• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Music Discussion Thread

I remember the first time I heard Maren Morris's "My Church Song" I turn to my buddy in the car and was like "damn now that is a good country song". Judging by what happened next I think most other people also agree.

I am almost positive that Nashville will ruin that sound though and turn her into another female poppy country star that is boring and sounds like everyone else. Kind of like happened with Cam.

I remember the first time I heard Maren Morris's "My Church Song" I turn to my buddy in the car and was like "damn now that is a good country song". Judging by what happened next I think most other people also agree.

I am almost positive that Nashville will ruin that sound though and turn her into another female poppy country star that is boring and sounds like everyone else though. Kind of like happened with Cam.

Her newer single "80's Mercedes" sounds exactly like "My Church" too.

Her newer single "80's Mercedes" sounds exactly like "My Church" too.

Yeah I saw the tail end of her set at SXSW last year, and literally bumped into her walking down the street afterwards. Nobody was around her, and it was just her and her band mates hanging out in Austin. What a difference a year makes.

It's a folk song. John Prine was mostly considered a folk singer and songwriter.

You can absolutely say country music is mostly Republicans and overwhelmingly conservative. Hell, look what happened to the Dixie Chicks. They were the biggest stars in country music until their song against the Iraq War and were effectively blackballed for years from country radio stations.

What I find hilarious is a lot of the style of country music for the past 25+ years can be traced to the style of Asylum Records, which was founded by a gay, ultra-liberal, NY Jew.

The Dixie Chicks didn't have a song against the Iraq War. They said that they were ashamed that George W. was from Texas. It was right at the height of the Iraq War. They were yanked off country radio and still don't get played on most stations. Of course their next album was a Fuck You to the country music industry. It won the Grammy for Album of the Year.

Whiskey Myers, Firewater Album is great. Definitely worth a listen, I feel like they kind of lost the vibe after that last album. "Mud" was a big disappointment.

This is definitely Rube country but Cadillac Three's "The South" is MONEY. This song on a boat full of half naked girls, music blaring to 100 decibels, and crushing an ice cold Coors Light? Yessir life doesn't get any better than that.

Saw TCT at CCMF last year and they were really good. I enjoy a lot of their stuff. Definitely more country rock.

It's a folk song. John Prine was mostly considered a folk singer and songwriter.

You can absolutely say country music is mostly Republicans and overwhelmingly conservative. Hell, look what happened to the Dixie Chicks. They were the biggest stars in country music until their song against the Iraq War and were effectively blackballed for years from country radio stations.

What I find hilarious is a lot of the style of country music for the past 25+ years can be traced to the style of Asylum Records, which was founded by a gay, ultra-liberal, NY Jew.

Google defines Prine as Country/Folk so I am cool with however you want to classify it RJ. Prine is more than welcome to be discussed on the this thread.

lol

Blackberry Smoke has a few good tunes too.

Not to get all mainstream on you but Chris Stapleton's cover of Tennessee Whiskey is $.

Agree that Kacey Musgraves is pretty awesome all around. Feel like she'd be cool to chill with. Chill = smoke grass

Saw Prine and Isbell together at a theater show in Memphis last year. Phenomenal. Isbell just went into the studio this week to start on a new album.

If anyone missed Sturgill's SNL performance this week go find it. He was amazing, one of the best SNL performances ever.

As for the political lines, you can pretty much put mainstream radio country into the Republican bucket and the outlaw/alt-country/roots/Americana into a more liberal bucket. That goes back to Willie, Kristofferson, Waylon etc etc all the way to Isbell, Simpson & many others today.

Also just so we make sure everyone is on board Texas country > Nashville country, and it is not even close.

Back