• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

DeSantis appoints a Wake grad to be the new Florida Surgeon General.

'Florida will completely reject fear,' new surgeon general Dr. Joseph Ladapo says

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/flo...ear-new-surgeon-general-dr-joseph-ladapo-says

Not surprising. I knew him at Wake and I’m friends with him on Facebook. He’s written several posts and articles over the last 18 months that increasingly appeal to conservatives.

'Florida will completely reject fear,' new surgeon general Dr. Joseph Ladapo says

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/flo...ear-new-surgeon-general-dr-joseph-ladapo-says

Not surprising. I knew him at Wake and I’m friends with him on Facebook. He’s written several posts and articles over the last 18 months that increasingly appeal to conservatives.

He's proof positive that being well-educated doesn't mean shit.
He's proven to be quite a joke during the pandemic. He'll be a great fit in Florida with their "response"

his younger brother got in a lil trouble during his post-Wake male stripper days

He's proof positive that being well-educated doesn't mean shit.
He's proven to be quite a joke during the pandemic. He'll be a great fit in Florida with their "response"

Have you read his pandemic articles? It’s like he was auditioning for this job. You don’t judge pandemic leadership by “freedom.” You judge it by the actual health of the populace. Good luck driving the giant hearse that is Florida public health.

And he was much closer to Disneyland at UCLA than he’ll be in Tallahassee to Disney World. His kids will be disappointed.

This has me questioning if the 90s really were the greatest Deacs…

I'm not anti-mask insofar as it it brings people's perception of what is actually low risk in line with said actual low risk, so it helps society continue with the placebo effect, so mask away. But I am anti-bullshit. That study shows that cloth masks are better then nothing, but not by much and probably negligible when compared to other hygienic activities. If we're going to roll out surgical mask or N95 requirements for everyone then use that study all day long, but it definitely does not solve the overall mask debate when taken in light of the kinds of masks actually being worn by the majority of the population. And it certainly should not be used in support of school mask policies where virtually no surgical masks are worn.

this is rich

something something about what happens at masked schools during lunch...

right. so then a few hundred kids and some adults are in close quarters with no masks for 15-20 minutes

obviously the better answer is to require kids to wear masks all day and just not eat.

I did. Not much after effect except a sore arm……

in related news, awaken gets a vaccine just about nightly

This is an interesting question because it shows a complete lack of understanding of medicine. It's a helpful reminder that people are trying to understand the pandemic but some have no knowledge base to draw upon while trying to comprehend what is happening.

I'm not sure how much of your question is trolling and how much is sincere, but I'm going to assume it is at least somewhat sincere. First, no test (blood, xray, MRI, etc.) is perfect. If you want to understand this further, read about sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value, and negative predictive value. As a simple example, imagine a family of 5 people that get exposed to COVID and all develop upper respiratory symptoms. 4 of the 5 test positive with a rapid antigen test and the 5th tests negative. The 5th family member has COVID, they just had a false negative test because tests aren't perfect. In this case, the symptoms in the 5th family member are much more important than the rapid antigen test. By the way, this whole family would initially test negative on the IgG antibody test described in the mask study because it takes days to weeks for the IgG antibody to develop.

Second, there are many diseases for which there is not a "blood test," some of which are very severe diseases. ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) is diagnosed by history and physical examination. The history (you refer to this as "feels") is absolutely critical in making this diagnosis, and no blood test is going to make the diagnosis. Take another example - a 15 year old falls on an outstretched hand and then has pain at the wrist. Blood tests are useless in making this diagnosis. Other tests, like xrays, can even miss the fracture. Let's assume this child had sudden onset pain following the fall and points exactly to the distal radius as the site of pain. You diagnose a fracture and proceed to appropriate treatment. Let's assume in this same scenario, the pain doesn't start until 1 week later and it is vague and he asks to be written out of school. Again, this history is critical, so you investigate the possibility that it may not be a fracture.

On the other hand, there are some diseases in which the blood test is absolutely critical. If a boy presents with weakness and you suspect muscular dystrophy, the key to diagnosis is going to be a genetic blood test.

TL;DR Sometimes the history is critical, sometimes diagnostic testing is critical, and both are often needed in combination.

this is exactly the reasoning that gets [Redacted] hired. fucking wellman man

Have you read his pandemic articles? It’s like he was auditioning for this job. You don’t judge pandemic leadership by “freedom.” You judge it by the actual health of the populace. Good luck driving the giant hearse that is Florida public health.

And he was much closer to Disneyland at UCLA than he’ll be in Tallahassee to Disney World. His kids will be disappointed.

I've read some of his stuff. It was clear that he and I are on a different page. And it's very clear he's a perfect fit for the dumb shit happening in Florida right now in the name of public health.

How dumb and unjustifiably arrogant is PhDeac for thinking he knows more about health than a licensed medical doctor?

The one thing I can say about Joe from my time knowing him at Wake is that he is very ambitious. 100% agree he saw advancement value in staking out a contrarian position here

The one thing I can say about Joe from my time knowing him at Wake is that he is very ambitious. 100% agree he saw advancement value in staking out a contrarian position here

Yeah, pretty clear he just wants to be on TV and he is good at it. He was with those other quacks promoting hydroxychloroquine on the Supreme Court steps to suck up to Trump -- just wants that spotlight.

The idea that we shouldn't be fearful of a virus that has killed almost 700k Americans and govern ourselves accordingly is beyond dumb. These Trumpers will fear that wrath of an unseen and unknown God, but God forbid anyone fear this virus even as it kills friends and family members right in front of them.

Things they fear include losing power, influence, and relevance, black kids in hoodies, and being told what to do.

I don't think they fear the wrath of God.

the problem is they like the asshole old testament god that smites "his" enemies. that god would be owning the libs with all his might. they forgot they are supposed to be all in on the loving, humble, serving middle eastern jesus that cares for people honestly.

That Old Testament God also lets his people get routinely captured and destroyed when they get too self-centered.

I think what’s frustrating is that you have people reject expertise to begin with and at the same time find someone with credentials that may not have any expertise in what is needed. Like sure the chiropractor went to some additional schooling so maybe that’s better than your high school degree but they are just parroting back whatever will allow them to make money off you. Up the food chain it goes, and sometimes it might not even be with exploitation in mind, the I went to medical school and became a doctor so I have the capacity to tell you things, oh what do you do, oh ophthalmologist, cool.

Back