• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory I like that, but I think the pushback has been that when CMS went to all e-learning this spring, they had thousands of high school kids just never check in at all. If the thought is send the younger kids to school and let the high school kids e-learn so the parents can go to work and nobody is home with them, a huge portion of the high school kids will say fuck it and not do a damn thing. Parents aren't home, is your average high school kid going to e-learn or go hang with his friends or play on the Xbox all day? Putting that self-responsibility on a 15 year old high school kid is a lot different than a 21 year old college kid.

Taking a break from your super spreader family reunion?

Yeah, I've heard from some teacher friends in WSFCS that word got out to parents that the high school students might go entirely online and the high schools themselves used to space out elementary and middle school students, and that some HS parents went ballistic. There may not be a solution that everyone accepts, which is why administrators have probably put everything off this long. I guess many parents don't want their HS kids at home any more than the younger ones.

somebody's going to go ballistic no matter what we do.

if we try to pack everybody back in their normal building spaces for face to to face learning, people are going to die, and it's probably going to be beloved old teacher ladies. Nobody wants that headline.

In theory I like that, but I think the pushback has been that when CMS went to all e-learning this spring, they had thousands of high school kids just never check in at all. If the thought is send the younger kids to school and let the high school kids e-learn so the parents can go to work and nobody is home with them, a huge portion of the high school kids will say fuck it and not do a damn thing. Parents aren't home, is your average high school kid going to e-learn or go hang with his friends or play on the Xbox all day? Putting that self-responsibility on a 15 year old high school kid is a lot different than a 21 year old college kid.

Rjqa7Aj.gif

Yeah, I've heard from some teacher friends in WSFCS that word got out to parents that the high school students might go entirely online and the high schools themselves used to space out elementary and middle school students, and that some HS parents went ballistic. There may not be a solution that everyone accepts, which is why administrators have probably put everything off this long. I guess many parents don't want their HS kids at home any more than the younger ones.

There is no perfect solution for sure. And for every parent, their response is geared towards their own kids. I've worked from home for almost 17 years now, so the decision between my ex and I to keep them out of school this fall is an easy one since there isn't a concern about them being stuck at home alone while parents are at work.

I certainly understand the concern of parents about leaving teenaged children at home unsupervised by adults for many days.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is limited in-person attendance at school. That is, students actually show up at school one or two days a week and have to see their teachers. That might encourage many students to take the on-line stuff more seriously.

Winston-Salem Forsyth Co schools will likely do the high school virtual plan, so that K-9 can space out. While that gives them more space, it doesn't give them more teachers, so it will involve art teachers teaching math.

WSFCS also gave families the option to go virtual - this option was proposed in May.

I personally think that after a few weeks in school, all the kids will be back home doing virtual learning (public schools and private schools), so we should just focus on making virtual learning as successful as possible, instead of plans that will get scrapped a few weeks into the school year.

Winston-Salem Forsyth Co schools will likely do the high school virtual plan, so that K-9 can space out. While that gives them more space, it doesn't give them more teachers, so it will involve art teachers teaching math.

WSFCS also gave families the option to go virtual - this option was proposed in May.

I personally think that after a few weeks in school, all the kids will be back home doing virtual learning (public schools and private schools), so we should just focus on making virtual learning as successful as possible, instead of plans that will get scrapped a few weeks into the school year.

This is how I feel at this point. Right now I am just trying to find the right online schooling program. Do you go with whatever the school district throws together or something like Connections Academy that has been an online alternative for several years but might not be exactly in line with school curriculum.

What are colleges going to do? I'm sure it's been discussed here many times. I will have 2 kids in college this year and their schedules are mostly online classes. I just can't imagine living in dorms right now. How is that possible? My oldest is a junior and he has an apartment with 3 other dudes, but how is that going to be safe? Those idiots (my son being lord of the idiots) will be going out and are surely to find a way to get the damn virus. Then they all have it and what then?

I just don't see how college is going to work, much less high schools and younger.

I have a friend who works in admin for one of the major districts and he mentioned that there is a need to get kids in front of teachers for a couple weeks to start to build relationships for the inevitable switch to all virtual learning at some point later.

What are colleges going to do? I'm sure it's been discussed here many times. I will have 2 kids in college this year and their schedules are mostly online classes. I just can't imagine living in dorms right now. How is that possible? My oldest is a junior and he has an apartment with 3 other dudes, but how is that going to be safe? Those idiots (my son being lord of the idiots) will be going out and are surely to find a way to get the damn virus. Then they all have it and what then?

I just don't see how college is going to work, much less high schools and younger.

I can't imagine paying full freight tuition, or anything near that, for an online education.

