• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
University of Washington has put out new projections on deaths for the nation and state by state. The high, mid and low projections all dropped pretty significantly for the nation. But the math for the states hit pretty hard to date - New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Florida - is rough. On the high projection of the nation those 5 states project to 43% of all deaths, on the mid case 56% and on the low case somewhere in between. North Carolina's projections for a large state population wise remain towards the low end of all states per capita.

Deacman - that site, IHME, now has projections for European nations (and regions within hardest-hit countries) as well. The projections are not perfect but better than nothing.

We should probably start a thread devoted to projections, if it can remain clutter-free.

Perhaps. But that doesn't explain what is happening in a host of places that are similar in terms of density. And NC is definitely a crossroads between DC and Atlanta. Nor does it explain the low number of deaths per total cases reported to date compared to other places in the country.

I don't know what you mean by crossroads. The disease is traveling more by airplane than I-85. Charlotte has the nation's 6th busiest airport with almost four times as many traveler as RDU and a lot more international flights.

Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) has the highest rate of cases in the state, followed by Northampton County (east of Roanoke Rapids), which has a population of 22,000 and a nursing home outbreak. Mecklenburg County is 75% more dense than Wake and Durham Counties.

The black community in Charlotte is showing a disproportionate number of cases. 33% of the population of the county is black, but black people account for 45% of the cases.

I don't know what you mean by crossroads. The disease is traveling more by airplane than I-85. Charlotte has the nation's 6th busiest airport with almost four times as many traveler as RDU and a lot more international flights.

Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) has the highest rate of cases in the state, followed by Northampton County (east of Roanoke Rapids), which has a population of 22,000 and a nursing home outbreak. Mecklenburg County is 75% more dense than Wake and Durham Counties.

The black community in Charlotte is showing a disproportionate number of cases. 33% of the population of the county is black, but black people account for 45% of the cases.

Not sure you can conclude how the virus is traveling after it has seeded itself in the US.

Not surprised Mecklenburg would be hardest hit.

Anyway, my point is North Carolina is a state with two major interstates that criss cross it in a large population corridor - DC all the way to Atlanta. Indiana has been hit very hard in large part because Indianapolis is a road transport hub to Chicago, Detroit, Louisville, Cincy and Columbus. Whatever North Carolina has done to date (or whatever circumstance happens to exist there) in a relative sense has so far allowed it to avoid the same number of deaths relative to states with similar case loads.

IHME death projections through the first wave for key European contries:

Total cumulative COVID-19 deaths predicted through first wave: average projection (estimate range)

United Kingdom 66,314 (range: 55,022 to 79,995)

Italy 20,300 (19,533 to 21,185)

Spain 19,209 (18,049 to 20,651)

France 15,058 (12,906 to 17,715)

Makes you wonder if Trump would be better off with his current cabinet or a group of various frozen foods.

Without a doubt.

And all these little vaginas who "didn't vote for him" will sit on their hands and let him get away with it and be all like "I didn't vote for him, and whatabout that bad thing Biden said in '82???"

Don't use vagina as an insult.

Sounds like something a vagina would say.

My in-laws just called to ask if they could still take my daughter on the Disney cruise they have scheduled on May 11. I’ll give you one guess as to which news channel they watch.

Andy Slavitt said this was a trend last night

Today's the day that the upper limit of the predicted H1N1 pandemic US deaths will be passed, the bar Trump set for himself has now been passed, surprise surprise. Thanks Obama!!!

Today's the day that the upper limit of the predicted H1N1 pandemic US deaths will be passed, the bar Trump set for himself has now been passed, surprise surprise. Thanks Obama!!!

I'm starting to wonder if the Deep State created this so called "virus" in a Chinese laboratory to try and undermine the Trump presidency.

Sorry, lemme rephrase that.

And all these little cunts who "didn't vote for him" will sit on their hands and let him get away with it and be all like "I didn't vote for him, and whatabout that bad thing Biden said in '82???"

Sounds like something a vagina would say.

My in-laws just called to ask if they could still take my daughter on the Disney cruise they have scheduled on May 11. I’ll give you one guess as to which news channel they watch.

I hope you clearly explained to them how stupid and reckless they are.

Stand by what I said. Lots of women in my life and calling someone weak by insinuating they are female is the real weakness. Even as a joke.

More "good" news out of Italy today. New cases day over day drop down to under 3,100. Deaths day over day are falling as well. Also some signs New York has moved into a plateau phase for new cases day over day. The gradual step down may have begun there. If Italy and Spain serve as examples it will take a very long time to walk it back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back