• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Dan's Interview With Manning

Comment all you want. Maybe even give reasons why you think the difference between 17-15 and 13-19 is so huge in your opinion. Or why Manning's inability to get the most out of a 3 star team spells doom for his ability to get the most out of a 4.5 star team (a different skill set IMO).

Talking about the results isn't meaningless. The results themselves are virtually meaningless as a predictor of Manning's future success, IMO.

We didn't have to win all our games that were close, but it was apparent Danny mismanaged a couple late game situations. I would rather that not of happened.

Danny has not done anything to indicate that he can put together a 4.5 star basketball team. If he can do that I will be impressed.

We lost those games because CMM is our best guard. That's not a knock on Manning or CMM. It's just the way things are.

Yeah. I'm not going to claim to be able to predict how this adventure is going to turn out, but I'm optimistic based on:
1. His background as a player (which I think shows a good work ethic, should be compelling to recruits/players, and includes being coached by Larry Brown);
2. His background as a non-head coach (wherein he acquired a nice reputation as a big man coach, was on the staff for very successful teams, and worked under Bill Self);
3. His past recruiting for Wake (putting together three UR-3 star recruits in not much time for 2014 who ended up being our three best shooters, signing a 2015 class with 2x 4 stars and 1x 3-4 star - and perhaps more to come - despite the sad state of the program);
4. His future recruiting for Wake (this is one of the places where we'll need to see results, but the fact that Wake is making it into the top list of so many big names is definitely a good sign - the 2016 class will be a big test); and
5. His background as a head coach (this is the big question mark, of course, but what little evidence there is seems positive to me; taking Tulsa to it's first C-USA title and first NCAA in over a decade in his second year there to me says more than an admittedly mediocre season with the remnants of a [NR] squad plus some last-minute and unheralded, though ultimately valuable, recruits).

And weighted against this, I guess, (1) some difficulties in crunch time; (2) 3-4 goose eggs in the effort department (2 right at the end of the season); (3) not reaching or approaching the ceiling for this team; (4) Not signing a program altering class in his first go round.

The first two are likely easily corrected with an influx in talent (Although (2) is somewhat concerning I'm willing to write it off as getting our buts whipped by two amazing teams).

The third is not that relevant and overstated, IMO. I'd put this past team's ceiling at around 18-14 (~90-100 kenpom) and argue that we were closer than our record might indicate.

The fourth seems nitpicky. Manning's not done in 2015 for starters, and from day 1 almost everyone has focused on 2016 as the year for a program altering class.

We didn't have to win all our games that were close, but it was apparent Danny mismanaged a couple late game situations. I would rather that not of happened.

Danny has not done anything to indicate that he can put together a 4.5 star basketball team. If he can do that I will be impressed.

I mean he recruited three 3 star guys at the last minute who all played above their rating and has already signed 2 four star guys in 2015.

That's not nothing.

I'll let someone who has actually played college basketball speak for me here:

You know how commentators always say, “They should have a play here that they’ve practiced a million times!” at the end of close games? The truth is one of two things:
(1) The team didn’t actually work on last-second shots because the coach decided to instead focus practice time on what would happen in the other 39 minutes and 50 seconds of the game, or (2) The team practiced the play, but the bright lights of the NCAA tournament stage overwhelmed them and made them momentarily lose their minds.

Why are college coaches so bad at endgame situations?

To answer your first question: I don’t think it’s the coaches. If you pay close attention, the actions you see at the end of games would often be semi-impressive if you mapped them out with X’s and O’s. I think the problem is that the players mess up the timing because, in many cases, they’ve never run the play before. So they get anxious, their internal clocks move faster than the game clock, and the play breaks down

Those quotes are from Mark Titus's Sweet 16 Mailbag. The common denominator in all of those late game situations Danny apparently mismanaged is that we had less talent than the other team (sometimes by a wide margin). Danny is obviously focused on fixing that.

I mean he recruited three 3 star guys at the last minute who all played above their rating and has already signed 2 four star guys in 2015.

That's not nothing.

So much this. Wilbekin, Crab, and Dinos are four year ACC rotation guys. That's great work.

That's not nothing.

no he didn't. there is no way he brings in ANYONE for 2014 or 2015. Other coaches just have TOO MUCH of a head start. Manning should NOT be judged until 2016 since he does not have the RELATIONSHIPS with coaches that other schools have...

Unless somebody travelled here from a future in which Manning turns out to be like Coach K and they're trying to subtly kept their true nature a secret, there's no reason to use the Coach K comparison.

The comparison was only Manning doing it his way without regard to short term record as opposed to trying to play zone or do some things that might improve the record slightly now. That's what K did and that's what Manning is doing. Not all coaches do that - I would say most don't - they try to do everything they can to win every game right in front of them. Also, as I said, talent will be the ultimate decider. I never said he'd be successful like K or successful period. Hope he is.

