there were only about 700.

I'd again focus on total new reported cases. Looks to me like New York is leveling off day over day - some up - some down - sort of starting to make real headway. Need that to hold and then see them start decreasing like we've seen a few places in Europe - Italy, Netherlands, Belgium.

Not true because they adjust the graphs so the countries start at an infection level of 100 cases and move by day. A more accurate comparison would be either compare the US to Western Europe, but that wouldn't paint the picture that they want.

I've seen graphs that show it on a logarithmic scale. The US is not doing better.

Here you go. BTW, this is posted on the most R leaning website I regularly read.

covid_19.png

OK - Final math for today. Increase in total new cases is the first number and increase/decrease in new cases day over day is second number.

Italy - 4.22% / -2.38% - I really want to see the numbers trickle down at a steeper rate.

Iran - I'm not even going to bother. I don't believe their math, at all.

South Korea - No data posted since I've been up today.

France - 3.77% / -55.63%. I tend to think this is anecdotal. They had over 7,000 new cases 2 days ago and just 2,100 today. Something is likely amiss in the reporting.

Switzerland - 5.96% / -8.94%. Their math bounces around a bit, sort of like Austria. Bad days they are doing 1,000 to 1,100 new cases a day. Good days 600 to 700. But we are no longer seeing exponential rises in numbers. Higher infection rate, btw, than Italy.

Netherlands - 7.97% / 6.12%. They are flattening and together with Belgium look to be moving into the same type of place Italy was a handful of days ago. We are no longer seeing 13-20% total case rises day over day.

Norway - 5.84% / 10.08%. I'm actually a bit concerned they keep ticking up. But they do a ton of testing. 200 or so new cases a day every day for a while now. Want to see it start ticking down consistently.

Sweden 12.55% / 21.29%. They have no really done the full on social distancing and it is showing. New cases were 200-300 a few days back. Now they are 500-650 a day.

Belgium - 9.91% / 16.40% - See Holland.

Austria - 3.9% / -21.3% Data starting to look a bit more consistent. But I need to see more. 300 one day then 1300 the next, then 500, then 850, then 550 or so the last couple of days.

Denmark - 8.6% / 12.75%. Jumped from 180 or so most days to high 200's the last few days. Hope that is the peak. We'll see.

Portugal - 9.49%/ -3.09%. Sort of like Austria although not as big a variance. Want more time to confirm a trend.

Ireland - 11.7% / 89.6%. Started a bit later on the distancing. May take a bit.

Spain - 7.63% / -3.03%. They are a bit behind Italy but definitely showing progress on lowering that day over day total increase and starting to see some down days on new cases day over day.

Germany - 21.3% / 23.46%. Definitely went full on social distancing later. So I think the math will bounce around for a while. Bad day.

UK - 14.42% / -1.7%. Crazy high death rate, low testing numbers, behind other nations on distancing. I think the hard part is yet to come.

Japan 4.66% / -46%. Generally seeing new cases go up 200 or so a day. That's up from around 100 a day last week. Today it was only 70. But I think it is anecdotal and I'll wake up and see a bigger number in the AM.

Canada - 18.03% / 77.92%. Ugh. Looks like Quebec is turning into a hot spot. Bad day. Generally on a similar trajectory as the US

Australia - 5.22% / -16.17%. Domestic travel bans in effect now. In a country with only a handful of real population centers it makes sense. Data bouncing around. Sort of on a similar trajectory as the US and Canada.

USA - 13.19% / 3.91%. The rate of increase in total cases looks like it is holding steady or even trending down a bit. That being said it was still a record day on new cases, led by New York having a record day on new cases. Of the states I track Washington, Indiana, New York and Florida all had pretty bad days. I am quite concerned about Florida generally.

Here you go. BTW, this is posted on the most R leaning website I regularly read.

covid_19.png

The problem with all of these graphs is they are not done on a per capita scale. The US has 350M people. That's more than the populations of Italy, Spain, Germany, the UK and France combined (like you could add in Holland and still maybe not quite get there). Focus on rates. We have been doing about a 15% daily increase in total cases of late. Today it was actually 13% and change (even as we reported our highest total new cases in any day today). When Italy and Spain were at their worst points they were doing 23-24-25% a day total case increases. That's sort of what I've seen over and over with many countries. We went through that as well - led by New York - after they did. We are basically, right now, where Italy was around March 20th - sort of that 15% a day total case increase. Today they are at about 4% a day. I am skeptical we can move down to that level that quickly, however, because of the size of our population and geographic spread of the country. Definitely cause for concern, but right now our case increases are tracking sort of like Canada's are and that makes sense.

One admitted problem with this method is testing rates. That still varies from country to country. Like the UK has been putrid at it. Germany good at it. Norway great at it. We sucked at it and now we're doing as many tests a day as the UK says they want to be doing by the end of April.

Not true because they adjust the graphs so the countries start at an infection level of 100 cases and move by day. A more accurate comparison would be either compare the US to Western Europe, but that wouldn't paint the picture that they want.

I work for a big bank that will be an integral part of administering the SBA-backed program. We will almost certainly lose money on this given we are lending at 0.5% and have to allocate a ton of resources to the review and processing of applications. We also are open to a ton of liability which I assume the government will eventually indemnify us against but for the time being we are on the hook for validating what our clients submit to us. So yeah not a great situation. And the government is leaning hard on us to be ready to go tomorrow even though the actual parameters of the program are still in flux. It’s been chaos.

Just read on FT that the banks are getting like crazy origination fees from the govt

https://www.ft.com/content/c584885c-6d64-4531-99e6-334c6ec0c57c

Banks will receive processing fees, paid by the federal government, for making the loans. The fees will vary with loan size: 5 per cent for loans under $350,000, 3 per cent for loans under $2m, and 1 per cent for loans greater than $2m. The loans will not incur a capital charge.

So our bank will get quite a lot of money for literally one days' work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back