• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

No doubt. And all these assholes are making life difficult for that miniscule perccentage of the population. Either way, everyone else is going to unmask, move on, and start living life like they did before. And it's going to happen rapidly over the next month or so.

About 20% of the US population is under age 16. About 5% is on immune suppression for conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease.

It's nice to get out if you can. I had a normal Saturday. Lunch with friends at a new brewery with a nice outdoor area. Then pizza and Griz-Raptors with another family. Just got home from a PTA mixer at a local golf club bar. First time hanging out with people I don't know since the pandemic started. Walked in and it was 20 PTA moms, no dudes. Thankfully I haven't lost my charm.

About 20% of the US population is under age 16. About 5% is on immune suppression for conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease.

Nice try, my wife has rheumatoid arthritis and is vaccinated. We even have our own legit stockpile is hydroxychloroquine as a result. My kids are wearing masks to school for next to no good reason and are getting vaccinated.

It's nice to get out if you can. I had a normal Saturday. Lunch with friends at a new brewery with a nice outdoor area. Then pizza and Griz-Raptors with another family. Just got home from a PTA mixer at a local golf club bar. First time hanging out with people I don't know since the pandemic started. Walked in and it was 20 PTA moms, no dudes. Thankfully I haven't lost my charm.

Ha, this reminds me of the SNL sketch from this weekend https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lesTkxvcSFw

One would have to think the world could give you more than Griz-Raps as reward for a year of isolation. Had a co-worker whose parent just died of covid. Have to imagine they chose not get the vaccine. Am told they think its the steroids they were given that did it in. Not sure if that's a thing or not, or just what someone who's anti science thinks.

One would have to think the world could give you more than Griz-Raps as reward for a year of isolation. Had a co-worker whose parent just died of covid. Have to imagine they chose not get the vaccine. Am told they think its the steroids they were given that did it in. Not sure if that's a thing or not, or just what someone who's anti science thinks.

Steroids can cause a lot of side effects, but it probably wasn’t the steroids.

Ha, this reminds me of the SNL sketch from this weekend https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lesTkxvcSFw

Good reference. Wish that sketch was at a outdoor patio though. It bothered me when I watched it.

I got to see 3 NBA games this year about 30 minutes from my house. Got to see my Spurs in person for the first time. The world hooked me up. And my 8 year old loved it and wants to go to some Magic games next year.

Forgot the Raps were playing down there, thought you meant you went with a family to watch that on TV, which read as very strange to me.

Or, and hear me out, you have anaphylaxis to vaccines, are under age 16, don’t respond to the vaccine (well less than half of those with a solid organ transplant respond, for example), etc.

All of these things occurring in statistically insignificant quantities except for the under age 16 group, which largely doesn't get seriously ill from the virus and now doesn't have the burden of being considered vectors that could take down their (at the time) unvaccinated grandparents.

But you knew those were outliers and not the actual assholes he is referring to.

Plenty of them vaccine-resistant “assholes” are getting sick and hospitalized. And dying. Still running through whole famblies of ‘em.

Like I said horrible messaging. Here in Georgia you can go anywhere and get the vaccine, walk-in no appointment necessary. There is absolutely no excuse not to be vaccinated yet here we are with one of the lowest rates in the country. In the beginning you had the people that didn’t want to listen to science, no masks, no distancing, no change in behavior. There’s a high correlation that those same people don’t want to be vaccinated, so just assholes through out the pandemic. The reason the rates are high are because of those people, period.

However now you have a new group of assholes emerge that also don’t want to listen to science and that just can let go. Pandemic shut-ins that want to keep wearing masks outside, shame people for going to a indoor restaurant, flying on a plane, taking vacation and so forth. You can drop some statistical aberrations and what about scenarios but one a vaccinated person isn’t the cause for it and two when would it end. Those same people in those bad outcome scenarios need to worry about (insert any communicable disease).

I said it since the beginning when you can freely get a vaccine without a wait, that’s when you should be free to do whatever the fuck you want, and in some places that time is now. So enjoy being unvaccinated and risking your life to a preventable disease or enjoy remaining isolated at home and occasionally seeing the sun while wearing your mask, meanwhile me and the rest of normal society will go on living life, Ph will be at a game, Palma at a bar, everyone’s welcome to rejoin society just go get vaccinated and wait 6 weeks.

Difference is the first group of assholes has been responsible for propagating and worsening the deadly pandemic. And remain an active danger to many vulnerable folks not as able to benefit from vaccination.

The second is mainly just annoying to some people.

I have been watching the "deaths per day" number. It's been steadily trending down and is below 400. For reference, in a typical flu year, roughly 100 Americans die of the flu per day on average (obviously more in the winter and less in the summer). Pretty soon we will be approaching the level of deaths per day that would be expected in a "bad" flu year. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

We don't require everyone to get a flu vaccine, or shame them, or all wear masks and stay in our houses during a "bad" flu year.

Now COVID is not the same as the flu ("long flu" is not a thing, for example) but I think the comparison is worth considering. If and when we get to a place where COVID deaths per day are 200 or below, we have to reasonably ask ourselves whether restrictions should continue.

In a month it won't matter whether you have restrictions or not. People and businesses are going to do whatever they damn well please and any governor who tries to hold them back is going to lose re-election.

Yeah, part of the problem will be arguments such as "it's like the flu" that reasonable people have been battling for a year are about to become accurate. Plus people generally can't get their heads around statistics at scale.

Sure, breakthrough cases are happening and people are even dying of Covid after being vaccinated. But last I checked it was around 100 people out of the almost 100 million vaccinated. I couldn't find exact stats but a couple articles noted that the vast majority had sever underlying issues, other illnesses that aided Covid's impact, or were technically out of the 14 day window but could have contracted it earlier.

Even as a science-loving liberal I'm definitely struggling with some family and friends who are a month clear of their 2nd jab and are acting like absolutely nothing has changed. I still don't think the entire state of Virginia has had a single healthy kid under 10 get COVID and die, but schools where the entire staff was prioritized and vaccinated long ago won't open because its turned into a bargaining chip.

Despite all of that, as folks come out of this thing with their own experiences, baggage, issues, etc. - it's a real dick move to pressure or try to force them into situations they're not comfortable in yet.

the lack of any federal leadership and coordination on the response has really come to a head here

you have people on both ends taking things way too far

I'm just tired of being talked down to for over a year

I’m fine wearing a mask around until we get to a higher vaccinated percentage, I really don’t care about wearing one at this point. At least they cut down on the extent to which I need to see and hear horribly ugly and loud people so that’s a plus.

I’m fine wearing a mask around until we get to a higher vaccinated percentage, I really don’t care about wearing one at this point. At least they cut down on the extent to which I need to see and hear horribly ugly and loud people so that’s a plus.

Maybe just don't look in the mirror.

Back