• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have 100,000 cases with a FAKE 100% reporting, and the real % is 9%, you only have 9,000 cases.

Why on earth would the Florida government falsely bias the number or rate of positive cases in the state? How does that even remotely benefit the state or the governor? This is a state/governor that has invested far to many chips on the premise that COVID really isn't a big deal. There is no sinister plot to now start only releasing the positive tests.

Are people claiming that the labs themselves are trying to skew the data to make the state look bad? 15300 new cases in a day is still a global record even if you don't report the number of negative tests along side.

No, but clearly a statewide positivity rate being overstated by 30% is a problem. Instead of Florida being portrayed as a coronavirus cesspool, it's more like everyplace else.

No, but clearly a statewide positivity rate being overstated by 30% is a problem. Instead of Florida being portrayed as a coronavirus cesspool, it's more like everyplace else.

Except it’s not being overstated by 30% and this is a “problem” everyplace else.

And testing isn’t good enough for positivity rate to be reliable.

Really ? Every state is reporting only positive tests instead of all tests and driving up the positive test rate ?

Yes, we know that coronavirus is a problem. Garbage reporting only keeps us from understanding the nature of the problem the best we can with the current testing levels.

Positivity rate is THE reasonable, timely pushback to the infurating "we have more cases because we test more !!!" garbage

and so we need to get it right, not perfect, but close enough, which currently Florida is not doing, apparently

Florida is a shit-show - hospitalizations, deaths, average age of infected are all troubling, and I don't see signs of improvement

but stuff like this is unfortunate, because

1. we need accurate data; and
2. this allows conspiracy theorists to gain a foothold (I don't believe labs failing to report negative tests is part of some grand conspiracy, although I am interested in the reason this has happened)

A couple of thoughts:

1) I think the labs only reporting positive cases has to do with it being more labor intensive to report the results of every test, and if the state (not just Florida, but any state) is not really clear about the data they require, then smaller labs with less man power will do the less labor intensive thing.

2) I don't think positivity rate is the big pushback to the argument that "we have more cases because we test more." I think THE big push back to that argument is the number of hospitalizations and ICU beds taken by COVID patients. That shows that more people are getting sicker, and that we aren't just testing more asymptomatic people.

Don't worry, the Florida spike in cases is just a blip. Desantis told me so.

Really ? Every state is reporting only positive tests instead of all tests and driving up the positive test rate ?

Yes, we know that coronavirus is a problem. Garbage reporting only keeps us from understanding the nature of the problem the best we can with the current testing levels.

No. You’re probably trolling here. But it’s a few labs across the country are only reporting positive tests and it’s not a big deal mathematically.

I wonder what percentage of those 5,000 kids didn’t have reasonable access to the tools needed to meaningfully participate. Or simply didn’t have any home infrastructure to care once the “school as day care” function ended.

I wonder what percentage of those 5,000 kids didn’t have reasonable access to the tools needed to meaningfully participate. Or simply didn’t have any home infrastructure to care once the “school as day care” function ended.

Probably a high percentage.
And our nation has failed those children. Now we will probably continue to fail them for another school year because we are not capable of functioning to the high bar set by such societies as Greece and Italy.

Last night the superintendent of Guilford County Schools said she wants to start the school year with 5 weeks of remote learning while they refit the high schools to accommodate socially distant learning for 7th and 8th graders. Under this plan high schoolers likely will be doing remote learning until further notice, i.e. there's a vaccine or some other change in circumstances. Other options include staggered in person attendance at all schools, i.e. two cohorts of students that alternate 2 days/3 days at school per week. Final decision will be made by school board on July 28 most likely.

Don't worry, the Florida spike in cases is just a blip. Desantis told me so.

Plus I've heard that if you die from bath salts or at the hands (or face) of someone on bath salts, that they will just say you died of C19. So FL C19 numbers are way overstated.

It doesn’t skew the number of positive tests though.

200.gif

Conservatives desperately look for ways to poke holes in testing numbers to claim that GOP governors didn't really screw up badly. Meanwhile the hospitals in TX and AZ are calling in refrigerated morgue trucks. Also, the White House is bypassing the CDC to get control over the reporting of hospitalization data, and it took months of pressure for Florida to even start publicly reporting hospitalization data.

Per Florida's own numbers, which they just started reporting on July 10, there are 8,354 people hospitalized in Florida with a "primary diagnosis" of COVID 19. Note the primary diagnosis qualifier, which enables them to report lower numbers if the person had some kind of pre-existing condition that was exacerbated by Covid. New York has 820 in the hospital. California has 8,145 in hospital - a number which they have been transparent about all along.

Who is trying to manipulate the numbers again?

Last edited:

Feel like that message would carry more weight if Tapper acknowledged the number one factor for spreading disease is population density. Ten of the top 11 incorporated areas in population density in America are in the greater NYC metro area.

Also would’ve helped if he provided context that the brunt of the virus in America started in NYC and we knew far less about it than we do now. I don’t think Cuomo had a perfect response but to compare the current spread in areas where it’s obviously a policy issue first and foremost to NYC three months ago seems odd to me.

Of course the media is so busy falling all over “both sides” of the political spectrum that they hardly know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Last edited:
Yeah... but... DeSantis........[/QUOTE] .... has allowed 4500 deaths (so far) because he failed to learn the lessons demonstrated by New York in March and April and followed Dear Leader Trump down the rabbit hole of stupid.

Bill de Blasio and Andrew Cuomo certainly were not perfect, not even close, in their handling of the coronavirus. De Santis and his fellow Southern governors are like a guy running out on a frozen lake after he just watched his buddy fall through the ice. While an ice scientist stands on the shore and yells at him not to do it. The first guy may have been careless, the second one is reckless and stupid. All the whataboutism in the world cannot change that.

A couple of thoughts:

1) I think the labs only reporting positive cases has to do with it being more labor intensive to report the results of every test, and if the state (not just Florida, but any state) is not really clear about the data they require, then smaller labs with less man power will do the less labor intensive thing.

Stop. This is just flat out intellectually lazy. The results of the test are recorded whether positive or negative. Patients are notified when a test is negative as well. It's not like they are tracking this stuff on a notepad in pen and pencil.

It takes minimal effort to aggregate the results of every test and report on them.

It's mind blowing that we don't have something as basic as test results broken down by zip code for the entire country at this point.

Here's a story from noted liberal rag The Wall Street Journal about Arizona's rush to reopen and the results. https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-arizona-wasnt-ready-for-its-coronavirus-surge-11594805400?mod=hp_lead_pos6

Kristin Urquiza said such mixed messages contributed to the death of her father, Mark Urquiza, on June 30.

When Arizona’s stay-at-home order lifted in May, Mr. Urquiza went to a few restaurants and caught up with friends around Phoenix, his daughter said.

She said she urged him not to, but the 65-year-old, a proud Republican, cited the governor’s decision to open the state and Mr. Trump’s support for reopening the economy.

Within three weeks, he came down with a cough and tested positive for the coronavirus.

“One of the last conversations we had…he said, ‘I should have listened to you,’ ” Ms. Urquiza recalled. “I said ‘Dad, you were following the people in charge. The people in charge’s job is to keep us safe.’”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back