• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

First day of school for Broward county public schools is next Wednesday, Aug 18th.

First day of school for Broward county public schools is next Wednesday, Aug 18th.

That's great. Have you heard of teacher in-service days? Or better still, do you wish to seriously argue that reopening schools without a masking mandate (Broward County is defying your hero's executive order) is either safe or sane?

Last edited:
The desperation with which this guy trolls Florida covid posts is really something.

How is requiring an ID to vote racist, but requiring an ID plus a vaccination card to eat and go to the gym not racist.

Aside from racism one is a solution to a made up, nonexistent problem and the other is an actual solution to a real problem and you people are on the wrong side of both. Congrats on your dipshit party and its bamboozling of its constituency into self-harm to cement a voting bloc that will support more self harming policy. Genius

The desperation with which this guy trolls Florida covid posts is really something.

I think he is getting nervous because his NY vs FL troll falls apart in approximately a month if deaths continue at current pace. Now with school, weather and such I don’t think that’s going to happen as deaths in NY will rise. However absolutely ridiculous it’s a possibility given the period of time we are in for the pandemic.

The right are getting better at comedy and it's making the left nervous:

That's great. Have you heard of teacher in-service days? Or better still, do you wish to seriously argue that reopening schools without a masking mandate (Broward County is defying your hero's executive order) is either safe or sane?

Just to clarify - You believe these non-vaccinated teachers contracted COVID during the in-service days?

Feel free to show me a legitimate study which proves mask mandates work in schools and I'm all ears.

Unfortunately the bullshit Duke/ABC Science Collaborative study you quoted earlier from the Yahoo article doesn't hold water as all of the NC schools in this study were under a mask mandate. How is it possible to come to their conclusion without comparing to data from schools not under a mask mandate? Where is the control group?

Article in Fortune with stats on schools in the UK with no mask mandate:

https://fortune.com/2021/08/12/as-delta-infections-spiked-covid-cases-in-schools-actually-fell-a-lesson-from-england/

Here is a study which shows case rates were higher last year in mask mandated vs. mask optional schools:

https://statsiq.co1.qualtrics.com/public-dashboard/v0/dashboard/5f78e5d4de521a001036f78e#/dashboard/5f78e5d4de521a001036f78e?pageId=Page_c0595a5e-9e70-4df2-ab0c-14860e84d36a

Even more appropriate since this is a distilled down non-scientific article, do you read the shit that you post? No masks because the UK schools are just like FL schools, oh wait they have something better than masks…..

“ The ONS chalks up the drop in cases to “school gate” measures as well as the asymptomatic testing program, which required students to test themselves twice a week. That succeeded in keeping a higher number of COVID-19 infected students out of school, thus reducing the risk of infection.

Won’t be so easy this fall

However, things are due to change as the Boris Johnson government recently dropped its “bubble” rule, which had placed kids in consistent groups throughout classes and required that the whole group go home and self-isolate whenever one member of the bubble tested positive for COVID-19. Come September, schoolkids in England are free to mix and mingle as they did before the pandemic.”

Palm Beach County, Fla., has asked 440 students to quarantine just two days into the school year, after 51 students and faculty had confirmed cases on COVID-19.

The School District of Palm Beach County, the 10th largest school district in the country, teaches an estimated 197,000 students, according to the district's website.

So assuming 3,000 staff/admin positions, that's 51 positive cases out of 200,000 or 0.026%.

Thanks for the link!

Angus loves to troll, and I've called him out more than once on this thread, but from that article:

Mike Burke, Palm Beach County superintendent of schools, chats with students as they eat breakfast on Tuesday. The school district has asked 440 students to quarantine just days into the school year.

The School District of Palm Beach County, the 10th largest school district in the country, teaches an estimated 197,000 students, according to the district's website. While students and staff are required to wear masks in the district, Interim School District Superintendent Michael Burke said in an interview with MSNBC that 5,700 Palm Beach students have opted out, per an order from Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis that allows parents to give permission to their children to do so.

Burke blamed the opt-out rule as the reason for the spike in cases, calling on DeSantis to make changes to protect students from infection.

so...5,700 of 197,000 students (3%) have opted out of the mask rule, and the Superintendent is blaming the opt-outs

at the same time, 197,000 kids eat one, sometimes two meals per day in schools with shitty ventilation

I humbly suggest that perhaps the meals are more responsible for the spread than the opt-outs (And I don't have a solution for the meals, other than shuttering the schools or regularly testing asymptomatic kids)

ETA: also, two days into the school year, those who are positive probably got Covid-19 before the school year started

Last edited:
Just to clarify - You believe these non-vaccinated teachers contracted COVID during the in-service days?