I can't imagine paying full freight tuition, or anything near that, for an online education.

Perhaps specific to lab classes and field classes, but online teaching requires a shit ton of up front work to create the content for a class. Here is an entomology professor explaining how it took him hours to film 3 minutes of content for a lab class he is teaching.

I certainly understand the concern of parents about leaving teenaged children at home unsupervised by adults for many days.

One thing I haven't seen discussed is limited in-person attendance at school. That is, students actually show up at school one or two days a week and have to see their teachers. That might encourage many students to take the on-line stuff more seriously.

I'm going to call a bit of "bullshit" on this. All Spring long we had two teenagers in our house who just more or less did what they were supposed to do because the school was tracking it, not us. Neither one of them is a super star student either. They both do fine, but they are not gunners in any way. The school knows if you are logged on, the school knows if you have turned in your work and the school knows how you are progressing. It is a far less than ideal environment no doubt, but I don't think the fact the learning is distanced means the kids are ultimately less accountable for their results. If you fail to show up or do your work, you'll fail. It isn't like parents are keeping tabs on teenagers while they are at school or are all over them to get their work done normally anyway. Kids who fuck off while at school don't do great either. I could no more help our sophomore with his physics homework than pigs could fly anyway.

As for limited in-person attendance that is the exact model being discussed most places where we have friends with high schoolers. So not sure how that isn't being discussed where you live.

somebody's going to go ballistic no matter what we do.

if we try to pack everybody back in their normal building spaces for face to to face learning, people are going to die, and it's probably going to be beloved old teacher ladies. Nobody wants that headline.

Oh, I agree completely. I'm just saying what I heard happened in WSFCS over the idea of having all HS kids go online to start the year. As I said in another post, if they try to send kids back, even on some kind of hybrid online/in-person class model, it could easily end in disaster in just a month or two. And that's without getting into how many kids will actually show up for their in-person classes or online classes, teachers without proper training having to teach online for maybe the entire first semester - or just getting sick with covid as you said if they're at school, and so on. It's going to be a very long and difficult semester (maybe year) for public and private school teachers, imo.

Perhaps specific to lab classes and field classes, but online teaching requires a shit ton of up front work to create the content for a class. Here is an entomology professor explaining how it took him hours to film 3 minutes of content for a lab class he is teaching.

Yes, that guy is everything I would expect from an entomologist collecting aquatic insects.

I'm going to call a bit of "bullshit" on this. All Spring long we had two teenagers in our house who just more or less did what they were supposed to do because the school was tracking it, not us. Neither one of them is a super star student either. They both do fine, but they are not gunners in any way. The school knows if you are logged on, the school knows if you have turned in your work and the school knows how you are progressing. It is a far less than ideal environment no doubt, but I don't think the fact the learning is distanced means the kids are ultimately less accountable for their results. If you fail to show up or do your work, you'll fail. It isn't like parents are keeping tabs on teenagers while they are at school or are all over them to get their work done normally anyway. Kids who fuck off while at school don't do great either. I could no more help our sophomore with his physics homework than pigs could fly anyway.

As for limited in-person attendance that is the exact model being discussed most places where we have friends with high schoolers. So not sure how that isn't being discussed where you live.

You really don’t believe that? In Winston-Salem, 5000 of the 55,000 students did not log on a single time from when school went virtual in March until the end of the school year. Not a single time.

You really don’t believe that? In Winston-Salem, 5000 of the 55,000 students did not log on a single time from when school went virtual in March until the end of the school year. Not a single time.

So, 9%. 91% at least made an effort, and the kids with motivation/motivated parents probably were relatively productive. I would like to see more stats on the response/effort rates of kids during the spring but I don't know that anyone's published anything other than the "non response" rate.

Without putting words in his mouth, I think what Deacman is saying is that most of those 9% probably weren't going to do great if they were in school either. Of course, it is very likely that some/most of those 9% are in really bad family situations, and being in school is a net positive for them and at least gives them a fighting chance to get out of their situation. Unfortunately our incredibly crappy national leadership has put us in a position where we now have to make really hard choices - like, how many sick and dead people are we willing to accept in order to educate a subset of that 9%? I wish we were like basically all other industrialized countries which are going back to school without having to make such choices, but here we are.

Cooper just announced it's Plan B, which is not surprising at all. He specifically mentioned that some systems are going to emphasize remote learning for older kids and more in person time for younger kids. He and his team also emphasized, repeatedly, that if we want the kids to go back to school and have any chance at staying in school, people have to wear their damn masks.

You're missing the point. 9% never logged in. A whole lot more logged in a couple of times and then said fuck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back