• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Yeah, it's interesting, the majority of Trump supporters in my family are pro-vaccine ("Trump deserves all the credit!"), but there are also the anti-vaxxers who are now getting along much better with those who did not support Trump but have always been anti-vaccine for other reasons (skeptical of Western medicine overall). It's not an encouraging alliance.

The best explanation I've heard is that Republicans have united the crazies. They've had a lot of help from Facebook and the pandemic structuring informal exchange of information. Ten years ago, the anti-vax hippie had nothing in common with the white supremacist. Now they both think Soros and Bill Gates are putting 5G into your veins.

The best explanation I've heard is that Republicans have united the crazies. They've had a lot of help from Facebook and the pandemic structuring informal exchange of information. Ten years ago, the anti-vax hippie had nothing in common with the white supremacist. Now they both think Soros and Bill Gates are putting 5G into your veins.

That's exactly how it is. And it's turned formerly non-crazy Trump supporters into crazies, and made the somewhat crazy people even crazier. It really sucks.

Booster shots coming for everybody.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/us/politics/booster-shots.html

The Biden administration has decided that most Americans should get a coronavirus booster vaccination eight months after they received their second shot, and could begin offering third shots as early as mid-September, according to administration officials familiar with the discussions.

Officials are planning to announce the decision as early as this week. Their goal is to let Americans who received the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines know now that they will need additional protection against the Delta variant that is causing caseloads to surge across much of the nation. The new policy will depend on the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization of additional shots.

What about people who got J&J?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/16/politics/covid-19-booster-shots-biden-administration/index.html

This is the current booster plan for those who got vaccines with two doses. Officials are still gathering data for Johnson & Johnson's one-shot vaccine. Experts currently anticipate that those who received J&J will need booster shots as well, but they will make that decision once they have more data, a source familiar with discussions told CNN.

[h=1]What’s safe to do during summer’s Covid surge? STAT asked public health experts about their own plans[/h]
To try to cut through the fog, STAT contacted three dozen epidemiologists, immunologists, and other infectious disease experts around the country to see how they are navigating the risk of Covid in these uncertain times. Twenty-eight responded.

STAT didn’t ask these experts to explain how they would advise others. Rather, we asked them to answer 10 questions — saying yes, no or only if masked — about their own willingness to engage in various activities, assuming they were vaccinated.

Interesting chart and if you read the article, there are a lot of caveats to the "Yes" responses.

When the experts were asked whether they would eat indoors at a restaurant, responses were slightly more mixed. More than half of respondents said no, but six said they would, or would in off-peak hours, and three more said they would do it but would wear a mask when they weren’t eating.
Saad Omer, director of Yale’s Institute for Global Health, said he would eat indoors in a restaurant that required customers to show proof of vaccination. “I generally feel safe indoors in a restaurant as long as underlying community transmission is low and I’m eating with other vaccinated people,” wrote John Brownstein, an epidemiologist and chief innovation officer at Boston Children’s Hospital. “However, I always prioritize eating outside where possible.

quentionare-responses@2x-80-768x793.jpg

https://www.statnews.com/2021/08/17...-public-health-experts-about-their-own-plans/

I highly recommend everyone watch this video to learn about the latest science regarding the covid vaccine.

Nut jobs like him desperately need a community where they are valued and considered to be intelligent. He’s found one.

I highly recommend everyone watch this video to learn about the latest science regarding the covid vaccine.

Gawd. That's what these anti-mask, anti-vaxx idiots love to do - righteously rant and rave (often incoherently) at anybody in authority so they can feel tough and proud, and preferably with an audience so they can get the attention they clearly crave. The actual science and medical data (and logic) simply doesn't matter, all that matters is getting to rant and feeling like you're sticking it to the man. It would be amusing if it wasn't for the fact that these people are actually influencing policy in some places and getting elected to school boards and other places of power.

Last edited:
Republicans have been catering to the crazies for a long time in order to have the votes to cut taxes, eliminate regulations, and undemocratically consolidate power. The problem now is that the crazies are taking over the party.

The good Governor of Texas has covid - after already getting a booster shot (given that booster shots have just been approved, I guess he used his position to get something the average Texan couldn't yet). And I'm sure that he'll get the best medical care that money and power can buy. Meanwhile, he's banned mask mandates statewide and like some other GOP governors has shamelessly played to his base on covid issues.

The good Governor of Texas has covid - after already getting a booster shot (given that booster shots have just been approved, I guess he used his position to get something the average Texan couldn't yet). And I'm sure that he'll get the best medical care that money and power can buy. Meanwhile, he's banned mask mandates statewide and like some other GOP governors has shamelessly played to his base on covid issues.

interesting, he got the booster before people are being it being put forth at a Medical Center. It appears that he is much more concerned than he panders to his Texans.

The same people who couldn't understand their kid's fourth grade math are now infectious disease experts.

Parent: Don't touch the hot stove!
Kid 1: Stop taking away my freedom!
Kid 2: I have rights!
Kid 3: None of my friends have had problems with a hot stove.

interesting, he got the booster before people are being it being put forth at a Medical Center. It appears that he is much more concerned than he panders to his Texans.

Many of you will be put in harms way, will suffer and even die. I of course will not be alongside you (that’d be suicide), but it’s a sacrifice I need you to make for my chances in the next election cycle.

The basic southern Republican strategy at this point

Back