• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDC Director: 'Very Aggressive' Contact Tracing Needed For U.S. To Return To Normal

He’s correct, if we want to otherwise approximate “opening up” our economy before we have an effective and available vaccine.

But can we ramp up our Public Health system to do this? Will be interesting to see.

Happy if a consequence of all this is a more vigorous Public Health system.

My guess is, not no but hell no, we can't ramp up our Public Health system. I just can't believe we can staff it to the levels needed.

I live in a fairly affluent county. My wife works with someone who left work exhibiting Covid symptoms on 3/13 and who got tested that weekend, was positive, and ended up on a vent (she's been extubated). Our county had maybe 10 known positive cases at that time. My wife received an email after business hours on 3/27 telling her she needed to shelter in place until...3/27. Totally worthless information. So the system in place couldn't handle a minuscule case load.

Trump won't do that. It would be admitting he was wrong and fucked up over and over again.

you'd have to think the blacks part is largely cause it hits the cities first, like Detroit. Reading the CA portion, just scary that 10% of all total cases are healthcare workers. At some point they have to just stop showing up to work out of self-preservation.

21% of the cases in Ohio are healthcare workers :(

More on the undercounting

I mean there is some study by a group associated with MIT looking at sewer waste in a small section of Massachusetts that estimates there are at least 115,000 people infected from their surveillance data. I haven't seen the actual methods, paper, etc... just the reports about it but just alone making that assumption means 40 to 50 times greater case count, which puts the actual US estimate at around 20 million infections.

I mean there is some study by a group associated with MIT looking at sewer waste in a small section of Massachusetts that estimates there are at least 115,000 people infected from their surveillance data. I haven't seen the actual methods, paper, etc... just the reports about it but just alone making that assumption means 40 to 50 times greater case count, which puts the actual US estimate at around 20 million infections.

I don't mean cases. We know we are under counting cases. I think it has been less clear to the extent that we are under counting deaths.

Disease Control, Civil Liberties, and Mass Testing — Calibrating Restrictions during the Covid-19 Pandemic

From the NEJM. JUST TO CLARIFY...neither author is a medical doctor (like meeeee!)! One, however, teaches at WFU.

Anyhow, it’s a decent discussion, IMO.

...Viewing Covid-19–related restrictions as more of a public policy issue than a legal one, then, how can a graduated model chart a course that appropriately balances disease control and civil liberties? We believe that decisions to continue, modify, or lift severe restrictions — particularly bans on movement and gathering — should be tailored using credible person-level information. The key source of such information would be a population-wide program of disease testing and surveillance. By identifying people most likely to transmit infection in the near term, individualized risk assessment would respond to Covid-19’s distinctively dangerous risk profile. At the same time, it would avoid sharp trade-offs between discriminatory or unduly broad restrictions and the perils associated with wholesale loosening of restrictions.

To be sure, testing itself is an intrusion. But considering this pandemic’s magnitude, effective testing can reduce or prevent the need for much greater intrusions. Moreover, a degree of voluntariness is maintained by eschewing forced testing and instead conditioning social privileges on cooperation.

Consider, for example, a policy in which people seeking to return to work, school, or social activities are asked to undergo baseline testing for infection and antibodies. Positive tests for infection would trigger self-isolation. Negative tests would certify freedom of movement for a defined period — say, 2 or 3 weeks — after which additional negative tests would renew the certification. If antibodies are determined to provide long-term protection against both reinfection and transmission — which is plausible but not yet established — a positive serologic test would warrant longer-term certification.

Aggregating test results at community and state levels would support a reliable disease-surveillance system. A testing regimen’s stringency could then be dialed up or down, depending on community prevalence of Covid-19. China is following a version of this approach by grading community risk on a four-tier, color-coded scale.

Titrating restrictive measures in this way would require a testing regimen on a scale unparalleled in U.S. history. Federal, state, and local governments would play a role in financing and oversight but would need to rely heavily on hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, retail pharmacies, mobile health services, and private laboratories for implementation. Civil-society organizations (e.g., employers, schools, and retailers) would also have financial and reputational incentives to foster compliance with government directives...

I saw a picture of a church marquee. It said:

HAPPY EASTER
Jesus rode an ass into Jerusalem
Keep yours at home

FWIW, Iceland estimates 1/2 of all their cases are asymptomatic. So take whatever number they've posted and double it.

Also, we know someone who passed away two nights ago from a heart attack. Person had not been feeling well for a couple of weeks. Complained about being really tired. Went to rest in another room. Spouse came in a few minutes later. Makes you wonder. Had not gone to Dr. or gotten a test.

Some reports of cardiomyopathy associated with the illness...would increase risk for dysthymia or even arrest.

Some reports of cardiomyopathy associated with the illness...would increase risk for dysthymia or even arrest.

There are also reports of an increase in thrombotic events (stroke, MI, etc).

There are also reports of an increase in thrombotic events (stroke, MI, etc).

Any idea what the mechanism behind that would be? does it somehow affect coagulability? or possibly related to immobility increasing DVT risk?

Any idea what the mechanism behind that would be? does it somehow affect coagulability? or possibly related to immobility increasing DVT risk?

I’m not certain, but there is a theory that the virus interacts with hemoglobin and causes iron overload, which can lead to thrombosis. This may be why men, with higher hemoglobin levels, do worse than women.

Good for him. To give credit where it's due, DeWine seems to be in a different league from some other GOP governors, like DeSantis and Kemp. Don't care for his politics, but at least he seems to be proactive and practical and actually concerned about the health of the citizens of his state, including even prisoners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back