• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Florida man has plan to reopen schools. This should end well."

Coronavirus 2nd Wave? Nope, The U.S. Is Still Stuck In The 1st One

... "If things stay basically status quo and we continue doing what we're doing, we're going to continue seeing 25,000 to 30,000 additional deaths a month for the foreseeable future," Jha says.

Grim as it is, even this picture may be overly rosy, Jha adds. "I'm worried that the idea that we're going to stay flat all summer is a very optimistic view of what is going to happen over the next three months," he says.

To maintain a reproduction number that's just over 1, or better yet, push it back to just under 1, even in the midst of further re-opening "would take a lot of work," Jha says. "You'd have to have really substantially ramped-up testing and isolation [of new cases]." There's also evidence emerging that widespread use of masks by people when they are out in public could help, Jha notes. Unfortunately, he says, it is hard to envision the U.S. adopting any of these practices to a sufficient degree "based on where we are today."

The seasonal effect

It gets worse...

Pretty much.

Last edited:
The stories of super sick and dying people from this are incredibly sad.

We could and should be responding so much more effectively in order to better mitigate this epidemic.

Shame on [the] US.

Thx Pubs...mostly.

The stories of super sick and dying people from this are incredibly sad.

We could and should be responding so much more effectively in order to better mitigate this epidemic.

Shame on [the] US.

Thx Pubs...mostly.

Went grocery shopping yesterday, got take-out for breakfast at a local diner, and got coffee at a Starbucks. While all of the employees at the diner, Starbucks, and grocery store were wearing masks, my guess is that 75 to 80% of the people in all three places didn't have masks on, were not observing social distancing, and didn't seem to care. And all 3 places were packed with people. And unlike a couple of months ago there were no demographic differences in who was and was not wearing masks - young and old, male and female, black and white, and so on - the percentages were about the same. Many folks seem to be acting as if the crisis is over. I do think if they try to restart the lockdown, it could get really ugly this time, and politicians of all stripes will face a major backlash. Many people just don't seem to give a shit, as long as they can eat out and not wear a mask and do what they want.

The really frustrating thing is that we could open up far more successfully if we’d used the early months to organize and implement an effective testing and tracing program that enabled us to isolate appropriately selected folks.

Seems we’re not gonna do this until possibly after January. But almost certainly by then it’ll remain be a mess even more difficult to correct than in the beginning.

We’ve blown our chance to take advantage of the window of opportunity provided by the early willingness of folks to hunker down.

Again, thx Pubs...mostly.

I think Andy Slavitt posted it but had Trump just said back in March, wear a mask in public and actually worn one even for one of his shit photo ops, I bet our numbers would have been cut substantially. What a fucking disaster of a response.

I think Andy Slavitt posted it but had Trump just said back in March, wear a mask in public and actually worn one even for one of his shit photo ops, I bet our numbers would have been cut substantially. What a fucking disaster of a response.

They could have made MAGA masks and saved lives. Would have been a fundraising dream and saved lives.

Went grocery shopping yesterday, got take-out for breakfast at a local diner, and got coffee at a Starbucks. While all of the employees at the diner, Starbucks, and grocery store were wearing masks, my guess is that 75 to 80% of the people in all three places didn't have masks on, were not observing social distancing, and didn't seem to care. And all 3 places were packed with people. And unlike a couple of months ago there were no demographic differences in who was and was not wearing masks - young and old, male and female, black and white, and so on - the percentages were about the same. Many folks seem to be acting as if the crisis is over. I do think if they try to restart the lockdown, it could get really ugly this time, and politicians of all stripes will face a major backlash. Many people just don't seem to give a shit, as long as they can eat out and not wear a mask and do what they want.

I saw a tweet that said something like “We need to retire the saying ‘avoid it like the plague’ because apparently humans don’t do that.”

Trump has fucked a lot of things up and I wear a mask, but I believe the CDC did not change its stance and recommend masks until April 3

and yes I understand Trump is the President and CDC ultimately is his responsibility, but I do not believe CDC's initial guidance that healthy people should not wear masks was directly due to Trump

Trump has fucked a lot of things up and I wear a mask, but I believe the CDC did not change its stance and recommend masks until April 3

and yes I understand Trump is the President and CDC ultimately is his responsibility, but I do not believe CDC's initial guidance that healthy people should not wear masks was directly due to Trump

I agree with this. The CDC was expressing concerns that people would touch their face more if they had a mask on and that masks did not really prevent you from getting COVID. What they failed to realize was that masks reduce your ability to spread it if you have it and don’t know yet.

However, Trump still isn’t wearing a mask and he is making fun of Biden for doing so...so there’s that.

I agree with this. The CDC was expressing concerns that people would touch their face more if they had a mask on and that masks did not really prevent you from getting COVID. What they failed to realize was that masks reduce your ability to spread it if you have it and don’t know yet.

However, Trump still isn’t wearing a mask and he is making fun of Biden for doing so...so there’s that.

Wasn’t there also a concern initially that jackasses would buy all the masks and limit their supply for hospitals?

Wasn’t there also a concern initially that jackasses would buy all the masks and limit their supply for hospitals?

yes

in part because the strategic reserve has been mismanaged and masks had rotted because they expired something like 10 years ago

Exactly.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-13-at-9.15.43-AM.png

Part of why it is so subdued across most of the countries in Asia, despite differences in testing procedures and other tools, is the commitment by their citizens to mask-wearing.

Good call. Couldn’t remember the exact date. Change my previous post to early April and it still holds true.

Good call. Couldn’t remember the exact date. Change my previous post to early April and it still holds true.

Yeah. We were less than two weeks into state level stay at home orders then.

Whole lot of Ohio and Pennsylvania rednecks on the Outer Banks last week. Very few face masks in stores and restaurants that I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back