Feel free to show me a legitimate study which proves mask mandates work in schools and I'm all ears.

Unfortunately the bullshit Duke/ABC Science Collaborative study you quoted earlier from the Yahoo article doesn't hold water as all of the NC schools in this study were under a mask mandate. How is it possible to come to their conclusion without comparing to data from schools not under a mask mandate? Where is the control group?

https://fortune.com/2021/08/12/as-delta-infections-spiked-covid-cases-in-schools-actually-fell-a-lesson-from-england/

Here is a study which shows case rates were higher last year in mask mandated vs. mask optional schools:

https://statsiq.co1.qualtrics.com/public-dashboard/v0/dashboard/5f78e5d4de521a001036f78e#/dashboard/5f78e5d4de521a001036f78e?pageId=Page_c0595a5e-9e70-4df2-ab0c-14860e84d36a

I have no idea if they contracted it during in-service days or not, it's possible. Teachers aren't just at schools when classes are being held. Maybe they got it outside of school. It has nothing to do with DeSantis' order preventing school districts from mandating masks being a dumbass and dangerous move, however.

As for that "bullshit" ABC/Duke report, you must have missed this part:

"Because North Carolina had a mask mandate for all K-12 schools, we could not compare masked schools to unmasked schools. To understand the preventive impact masks can have, we looked outside North Carolina for comparisons. Data from our research and from studies conducted in Utah, Missouri and Wisconsin shows that school transmission rates of coronavirus were low when schools enforced mask mandates. By contrast, one school in Israel without a mask mandate or proper social distancing protocols reported an outbreak of Covid-19 involving 153 students and 25 staff members.

Recent outbreaks at youth camps in Texas, Illinois and Florida show how quickly Covid-19 can spread among adolescents and adults who are largely unmasked and mostly unvaccinated, with the possibility of spreading into surrounding communities. The potential for this kind of community spread was the reason schools closed their doors in March 2020."

It's hilarious that you seem to think you know more than the actual doctors, scientists, and others who worked on this report (and others that came to similar conclusions, for that matter). It is well within what I've come to expect from you, though. And while I'm not going to do your homework for you, there is an abundance of evidence that masking works, not only in schools but in businesses, offices, and other indoor spaces. If you don't understand that then you're even dumber than I thought, and that's going some. I realize that you are desperate to defend your governor hero and seem to believe that you have a better handle on how to prevent the spread of covid than do actual health and medical professionals, but the bottom line is that you don't.

I get it, duke sucks in every way and everything, but you suck more.

From the article: "Nearly 1,600 kids with Covid-19 were hospitalized last week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — a new seven-day record and a 27 percent increase from the week before. Tennessee’s health commissioner expects the state’s children’s hospitals to be full by the week’s end. Louisiana reached that point more than a week ago. And Arkansas’ only children’s hospital has just two ICU beds remaining."

"Nor has the unprecedented wave of infections in children meaningfully moved parents of school-age children; nearly 60 percent said they opposed mandating shots for kids attending school in person, according to a new survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation. And almost 70 percent of Republican parents told pollsters they continue to oppose school mask mandates. In the face of this inaction, doctors and health officials are struggling to deal with the growing number of sick children."

"Some hospital systems and provider groups are begging schools to implement mask requirements to stem the tide of cases. On Tuesday, Arkansas Children’s Hospital joined other hospitals and medical organizations in a letter asking all schools in the state to mandate masks for everyone regardless of vaccination status — something school districts can do because a judge blocked a state ban on mask requirements."

"Yet even as infections spike and children's hospital capacity dwindles, few conservative policy makers are reconsidering their opposition to mask mandates and other steps experts say would make a difference in curbing the spread of the virus in schools. "There's no need to require masks in schools at this time," South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster told reporters on Monday, accusing the media and scientists of “exaggerating, engaging in hyperbole and unnecessarily alarming people” about the threat to kids.

Jesus. This is what happens when people fueled by hatred put the worst people in power.

Last edited:
Makes for a great voter, though.

Marjorie Taylor Greene goes on pro-Trump "Real America's Voice" network and says that "she's talked to hospital officials and that while "waiting rooms" may be full of COVID-19 patients, "the waiting rooms are full of all kinds of things — not just COVID." "So while the news tries to tell us the hospitals are slam-packed with COVID, that's just not the case," she said. "Everybody needs to get back down to common sense and remember that, you know, we're human. We can't live forever. We're going to catch all kinds of diseases and illnesses and other viruses, and we get hurt sometimes."

Back