I think it's pretty well documented that DM's least favorite part of the job is dealing with the press. He didn't as a player but knows he has to as a HC.

That interview can be interpreted multiple ways. When I read it, I felt like Dan was nagging DM. Most of the questions he asked have been asked and answered previously. Dan did an entire piece on DM's insistence on playing man to man, yet here is Dan asking the question about zone again.

Wasn't Dan's very first question about the "emphasis on D" and basically insinuated that since y'all sucked, what did you do wrong coach?

That would put pretty much anyone on the defensive from jump street. How about starting off with a fluff question like, "So did the rigors of the ACC surprise you or was it pretty much what you expected? How will you get this team to the next level?", if he wanted a follow up that would allow Danny to talk about what needs to be addressed the most going forward. Thought the whole tenor of Disco Dan's approach was bullshit.

That's not nothing.

Not to pick nits, but Collins is a 4* going by the composite rankings on 247's site. Couple that with the fact that he was the FABC 4-A player of the year in Florida, as well as a finalist for Mr. Basketball in Florida, I'd say he's pretty much got 4* potential if he isn't already. I think folks are seriously under-rating this kid's potential. But then again, people smarter than me when it comes to recruiting thought Kevin Swinton was a Top 50 player.

Not to pick nits, but Collins is a 4* going by the composite rankings on 247's site. Couple that with the fact that he was the FABC 4-A player of the year in Florida, as well as a finalist for Mr. Basketball in Florida, I'd say he's pretty much got 4* potential if he isn't already. I think folks are seriously under-rating this kid's potential. But then again, people smarter than me when it comes to recruiting thought Kevin Swinton was a Top 50 player.

I think Collins is ranked as a 4* star on 247sports, but is a 3* in the composite rankings on 247sports

Yeah I agree, and it wouldn't shock me to see him listed as a closer to a consensus 4 star when the final rankings come out.

Prosser's second class was Big E, Gray, Strickland (#36, #61, #82 RSCI) Eliis and Richard Joyce (both 3 stars). I think Manning's 2015 class will ultimately look pretty comparable, though adjusted slightly downward (247's ratings would put Moore, Crawford, Collins about 25 spots lower than E, Gray, Strick).

Given the difference in the state of the program Manning inherited vs. Prosser, the fact that Manning is recruiting anywhere close to that level is impressive.

I think Collins is ranked as a 4* star on 247sports, but is a 3* in the composite rankings on 247sports

Ooops, sorry, looked at that wrong (too much beer on the golf course yeseterday!): http://247sports.com/Player/John-Collins-49725

But the bigger point stands, he's going to be very good for us (assuming the best from an academic and conduct standpoint :) ) and likely a 4-year stalwart. I think he'll be better than Devin by the end of his sophomore year. We shall see.

Collins is also listed as a 4-star on ESPN

That is a nice development. Hopefully the class will continue to gain in the rankings like you say when the final rankings are done. You would think they will factor in some of these post-season accolades as well as the fact that all 3 of our players played deep into their team's respective playoff runs. If we could cap the class off with a solid big man via post-grad transfer and the likes of an Ellison or Kirk, we will have good reason to be optimistic for 2016, on the court as well as recruiting in that class.

Dan interviewed DM just like he would have interviewed the last guy. That is so tiresome. We have turned the page to something a lot better. Dan should think about retirement.

Yeah I agree, and it wouldn't shock me to see him listed as a closer to a consensus 4 star when the final rankings come out.

Prosser's second class was Big E, Gray, Strickland (#36, #61, #82 RSCI) Eliis and Richard Joyce (both 3 stars). I think Manning's 2015 class will ultimately look pretty comparable, though adjusted slightly downward (247's ratings would put Moore, Crawford, Collins about 25 spots lower than E, Gray, Strick).

Given the difference in the state of the program Manning inherited vs. Prosser, the fact that Manning is recruiting anywhere close to that level is impressive.

Yeah, a better comparison would be with Odom's second recruiting class after the Staak disaster years.

Danny was on the David Glenn show today. He seems upbeat and thoughtful. Probably more of an introvert than most HCs.

Yeah, a better comparison would be with Odom's second recruiting class after the Staak disaster years.

Would be difficult to find ratings on that one, but didn't that class include Randolph and Rodney?

And that still wouldn't be a very good comparison. The difference between where Odom found the program and where Manning found it is probably as great as between where Skip found the program and where Odom found it.

Danny was on the David Glenn show today. He seems upbeat and thoughtful. Probably more of an introvert than most HCs.

And also: fuck Dan Collins.

Coward raked his lawn for four years while both of our programs burned to the ground and now has taken it upon himself to criticize our basketball program's (actual) rebuild?

I don't blame DM at all for treating Donut Dan like the small town hack that he is...

Back