• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Childress be HC someday?

Dawkins is having a good year this year and has two Top 100 big guys coming in. Rosco Allen was offered by basically everyone (including UCLA, AZ and UNC).

capel has no shot.

The question is how long does K stay. If he keeps the job five years or more all of this may be out the window.

I don't see K really slowing down so to speak. I could see him coaching into his 70's. Mark this down- Roy will retire before K and he is 3 years younger than K. Jim Boeheim and Jim Calhoun are both older than K and still pulling in top flight talent and doing extremely well. If anything, it seems like K and Duke have had a re-birth as of late. It seemed like they had fallen a little post Redick and co. Maybe it was K taking more system players and not wanting to go after one and done's after he got burned from Deng and Livingston in 2004 and seriously considered the Lakers. In the past few years, it seems that K has actually re-gained some momentum on the recruiting trail, signing Irving, Rivers, and that kid Sulaimon for next year. All #1 at their respective guard positions. Capel on the staff is only going to help this. It remains to be seen, though, if they can start pulling in elite big men again. If so, they will be getting back to the talent level they had during their gilded age of 1997-2003 where they had more talent than anyone in college basketball in my opinion.

K will never get as much talent as Cal does at Kentucky, but K doesn't need it to win championships

I think you could be correct. If he doesn't win much in The Dance over the next 2-3 years it could cost him millions.

Maybe the guy doesn't want to be a high major head coach. He's a former drug rep and I think Butler gave him a substanial raise, so it's not like he is destitute and looking to cash in. Nothing against Stevens, trust me, I'd take him in hearbeat at Wake, but I just don't know how good of a fit he would be at a top tier program. Honestly, he seems too nice to do the job. I can't see him going out and recruiting 5 star type one and done players, which he would be expected to do at a top tier program. I don't know, I just can see him being content to have a lifetime contract at Butler rather than a self life of 3-4 years at a top tier program.

Maybe the guy doesn't want to be a high major head coach. He's a former drug rep and I think Butler gave him a substanial raise, so it's not like he is destitute and looking to cash in. Nothing against Stevens, trust me, I'd take him in hearbeat at Wake, but I just don't know how good of a fit he would be at a top tier program. Honestly, he seems too nice to do the job. I can't see him going out and recruiting 5 star type one and done players, which he would be expected to do at a top tier program. I don't know, I just can see him being content to have a lifetime contract at Butler rather than a self life of 3-4 years at a top tier program.

For a second there, I thought you were talking about Grobe.

I don't know him and I don't have sources, but I don't doubt Grobe would bolt for a Bama or Ohio State in a heartbeat.

I don't know him and I don't have sources, but I don't doubt Grobe would bolt for a Bama or Ohio State in a heartbeat.

True, heck...he almost bolted for Arkansas in heartbeat....

Word is that Grobe had actually accepted the Arkansas job, and only after having told Wellman about it and slept on his decision, did he back-out of the deal.

He was waiting to see what was gpoing to happen at IU. Had Crean not gotten Zeller and next year's class, Stevens would have had the job.

It's back to the drawing board for Stevens.

1) I don't think Jeff Battle wants to be a head coach anywhere. I can't say this with 100% certainty, but he is a very private man who does not like the spotlight. When is the last time you have ever heard Jeff Battle speak at any WF engagement, fill in on the radio show, give an interview? He doesn't. If there is an event he has to attend as part of his job as Assoc. Head Coach, he makes an appearance and sneaks out. He excels at scouting the opponent, game day coaching, recruiting and maintaining a great relationship with the players but I just don't see him as a head coach. Of course, I don't live in his head and could be way off base and if something happened and Battle became the HC of WFU, he would do a good job.

2)RJ- I assume you know Rusty personally and know his personality? Because saying he does not have the personality to be a head coach is nonsense. He speaks well to the media, represents the university with integrity and, along with Coach Battle, has an ability to connect with and maintain good coach/player relationships. He has a low BS tolerance and VERY high expectations for current and potential WFU student athletes. He is a good recruiter who does not sugar coat how difficult, demanding and overwhelming WFU and ACC basketball can be- which, in light of recent events and resulting transfers, is something every recruit needs to be advised of. I don't know what kind of personality is your idea of head-coach worthy, but I hope our next coach is more like Coach B and Rusty and less like a mascot (a la Roy Williams).

That being said....I don't think Coach Larue is ready to be the head coach of an ACC basketball team right now. Maybe someday, but not in the near future. I would imagine he has learned a lot over the course of the past 3 seasons...winning with Gaudio (which Larue was used to) and the extreme losing of last season with Bz.

All of the coaches are very excited about the 2012 recruiting class. I hope they all stay.

Don't kid yourself... Rusty is very used to losing. Check out his head coaching resume. If you want a tangible reason for why he's not ready, then there's one. Chill is the same way. Very few true newcomers find success at a high level. Why do we want so badly to set up two player legends for failure???

Don't kid yourself... Rusty is very used to losing. Check out his head coaching resume. If you want a tangible reason for why he's not ready, then there's one. Chill is the same way. Very few true newcomers find success at a high level. Why do we want so badly to set up two player legends for failure???

Which is why I said I do not think he is ready to be the HC at WFU right now.

And no, he is not "used" to losing. Who ever gets used to losing?

it would be hilarious is kvegas is rusty's dad

Which is why I said I do not think he is ready to be the HC at WFU right now.

And no, he is not "used" to losing. Who ever gets used to losing?

Reread your post. You imply that there are those who are and those who aren't.

I've met Rusty's dad before at an AU event. Introduced himself to me, wasnt a fan. KVegas is far too nice... Bad experiences, FTW!

Reread your post. You imply that there are those who are and those who aren't.

I've met Rusty's dad before at an AU event. Introduced himself to me, wasnt a fan. KVegas is far too nice... Bad experiences, FTW!

Maybe I am misreading your post, but what does Rusty's dad have to do with Rusty's ability to be a basketball coach?

Speaking of connecting with players, how awkward was it when Travis, after fouling out, was so dejected he just stared at the floor with his hands on his knees, and Bz lightly rested his hand on his back while looking elsewhere.

Compare that with the Jim Harbaugh-Vernon Davis embrace after "the grab" or whatever. Bz could learn something.

Speaking of connecting with players, how awkward was it when Travis, after fouling out, was so dejected he just stared at the floor with his hands on his knees, and Bz lightly rested his hand on his back while looking elsewhere.

Compare that with the Jim Harbaugh-Vernon Davis embrace after "the grab" or whatever. Bz could learn something.

You do realize that Buzz was trying to make sure that McKie didn't pick up a T don't you? The ref started walking that way after McKie acted outraged over the call and then bent over to control himself. At that point Buzz put one hand on Travis' back and raised the other one to the ref to show that he was under control and that Buzz was on top of the situation.

Piss on him for substitution patterns or for play calling. But that one shouldn't be criticized.

I didn't realize that's who he was talking to at that moment. Thanks for the clarification.

ETA: it does sound like Bz said some encouraging words to Travis after the game. However, I still think one of his biggest challenges is connecting with/firing up/inspiring the players, because it's not his natural personality.

Last edited:
Back