• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It pretty fucked up, I mean even Alabama’s governor issued a mask mandate not to mention Walmart. Don’t worry though because he encourages everyone to do the right thing.

Georgia Governor issuing an order that explicitly revokes any local COVID measures that are more restrictive than the state wide order.

Standing by the long term conservative principle of local governance based on the idea that what works in Atlanta may not be best in Helen or Alma.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot today. I don’t agree with Kemp on much, so could someone make the best possible argument for this assuming you agree with Kemp politically?

Is it just that less government regulation is better in general and that this eliminates government regulations?

Again, I get the arguments against it, but can someone make an argument for it?

After relocating to FL, Pubs are scrambling to find a way to hold their convention safely, i.e. under the same kind of rules NC would have insisted on. https://www.npr.org/2020/07/16/891785079/gop-scales-back-convention-plans-relenting-on-virus-restrictions

Despite adjusting plans in the midst of the surge in COVID-19 across Florida, [GOP chair Ronna] McDaniel still criticized North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper, a Democrat, saying he decided "to play politics" by insisting on pandemic-related restrictions for the originally planned convention in Charlotte.

Not sure if this is projection, denial, tone-deafness, stupidity, or a mix of all three. Real winners these folks are.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot today. I don’t agree with Kemp on much, so could someone make the best possible argument for this assuming you agree with Kemp politically?

Is it just that less government regulation is better in general and that this eliminates government regulations?

Again, I get the arguments against it, but can someone make an argument for it?

No one can make any kind of logical argument for it because it defies logic.

Even Kay Ivey in Alabama issued a statewide mask order.

What is it with southern states and having ancient governors who are so out of step? McMaster (our gov) is 72, still living in the 60th's and a total buffoon. Ivey from Alabama is 75 but when you hear her talk sounds 105. At least she declared a mask order though. McMaster can't make himself do that as he is too busy sucking Don off.

What is it with southern states and having ancient governors who are so out of step? McMaster (our gov) is 72, still living in the 60th's and a total buffoon. Ivey from Alabama is 75 but when you hear her talk sounds 105. At least she declared a mask order though. McMaster can't make himself do that as he is too busy sucking Don off.

Age is not the sole indicator of buffoonery. Brian Kemp is 57 and he’s a total idiot.

This about sums up where we're at with schools and 'Rona.

The country’s inability to reopen schools is the yardstick by which to measure all of the accumulated failures of the American response to COVID-19. Instead of uniting Americans behind the project of reopening schools, restoring the most important service that has not returned since the start of the pandemic, the Trump administration has politicized the debate. It is asking districts to solve problems—testing, tracing, community spread—that every other level of government has thus far failed to solve, but not providing funding to do so. In fact, Trump is threatening to cut funding to school districts that do not reopen.

“Trump and [Secretary of Education Betsy] DeVos threatening to withhold money—it’s insane. It’s mind-boggling,” Arne Duncan, who served as secretary of education in the Obama administration, told me. (Duncan is a managing partner at Emerson Collective, the majority owner of The Atlantic.) “I truly believe in my heart that he doesn’t care whether kids or teachers or parents live or die. There’s no body count high enough that would make him pay attention to science.”

On Thursday, White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters, “The science should not stand in the way of this,” blithely insisting that science supported reopening. She pointed out that most other Western countries have reopened schools, but ignored the fact that most other Western countries have also brought the pandemic under control better than the U.S. has.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/why-schools-cant-fully-reopen-fall/614353/

Most of their voters wish they were back in the ‘60s and are happy to vote for someone who will govern to make that happen.

Republicans/conservatives lost their grip on the long game when the last showbiz guy took over the party in 1980, and the destruction of those shit decisions reverberates today. Name a current issue, and you can draw a line back to myopic profit-seeking and next-election political gain over long-term national interest every fucking decision its maddening

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back