• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

…..

Last edited:
I mean, businesses and governments had a lot of time to do the right thing and didn't. You can't hold adults' hands forever. Especially when they're acting like children. At some point, the state has to act in the best interests of its constituents. Letting fringe extremists (and their media enablers) hold public policy hostage ain't it.

This. The vaccine has been out for almost 9 months and widely available for 5. There’s only two possible strategies. Mandates or let far more people die. We can’t let right-wing petty political bullshit endanger more lives. They have no end game. Are they going to keep this up until the midterms? We can’t do this for another year.

A friend of mine sent me these as an example of how deep the right wing has gotten into this crap.

The Federalist in 2015

daa65d6635857d658447ff80e00125f2.jpg

The Federalist today
4af45d09269466662c0e55d50e64709c.jpg

Incentivize? That's one way to describe it. Why the stick instead of the carrot?

This is going to be awful for small businesses. Why not incentivize them with tax breaks for hitting target % (80, 90, etc...) of vaccinated employees?

Not to mention, the supply chain for tests cannot keep up with throwing tens of millions of people into weekly testing. Not sure how enforcement of this doesn't fall apart.

This is just a horrible take. Absolutely stick time. Who knew LK was anti-vax.

Except I'm not lol.

Which part is horrible and why? That I offer a different thought on how to get businesses to drive numbers up?

Or my speculation that an increasingly strained supply chain for Covid tests might buckle under the need for all the new weekly tests when people opt into that instead of getting the shot?

Maybe disagree without the prickish response?

Glad to see it…the mandates.

Many employers will be happy with this…it’s truly better for business and it doesn’t have to be “their” mandate.

Of course the lunatics will scream about fascism bullshit and some states run by idiot Republicans will object. So what. It’s the right thing to do.

Glad to see it…the mandates.

Many employers will be happy with this…it’s truly better for business and it doesn’t have to be “their” mandate.

Of course the lunatics will scream about fascism bullshit and some states run by idiot Republicans will object. So what. It’s the right thing to do.

That's a factor I hadn't considered. Let's the government be the boogeyman.

That's a factor I hadn't considered. Let's the government be the boogeyman.

I think it was mentioned in something I read. The government is basically going to take the heat so companies can do what they want to do, but are too afraid of the backlash from. An angle I hadn't considered either. Either way, it's time for the rubes to stop being snowflakes and get their shots.

Can you imagine the disruptions to business if it were left up to individual businesses to try and implement a mandate? A significant percentage of employees would be jumping around trying to avoid a mandate. A uniform mandate is better for everyone, really.

Even for those not disposed to recognize it.

I think it was mentioned in something I read. The government is basically going to take the heat so companies can do what they want to do, but are too afraid of the backlash from. An angle I hadn't considered either. Either way, it's time for the rubes to stop being snowflakes and get their shots.

I agree it's time, I just don't necessarily agree with the mechanism. At the same time, my only alternative is throwing money at the solution because the incentive of their own health clearly isn't enough.

Can you imagine the disruptions to business if it were left up to individual businesses to try and implement a mandate? A significant percentage of employees would be jumping around trying to avoid a mandate. A uniform mandate is better for everyone, really.

Even for those not disposed to recognize it.

I'm not entirely following this. The individual business is still charged with being in compliance with OSHA standards, or facing a hefty fine. Or are you talking about the actual definition of the standard being universal to make compliance easier?

I agree it's time, I just don't necessarily agree with the mechanism. At the same time, my only alternative is throwing money at the solution because the incentive of their own health clearly isn't enough.

When you consider the angle of providing cover for businesses- then the stick approach seems like the only way. Just providing tax relief doesn't allow companies to both side it with "we didn't really want to mandate this but the Feds made us" wink wink nod nod

I'm not entirely following this. The individual business is still charged with being in compliance with OSHA standards, or facing a hefty fine. Or are you talking about the actual definition of the standard being universal to make compliance easier?

Yes, I’m saying it’s much less disruptive to make it a federal mandate all similar businesses have to follow rather than leaving it up to individual businesses to possibly try and create their own vaccination mandate.

Apparently there's a subreddit r/hermancainaward documenting the prior social media activity and ending with the inevitable gofundme

Apparently there's a subreddit r/hermancainaward documenting the prior social media activity and ending with the inevitable gofundme

it's funny for the first 3 posts but gets depressing by the minute as you read through story after story. really broke down my "fuck off, deniers" feeling

i mean, people are really fucking dumb. i know that viscerally, but you read those posts and it's just fucking ridiculous

Yes, I’m saying it’s much less disruptive to make it a federal mandate all similar businesses have to follow rather than leaving it up to individual businesses to possibly try and create their own vaccination mandate.

Yeah. Great move by Biden. It's literally "Get busy living or get busy dying."

We can't allow right-wing political BS to hold our lives hostage. People who are doing things the right way desperately want Democrats to have our back. Stand up for us the way Republicans stand up for fascists and anti-vaxxers.

Back