• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unless you’re in the NE, the first wave never ended.

Yeah, I mean looking at the NC chart it's virtually impossible to tell where the breakline even would fall for the "first wave", then the "second wave".

People just got tired of staying at home so they declared it over.

Pretty much.

We went up to Hanging Rock yesterday. Holy shit, the place was crawling with people. Only saw three out of hundreds wearing a mask...they were speaking an unrecognizable (to me) foreign language. Nobody else was wearing a mask...older, younger, black, white, brown.

And not making the slightest effort to stay somewhat apart from others. At all.

Yep, we appear to be done with any mitigation or containment efforts. It’s like we’ve decided it’s all over.

Except it’s not.

We’re at or near peak hospitalizations here for this illness. So we’re basically putting ourselves and our society, and asking healthcare workers to put themselves and their families, at significant risk because we’re too collectively stupid and unwilling to accomplish reasonable mitigation and containment efforts.

Significantly due to horrible federal leadership.

It doesn’t have to be this way.

I'll cop to getting restless and doing some things that are probably inadvisable

trying to keep my interactions outside as much as possible

Yep, we appear to be done with any mitigation or containment efforts. It’s like we’ve decided it’s all over.

Except it’s not.

We’re at or near peak hospitalizations here for this illness. So we’re basically putting ourselves and our society, and asking healthcare workers to put themselves and their families, at significant risk because we’re too collectively stupid and unwilling to accomplish reasonable mitigation and containment efforts.

Significantly due to horrible federal leadership.

It doesn’t have to be this way.

Trump and the fed government are definitely the ones to blame for organizing the Black Trans Lives Matter protest in NY:

EahRIBjWsAYjO2E

As sad as it is to watch our idiot-in-chief flail and fail at this and practically every part of his job, it’s not hard to imagine what Pubs would be doing if this pandemic happened under the leadership of an intelligent and capable Democratic leadership.

They’d be screaming bloody murder at every decent effort to do the right thing and endeavoring to obstruct and making a platform of overturning the same efforts. They’ve made it their modus operandi to assume such dishonest, dishonorable and destructive posturing with great passion as a preferred way of grasping for power.

Thus the rise of Trump and Trumpublicans. And the current tragic debacle anyone with shred of intelligence and decency grieves to witness.

I think its unreasonable to assume that everyone would shelter in place for a year or whatever amount of time it takes to generate a widely available vaccine, especially given the mortality rate. If it was 10%, 25% or higher I could see the risk benefit ratio shift and most people would be at home. With that said there are safer activities than others and those mostly are open air uncrowded settings. Even at a crowded trail hiking your risk is pretty minimal. Its also been really interesting to see what gets put out as dogma, and I don't know if that is the media, misinterpretations on purpose or mistake, agenda driven statements or just lack of general knowledge. While there is a lot unknown about this virus there is a ton known about viruses in general. For example the original study that every media outlet linked back to by the NIH and associates showing the virus "lives" on certain surfaces for days. You have people out there wiping down packages, spraying down their groceries and other over the top things because of this and its amplification. While technically this study is true there's no disclaimer that says what we found does not mean infectious, you need more than just found alive to actually become infected, you need 1,000's to 10,000's of viral particles, its an RNA respiratory virus its not suitable to live on surfaces and infect people over long periods of time, this is known about all viruses but somehow this just got thrown out the window and forgotten.

Trump and the fed government are definitely the ones to blame for organizing the Black Trans Lives Matter protest in NY:

EahRIBjWsAYjO2E

If the federal government had used the last three months of social distancing and lock downs to come up with a plan for testing and contact tracing, ramped up the PPE supply chain, and expand emergency and ICU hospital capacity, maybe people would be able to gather safely in larger groups.

Can you give us an up date on how cases are flat or going down and lock downs didn't do anything to help?

No informed person is advocating everything shut down and everyone stay in place until an effective vaccine is widely utilized.

I guess the key there is informed because conservatives definitely ran with the narrative its shutdown and shelter away for a year or its my freedoms don't do shit, absolute no middle ground of wear masks, stay away from large gatherings, and other mitigating strategies.

I think its unreasonable to assume that everyone would shelter in place for a year or whatever amount of time it takes to generate a widely available vaccine, especially given the mortality rate. If it was 10%, 25% or higher I could see the risk benefit ratio shift and most people would be at home. With that said there are safer activities than others and those mostly are open air uncrowded settings. Even at a crowded trail hiking your risk is pretty minimal. Its also been really interesting to see what gets put out as dogma, and I don't know if that is the media, misinterpretations on purpose or mistake, agenda driven statements or just lack of general knowledge. While there is a lot unknown about this virus there is a ton known about viruses in general. For example the original study that every media outlet linked back to by the NIH and associates showing the virus "lives" on certain surfaces for days. You have people out there wiping down packages, spraying down their groceries and other over the top things because of this and its amplification. While technically this study is true there's no disclaimer that says what we found does not mean infectious, you need more than just found alive to actually become infected, you need 1,000's to 10,000's of viral particles, its an RNA respiratory virus its not suitable to live on surfaces and infect people over long periods of time, this is known about all viruses but somehow this just got thrown out the window and forgotten.

lol, so you think we'd only take this thing seriously if 21,000,000 to 50,000,000 Americans were on track to die.

330,000,000 × .65 (expected infection rate) × (10% to 25% mortality)

lol, so you think we'd only take this thing seriously if 21,000,000 to 50,000,000 Americans were on track to die.

330,000,000 × .65 (expected infection rate) × (10% to 25% mortality)

I mean there's clearly a number somewhere that even the most arduous Republicans who are screaming about the economy would say "oh damn this is going to result in millions of people dying".

Clearly that number is not 120K, maybe it will be 500K? Maybe it really will take us getting to 1M deaths for them to say "shit we were wrong".

I mean there's clearly a number somewhere that even the most arduous Republicans who are screaming about the economy would say "oh damn this is going to result in millions of people dying".

Clearly that number is not 120K, maybe it will be 500K? Maybe it really will take us getting to 1M deaths for them to say "shit we were wrong".

You’re thinking about this all wrong.

The number for Ebola was 1. That’s because Obama was President.

If Biden becomes President every coronavirus death will be on him and the Democrats.

Republicans will not take this seriously as long as taking it seriously makes Trump look bad.

Yeah there is definitely a number in which the world becomes completely shutdown, a number where we don't really care because it doesnt infect the right people or the right age, and a number where the world just becomes a post-apocalyptic hellscape. The saving grace with viral transmission, infectivity, and mortality is they usually counterbalance each other. Say that natural counterbalance broke for some reason (this biggest fear from a man made biological agent) I think earth as we know it is game over.

You’re thinking about this all wrong.

The number for Ebola was 1. That’s because Obama was President.

If Biden becomes President every coronavirus death will be on him and the Democrats.

Republicans will not take this seriously as long as taking it seriously makes Trump look bad.

Pretty much.

Republicans won’t do needed shit when in charge or cooperate when not in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back