• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"There's no way to justify or say Trump has done anything but cause needless deaths."

You are foolish to think that a vast majority of Americans feel that way.

Yeah from my experience I think most people who don’t live on the internet see how countries with wildly different governments, cultures, and healthcare from China, Iran, Italy, Spain, etc all over the globe are all struggling to come up with the “correct” response to COVID-19 and think there’s probably not that much a government can really do

Also the fact of the matter is we still don’t know what the correct response is, we’re hoping shelter in place is the answer but we have no real idea how this is going to go long term. Not knowing is certainly stoking up massive anxiety in a lot of people and I think you can especially see that anywhere you go on the internet where people are understandably going to let off steam

"There's no way to justify or say Trump has done anything but cause needless deaths."

You are foolish to think that a vast majority of Americans feel that way.

True, we know now that the vast majority of Americans are complete morons.

As people start dying in bigger numbers in red states (sadly they will), Trump's monumental incompetence and ego driven attacks on people doing the right thing will drive down his numbers.

Trump is making W and Brownie look like they handled Katrina perfectly. There's no way to justify or say Trump has done anything but cause needless deaths.

Trump's response to the hurricane in Puerto Rico was an excellent indicator of his response to this crisis.

Oh no! Cuomo sucks again!

When will the board portfolio bros tell us which white male moderate with an easily googable terrible track record is bae next?

My bookie's site has Trump -140 to win the election right now. You don't need to bet each other if you want to put money on it. Probably will throw a couple hundred on the other side, but not very confident in it.

OK. So just like I did with new cases I went and charted daily deaths for the collective of Holland, Spain, France, Italy, Germany and the UK vs. the US. Again the population of those nations roughly approximates our own. I figured the trend lines might look similar as they did with the new cases chart I created. But that is not the case. The European line is much steeper than the US line. When I adjust it back 10 days then that difference is muted to some extent. For this second chart I plot the US and the European collective each from the day they recorded 6 deaths in one day. It does mute the difference to a good extent but there is still a noted separation between the trend lines. Not sure what accounts for this entirely - perhaps the demographics of who is falling ill, available resources at any point in time (for instance I know Italy begged other countries in the EU for respirators and supplies and was denied by several countries). Regardless, perhaps that is a spot of good news for our overall outcome. I'll keep tracking it as there is no doubt we are just now moving into the harder part of this whole thing; perhaps that alone closes the gap or even flips the trend lines.

I would think it has something to do with population density as well. Rural areas in the US are not getting hit as hard yet because the collision rate is slower. I feel like the US will have a longer tail of infection because of how long it will take to get to more rural areas.

Oh no! Cuomo sucks again!

When will the board portfolio bros tell us which white male moderate with an easily googable terrible track record is bae next?

What happened?

I would think it has something to do with population density as well. Rural areas in the US are not getting hit as hard yet because the collision rate is slower. I feel like the US will have a longer tail of infection because of how long it will take to get to more rural areas.

Maybe. Tend to agree. But not entirely clear. Anecdotal but if you look at MN on a per capita basis as of yesterday the hardest hit counties were a county in the middle of the state that borders Iowa (very rural) and a host of counties clustered around Rochester (Mayo Clinic). The three most populous counties ranked 15th, 26th and 27th out of 88 or 89 counties. And that has held true for the last few days. Not saying that holds longer term, but it shows this thing can get a hold pretty much anywhere and take off.

Trump is a talented con man and huckster.

And a moron.

He’s infinitely out of his league trying to manage a real crisis with real consequences.

Yeah this is what is getting lost in this when you start talking confounding variables, its a virus and a human population you can't just take raw data. Even in simplistic flawed raw data, you don't need to start combining countries to get a similar population for comparisons you just weight the populations to an assigned value. If you go by the raw numbers you say well Shit the US is fucked look at our line compared to Spain, Italy, and Germany. You weight it by population and you say well Fuck yeah US is the best, comparable to Germany, while Italy and Spain are horrible. Then you take into account what redwing states and weight by population while controlling for population density of the continental US compared to Germany, Italy, and Spain, and you go back to Spain is fucked, we are second fucked, Italy actually isnt so bad and Germany is best. That's just the most simplistic explanation of how you can't just take raw values when there's so many factors that go into an actual model, since by simply adding two things you know to be real you get vastly different outcomes.

Agree. Obviously, there are countless variables at play, but the consensus seems to be that virus spreads via close personal contact. Excluding the European part of Russia, Europe has 628 million people over 2.53 million square miles. The U.S. has 330 million people over 3.53 million square miles. Obviously, there are places in the U.S. (e.g., NYC) that are more dense than most parts of Europe, but as a whole, Europe has almost 3 times the population density as the U.S. That increased density has to be play some role in the number of people transmitting and getting the virus.

Who on here is lionizing Cuomo?

Agree. Obviously, there are countless variables at play, but the consensus seems to be that virus spreads via close personal contact. Excluding the European part of Russia, Europe has 628 million people over 2.53 million square miles. The U.S. has 330 million people over 3.53 million square miles. Obviously, there are places in the U.S. (e.g., NYC) that are more dense than most parts of Europe, but as a whole, Europe has almost 3 times the population density as the U.S. That increased density has to be play some role in the number of people transmitting and getting the virus.

It's not only population density alone, it's also the way people live. People in Europe are much more likely to use public transit, shop in smaller stores, live in apartment buildings and cohabitate with multiple generations, etc.

Europe is positively a wide open prairie of social distancing compared to the subcontinent or parts of sub-Saharan Africa though :eek:hnoes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back