• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop. This is just flat out intellectually lazy. The results of the test are recorded whether positive or negative. Patients are notified when a test is negative as well. It's not like they are tracking this stuff on a notepad in pen and pencil.

It takes minimal effort to aggregate the results of every test and report on them.

It's mind blowing that we don't have something as basic as test results broken down by zip code for the entire country at this point.

I actually saw a report about smaller labs having issues reporting results to hospitals bc they are more or less start ups and didn't spend money on computer software to track or deliver data. Instead they are using fax machines to deliver individual results and this bogs down places that are trying to distribute the info. Crazy but I can see how it happens.

Here's a story from noted liberal rag The Wall Street Journal about Arizona's rush to reopen and the results. https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-arizona-wasnt-ready-for-its-coronavirus-surge-11594805400?mod=hp_lead_pos6

“Local officials and public health experts coping with the coronavirus pandemic in Arizona say the state was lucky to avoid a large outbreak in the spring, but that instead of using the time to prepare for a future wave, political leaders assumed the situation was already well in hand.”

Yep. That LOL at New York logic was and still is prominent in Florida as well.

“Mr. Dexter said that officials underestimated the demand for testing after the reopening, and that many, including himself, assumed the coronavirus would fade away in the heat.”

The Chief Executive of the largest testing lab just assumed a global pandemic would fade away. Miami was always a hot spot yet these people ignored that.

I’m just so tired of purposefully ignorant people having so much power.

——-

When Arizona’s stay-at-home order lifted in May, Mr. Urquiza went to a few restaurants and caught up with friends around Phoenix, his daughter said.

She said she urged him not to, but the 65-year-old, a proud Republican, cited the governor’s decision to open the state and Mr. Trump’s support for reopening the economy.

Within three weeks, he came down with a cough and tested positive for the coronavirus.

“One of the last conversations we had…he said, ‘I should have listened to you,’ ” Ms. Urquiza recalled. “I said ‘Dad, you were following the people in charge. The people in charge’s job is to keep us safe.’”
———

Heartbreaking.

“Dr. Sunenshine said the county couldn’t have predicted the rapid case rise. She said that with the virus so widespread, an automated process that sends calls and text messages encouraging people to fill out a spreadsheet is more efficient.”

What’s happening now is literally what public health experts predicted back in April.

Last edited:
There is no system in place for continuous testing of this magnitude, especially at the state levels. Under normal circumstances there isn't a massive rush to report data. The nations public health system isn't some large unit that easily works together, mostly through lack of funding and years of neglect because they are in the shadows when things are going well (its debatable if things were actually well health wise but a different topic). Some states have just state public health departments, then there are some that breakdown into county, others down to the city level. Within this system those units then depend on clinics and hospitals to report to them.

Normally its fine because things can move relatively slow or the numbers are very low. The incident gets reported up from the ground level, working its way to the CDC where everything is aggregated. When something of concern is detected, say legionnaires disease, the CDC will depart a small team to investigate doing the necessary contact tracing, lab testing, etc.. in conjunction with the state and local public health departments. The numbers are low, the mission direct, and the process straightforward. Other times novel or time sensitive matters arrive and hospitals go directly to the CDC which then loops in the local public health agencies and the same process unfolds.

This time things certainly would be better with a concrete federal response, its whats needed to coordinate between all the entities but we all know that didnt happen. However even if that did happen with the patchwork of stakeholders, the lack of manpower, and the lack of funding through out the years the results would only be slightly better without greatly increasing our capacity. Think of it like the failure of a system of levees each one getting washed over one by one. Hospitals are use to reporting information in a slow non essential pace, and at much lower levels. State and local health departments are use to coordinating outbreak responses maybe a couple times a month not everyday of every month. The CDC is use to responding to multiple outbreak responses at once but not at every state in every county. Its now just a flood that has washed over an underfunded disconnected undermanned system.

The solution is a lot more money a lot more manpower.

Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt tested positive for coronavirus.

Only positive test data included in this tweet, I hope that is ok:

Heat maps are funny. Some people love them but they rarely show more than the obvious. This heat map simply shows that more people of all ages are testing positive for COVID.

Perhaps specific to lab classes and field classes, but online teaching requires a shit ton of up front work to create the content for a class. Here is an entomology professor explaining how it took him hours to film 3 minutes of content for a lab class he is teaching.

oh man, this is my wife now. I told her they should ask the school to have their AV people teach and produce higher quality vidoes instead of leaving it up to untrained people at home with shitty webcams

Stop. This is just flat out intellectually lazy. The results of the test are recorded whether positive or negative. Patients are notified when a test is negative as well. It's not like they are tracking this stuff on a notepad in pen and pencil.

It takes minimal effort to aggregate the results of every test and report on them.

It's mind blowing that we don't have something as basic as test results broken down by zip code for the entire country at this point.

well we do have it by county - this map is pretty cool. If you believe in science and testing and stuff of course. https://globalepidemics.org/key-metrics-for-covid-suppression/

grown damn man with untucked shirt giddy about eating a cupcake anywhere but at a kid's birthday party :rulz:

If your gonna eat a cupcake, tuck in your gawd damn shirt.

I remember when cupcakes got like super popular 10 years ago or something. Seems like the cupcake vibes have worn off, and been replaced with doughnut vibes. I can dig those vibes.

Last edited:
Heat maps are funny. Some people love them but they rarely show more than the obvious. This heat map simply shows that more people of all ages are testing positive for COVID.

If you look at June 5th compared to July 1, it shows a large increase in the age distribution for positive tests. That is a strong indicator that, as suspected, young can catch the disease the spread it to older people who are at much greater risk for complications and death. This speaks against idiot politicians like Desantis saying that the out break in Florida isn't a big deal because it is mostly young people who are going to survive the ordeal just fine (and also Mexicans and other minorities).

The new way to fly

1000x-1.jpg

If your gonna eat a cupcake, tuck in your gawd damn shirt.

I remember when cupcakes got like super popular a like 10 years ago or somethigng. Seems like the cupcake vibes have worn off, and been replaced with doughnut vibes. I can dig those vibes.

cupcakes easily one of the most vastly overrated confections of all time.

the made-to-be-worn-untucked shirt for men one of the cheesiest fashion trends of all time. I'll never understand men dressing up like little boys

Last edited:
cupcakes easily one of the most vastly overrated confections of all time.

the made-to-be-worn-untucked shirt for men one of the cheesiest fashion trends of all time. I'll never understand men dressing up like little boys

To be fair, I don't think the dude in the picture was wearing a made to be untucked shirt.

W&B, how do you feel about the short sleeve button brand. I rock those constantly, but almost always from surf brands.

Georgia Governor issuing an order that explicitly revokes any local COVID measures that are more restrictive than the state wide order.

Standing by the long term conservative principle of local governance based on the idea that what works in Atlanta may not be best in Helen or Alma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back