• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound harsh, but does anything of value come in the mail other than bills? How many shitty catalogs does a house need?
Checks come, for one.
Yes, I'm well aware that the government has made a push to go to direct deposit with all it's cash distribution, S.S., tax refunds, etc. But, even then, there are still those that get physical checks.
Most private companies that send rebates, refunds, etc, give recommendations to direct deposit too. But some folks just refuse to have a bank account/S&L membership.

If they push too hard, they're going to put themselves in the position of forcing people back to business as usual before they're ready.

I don't think business owners want to be in the position of telling employees working from home "we need you to come back to the office because Trump said so." We also don't want businesses opening back up before people are ready to go back to those businesses.

Exactly- things will start easing back during May, IMO. Trump is itching to open things up and he'll give cover for the reopening. There will be restrictions in place wrt how many people can congregate in stores/restaurants etc, airlines will keep middle seats open etc. People want to get out and will start doing the calculus- if you are older or have pre-existing conditions, you'll likely want to stay in. If you are young/healthy, you do the math- 0.5% fatality rate among young/healthy, 50/50 chnace of getting it- ok I have a 1 in 400 chance of dying of this thing, many people will take those chances. Therapeutics also hopefully on the way this summer.

I dont see how the science will be anywhere robust enough to have people semi-confidentally go out in just a month or so. And frankly 1/400 ish chance to die still isnt good enough odds for me to go out and get a bloomin onion from outback. Im staying home as long as possible

Not to mention that seems to ignore the risk of non-fatal severe illness.

Math from today.

US - total new cases down 154 from yesterday - still over 33,000 new cases. That's about 39% of all new cases globally today.

Italy - new cases now again over 4,000. Not good.

France - new cases up almost 1,000 vs. yesterday.

Switzerland - new cases down about 340 vs. yesterday (766 today)

Netherlands - new cases at about 1,200 today. Pretty much their all time high for new cases. Not good.

Sweden - new cases continue to ramp. Over 700 today. They have not engaged in distancing.

Belgium - new cases over 1500 today. Close to an all time high.

Austria - looks like they have tiered down on new cases. Now doing about 300 per day. Were higher a week ago.

Spain and Germany - new cases both down today. More in norm with where they had been headed.

UK - New cases in line with average over the last week or so. Around 4400

Canada - Over 2000 new cases yesterday. Today about 650. Not sure how they are getting the data into one central place.

Japan. Similar to the UK only they are at about 400 a day now.

Globally - new cases down significantly - 103,000 yesterday and about 85,500 today. Trend generally though on new cases is higher over the last 5-7 days.

US supposedly has now tested about 1,700,000.

I dont see how the science will be anywhere robust enough to have people semi-confidentally go out in just a month or so. And frankly 1/400 ish chance to die still isnt good enough odds for me to go out and get a bloomin onion from outback. Im staying home as long as possible

I think some portion of people would go back out. Whether that is enough to keep the lights on at restaurants, etc. is another question entirely though.

I think some portion of people would go back out. Whether that is enough to keep the lights on at restaurants, etc. is another question entirely though.

Restaurants are at such a low margin that any small % of people not going out will likely kill them. What would be nice and effective would be a grand decrease in the value of land/real estate/rents across the board.

CA released their COVID-19 demographic data. Cases and deaths are pretty comparable to the population with respect to race.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-048.aspx

Meanwhile, other states that have released their data show cases and deaths disproportionately affect black residents.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2020/04/09/why-are-blacks-dying-at-higher-rates-from-covid-19/

There is a saying—“When America catches a cold, Black people get the flu.” Well, in 2020, when America catches coronavirus, Black people die. Blacks in about every state with racial data available have higher contraction rates and higher death rates of COVID-19.
In Michigan, Blacks make up 15% of the state population but represent 35% of people diagnosed with COVID-19. This means that Blacks in Michigan are 133% more likely to contract the novel coronavirus relative to their percentage of the state. With a death rate hovering near 4% in Michigan, Blacks are also over-represented for deaths related to COVID-19, accounting for 40% of all deaths statewide. For comparison, Whites represent 25% of people diagnosed with COVID-19 and 26% of deaths. Whites make-up over 75% of the state population.
In Illinois, Blacks represent about 16% of the state but 30% of people diagnosed with COVID-19. In Chicago, Blacks represent 70% of people who have died from coronavirus. North Carolina, South Carolina, and New York show the same pattern with slightly smaller gaps. Among the four states shown below, Blacks are 74% more likely to contract coronavirus than their percentage of the state. These disparities are likely to continue as the virus spreads to new areas. The coronavirus has not even hit rural America hard yet, where many counties do not even have a single hospital bed.

