• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Costa Concordia (Cruise Ship) Sinks

I've been to Porto San Stefano on the mainland across from the island. It's just a gorgeous terrific place: picture postcard Mediterranean. If the fuel starts to spill, one beautiful area will be wrecked for a while.

I've been to Porto San Stefano on the mainland across from the island. It's just a gorgeous terrific place: picture postcard Mediterranean. If the fuel starts to spill, one beautiful area will be wrecked for a while.

I don't think that is going to be an issue if it hasn't already started to spill. Any decent salvage crew will know how to handle that kind of thing.

Pretty sure they started pumping the fuel out fairly early in the process.

Something that I was reading made it seem like they haven't started pumping yet because they don't want to pump while divers are looking for the missing people.

correct. haven't started pumping yet. the salvage portion (including pumping) will begin when they cease looking for the missing.

Something that I was reading made it seem like they haven't started pumping yet because they don't want to pump while divers are looking for the missing people.

Probably not for the water, but the fuel can probably be safely pumped.

Also, if they want to save it I'd imagine they'd have to patch it up first, then start pumping water.

correct. haven't started pumping yet. the salvage portion (including pumping) will begin when they cease looking for the missing.

Got ya...saw photos that noted pumping vessels nearby, so I assumed they were underway. I don't see any way they would start leaking if they haven't already.

I don't think that is going to be an issue if it hasn't already started to spill. Any decent salvage crew will know how to handle that kind of thing.

They've got a pretty good surround of the place, as long as there isnt a storm that churns up the water, it should be pretty easy to contain.

This is correct. They wont pump it out for fear it will create an imbalance and the ship will continue to roll. That's the standard rescue protocol.

Oh yeah, forgot about balance issues.

At this point it has to be just a search and recover though, right?

If those still inside can access water/drinks they can last quite a while. They'll probably go stircrazy in the dark, but as long as they can drink liquids they can survive for quite some time.

Unless there is someone somehow trapped in a dry area. Even if there was air in a compartment, if someone is in the water they would likely have succumbed to hypothermia by now.

in one article that i read, one of the rescue divers was quoted as saying something about "families want their loved one's bodies, just for closure." so to me it sounded like it was more of a search and recover. i don't think they realistically still have hope of finding survivors.

Unless there is someone somehow trapped in a dry area. Even if there was air in a compartment, if someone is in the water they would likely have succumbed to hypothermia by now.

Right, at this point I would have expected anyone still conscious/drinking water/etc. to have made their own move to safety or to have at least drawn attention to themselves in some way.

Right, at this point I would have expected anyone still conscious/drinking water/etc. to have made their own move to safety or to have at least drawn attention to themselves in some way.

I think it is very unlikely that anyone is still alive but not entirely impossible. With the ship at that angle I imagine it would be really difficult to get around. Plus if you're in an area that is dry but you have to go through water to get anywhere else one might feel better staying put. I can't imagine the thought process though. Like... is anyone even coming for me??

Back