• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Glenn Beck revive Mount Airy's textile industry?

If he provides 900 more jobs stroking his ego, I'm sure the good people of Mt. Airy will be grateful.

I just love that his website is where a gay internet daily should be. I cannot believe there wasn't a gay news site at "theblaze.com"

I'm surprised anybody gives a damn about Glen Beck. He's a media whore.

Thats great, but 1000 jobs for Mt Airy? More like 50-100 would be more in line for what he has in mind.

I despise Beck, but 50-100 new jobs in a town of <9,000 is not insignificant. 100 jobs could easily directly affect the lives of 500 or so people. If he wants to pay people to work, I don't care if he is manufacturing life size wax Glenn Beck dolls to place on every street corner in Mt. Airy.

I despise Beck, but 50-100 new jobs in a town of <9,000 is not insignificant. 100 jobs could easily directly affect the lives of 500 or so people. If he wants to pay people to work, I don't care if he is manufacturing life size wax Glenn Beck dolls to place on every street corner in Mt. Airy.

+1

perfectly said

There is a reason textiles left the north, then the south, soon China, and moving towards Vietnam. I mean there is no way clothing can be manufactured in NC and be price competitive no matter what Beck thinks/says.

Vietnam has a very small population when you compare it to China, and can't handle nearly the same manufacturing demands that China is able to. The rest of Southeast Asia is very politically unstable (Cambodia, Laos, ect...) so corporations are weary to relocate to these locations. My feeling is that with the increasing cost to manufacture products in China, manufacturing jobs will move back to America without the help of Glen Beck.

Vietnam has a very small population when you compare it to China, and can't handle nearly the same manufacturing demands that China is able to. The rest of Southeast Asia is very politically unstable (Cambodia, Laos, ect...) so corporations are weary to relocate to these locations. My feeling is that with the increasing cost to manufacture products in China, manufacturing jobs will move back to America without the help of Glen Beck.

how much would you like to bet

Its not going to take that long before manufacturing in America is cheaper than doing it in China. If it doesn't move back here, where will it go? There are not many countries that offer what China does, a huge population, cheap cost, and political stability.

India, Malaysia and Viet Nam do to name a few.

American made products will cost more. If they are higher quality or have proper marketing they have a chance.

If you are trying to compete on price they won't.

Last edited:
Its not going to take that long before manufacturing in America is cheaper than doing it in China. If it doesn't move back here, where will it go? There are not many countries that offer what China does, a huge population, cheap cost, and political stability.

ok, when will it be cheaper in america, and when will the jobs move back? you said it, i'm just wondering when you think this will occur.

do you know? have a good guess? have no idea and are talking out your ass?

India, Malaysia and Viet Nam do to nake a few.

American made products will cost more. If they are higher quality or have proper marketing they have a chance.

If you are trying to compete on price they won't.

Ramped up import tariffs would help.

ok, when will it be cheaper in america, and when will the jobs move back? you said it, i'm just wondering when you think this will occur.

do you know? have a good guess? have no idea and are talking out your ass?

I would say with the current economic trends that within this decade it will become cheaper.

The populations of Malaysia, and Vietnam do not even total 100 million people. These are not large enough populations to meet our manufacturing needs.

http://www.economist.com/node/18682182

Back