92458516_10216463345671761_2187962078382260224_n.jpg

Not true because they adjust the graphs so the countries start at an infection level of 100 cases and move by day. A more accurate comparison would be either compare the US to Western Europe, but that wouldn't paint the picture that they want.

I've seen graphs that show it on a logarithmic scale. The US is not doing better.

CA released their COVID-19 demographic data. Cases and deaths are pretty comparable to the population with respect to race.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-048.aspx

Meanwhile, other states that have released their data show cases and deaths disproportionately affect black residents.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2020/04/09/why-are-blacks-dying-at-higher-rates-from-covid-19/

you'd have to think the blacks part is largely cause it hits the cities first, like Detroit. Reading the CA portion, just scary that 10% of all total cases are healthcare workers. At some point they have to just stop showing up to work out of self-preservation.

yeah, the connection between "value" and value seems very flimsy

It's really bizarre. The thing I bought at $1,705 45 days ago now costs $2,100 on the same website (and all similar websites). Yet if I sold it back to them, I'd take like a 10% loss. Really makes no sense.

you'd have to think the blacks part is largely cause it hits the cities first, like Detroit. Reading the CA portion, just scary that 10% of all total cases are healthcare workers. At some point they have to just stop showing up to work out of self-preservation.

The African American disparity in cases has been discussed widely on national news shows, on local news shows and during national press conferences. The causes are:

- more likely than the rest of the population to have underlying health conditions
- more likely to live in dense housing (not just the fact the community is more urban in nature but also actual living conditions)
- more likely to need to use public transportation to get from place to place
- more likely to have jobs that cannot be done from home
- more likely to have less access to information about how the virus transmits

Here's a story from New York before the virus really started to hit the city hard about lack of information in public housing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrWb-kl5NI

And healthcare workers will not stop going to work in large numbers. Incredible dedication to others.

Meanwhile the Trump administration is talking about opening back up the economy next month. And Trump supporters are happy about this false hope.

The governors will control this. The Feds just give guidelines. NC won’t open back up until Roy says so.

If they push too hard, they're going to put themselves in the position of forcing people back to business as usual before they're ready.

I don't think business owners want to be in the position of telling employees working from home "we need you to come back to the office because Trump said so." We also don't want businesses opening back up before people are ready to go back to those businesses.

They won't force anything in terms of office workers. Many businesses acted in advance of the government sending people to work from home. Businesses have every reason to want a healthy workforce. And most businesses are doing all they can to assure those workers who have to go into the office to do their jobs are protected - enforcing social distancing, having people work in smaller shifts, encouraging people who take public transport to use it on non-peak hours, having people wear masks, telling people from different departments in the same office not to see anyone from outside their own department, quarantining mail before it is opened, wiping down critical packages before they are opened, deep cleaning the office with great frequency. I have talked to dozens of vendors and distributors for our own company globally. I can't think of a single one not adhering to the significant majority or all of these practices.

If testing and tracking are not achievable this summer and treatments/vaccines will not be available soon, then how likely is it we will be able to increase our health care capacity (beds, ventilators, etc.) through surge production and distribution to be ready by the second wave? Perhaps that is the way to open up the economy while minimizing the harms to human life.

This is necessary but not sufficient. My hospital has a plan in place to increase our capacity by ~5000 beds, including a thousand bed surge hospital that we've created on our health education campus that will be ready next week. We are also sending people to Michigan and New York to help. But while having sufficient capacity to prevent overflow will decrease the mortality rate to some degree (both of Covid patients and others who need hospital services), keeping it below the awful all cause mortality spikes we are seeing in parts of Italy for example, it's still too high, and opening up the economy without an effective therapeutic is going to result in a lot of death.

We also need to hope this isn't a situation like the Spanish Flu, where the second wave in the fall was significantly worse than the initial wave in the spring.

The African American disparity in cases has been discussed widely on national news shows, on local news shows and during national press conferences. The causes are:

- more likely than the rest of the population to have underlying health conditions
- more likely to live in dense housing (not just the fact the community is more urban in nature but also actual living conditions)
- more likely to need to use public transportation to get from place to place
- more likely to have jobs that cannot be done from home
- more likely to have less access to information about how the virus transmits

Here's a story from New York before the virus really started to hit the city hard about lack of information in public housing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrWb-kl5NI

And healthcare workers will not stop going to work in large numbers. Incredible dedication to others.

And stuff like this doesn't help either. "Man arrested after streaming Over-the-Rhine block party, defying stay-at-home order, police said" https://www.wcpo.com/news/coronavirus/cpd-is-monitoring-social-media-after-video-of-large-gathering-circulates-online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back