• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Music Discussion Thread

WFcatamount22

Reaction score
It is time for a Country music discussion thread, because 'Merica. Hadn't listened to much American Aquarium lately, but they opened for the Turnpike Troubadours the other night and it got me back into it. Burn.Flickr.Die might be one of the most legit country albums made.

Also been digging on some Ryan Bingham lately.

Plus that new Randy Rogers & Wade Bowen album has some definite VIBES going on.

Are we accepting the new-style country music into this thread, or will that be ridiculed? Talking FGL, Cole Swindell, Justin Moore, etc.

been on a John Prine kick for days. Now that's some good ole' wholesome country right there.

Except when Prine was in his prime, he wasn't considered country. He was considered folk/folk-rock.

Roger.

The duet with Eric Church and Rhiannon Giddens in "Kill A Word" is very good. Giddens has a ton of really good folksy stuff out there, and a helluva voice.

The new Eric Church album is money in general I think.`First time I heard "Record Year" I gave it a meh at best. I love that song now.

Yeah I enjoy a lot of the songs on The Outsiders, but Mr. Misunderstood is really solid too.

Last edited:
Kacey Musgraves is also my favorite female country artist. So hot, and she keeps it real. Definitely blurs the political line of what is traditionally associated with country music to RJ's point. This is a cool song that is not on any of her Nashville produced albums.

I don't think you can box country music into one political ideology. Feel the vibes, it is a good song.

It's a folk song. John Prine was mostly considered a folk singer and songwriter.

You can absolutely say country music is mostly Republicans and overwhelmingly conservative. Hell, look what happened to the Dixie Chicks. They were the biggest stars in country music until their song against the Iraq War and were effectively blackballed for years from country radio stations.

What I find hilarious is a lot of the style of country music for the past 25+ years can be traced to the style of Asylum Records, which was founded by a gay, ultra-liberal, NY Jew.

Last edited:
It's a folk song. John Prine was mostly considered a folk singer and songwriter.

You can absolutely say country music is mostly Republicans and overwhelmingly conservative. Hell, look what happened to the Dixie Chicks. They were the biggest stars in country music until their song against the Iraq War and were effectively blackballed for years from country radio stations.

What I find hilarious is a lot of the style of country music for the past 25+ years can be traced to the style of Asylum Records, which was found by a gay, ultra-liberal, NY Jew.

Google defines Prine as Country/Folk so I am cool with however you want to classify it RJ. Prine is more than welcome to be discussed on the this thread.

Certainly blurring the lines between country and folk, but I dig Caitlin Rose and First Aid Kit

Eric Church launched his latest tour last week, which supposedly will be like 4 hours each night including an acoustic set. Only one NC date which is surprising and it is in shithole Greensboro which kind of sucks, but I think there is a stop in Greenville SC as well.

My friend Ernie is in his mid-80s. He's played with everyone from Duke Ellington to Phil Collins from NWA to Dolly Parton and so much more. To him there are only two kinds of music, good- the stuff you like and bad- the stuff you don't. He says any other breakdowns are a waste of time.

Shovels and Rope are also pretty good IMO, kind of folk/country to though. Carry Ann Hearst is legit AF.

Eric Church launched his latest tour last week, which supposedly will be like 4 hours each night including an acoustic set. Only one NC date which is surprising and it is in shithole Greensboro which kind of sucks, but I think there is a stop in Greenville SC as well.

He is also not coming anywhere near Austin unfortunately.

Back