• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

I think the problem with it came from a lab is it gives oxygen to the more crazy conspiracy shit like it is man made or a bio weapon so if you give an inch those dumb as shit people will run with it. The ideas of where it came from are

1. It’s a natural acquired event, the host animal is a bat, the intermediate animal is undetermined and just because that is so doesn’t make it any less likely, for other coronaviruses that jumped species it took a significant period of time to determine where it came from, for some viruses it actually has never been 100% confirmed. The chances that a population of billions encounters an infected animal is a high probability. As stated the genetics are highly homologous to bats.

2. The virus is a natural virus that is found in bats, those samples were collected, brought to the lab, and that virus managed to infect someone working with it. Most probable lab theory because samples from bats are collected all the time, accidents happen because of lack of training, etc…

3. The virus is a natural virus that was experimented on doing gain of function research. That is where you experiment to determine if a virus can become more virulent, less virulent, sequences to look for in nature, etc.. It is done all the time for flu, about 10 years ago a pandemic flu was created at the CDC and I believe University of Wisconsin, the research was buried so that people couldn’t use it for bad purposes.

Gain of function research for a bat coronavirus would be a pain in the ass because to do it you usually pass a virus back and forth between a host, ferrets for flu, not easy between bat species so once again would need an intermediate host, not easy between snakes, and don’t think enough pangolins even exist in the world. This also then requires poor lab practices, an accident and escape. Additionally, this research would be critical for development of a vaccine, treatments, etc… yet Chinas vaccine relatively sucks so if they had this information they were really dumb with it.

4. The virus is the China virus bio weapon designed to take down, I don’t know Trump I guess who the fuck knows. It would be the shittiest bioweapon ever designed. It has no hallmarks of direct genetic manipulation. For example if I was going to bioengineer a bat coronavirus to infect humans would I use a viral spike binding protein that binds to the ace receptor kinda poorly or better idea I just take the ace receptor ligand and put it into the virus for 100% efficient binding. This is the dumb you breath to life by giving any ground to the lab idea

With all that says what actually changes response wise, pretty much only the last option really matters because thats intentional, but it’s also the least likely crazy as fuck idea with no proof. All other options have no effect for you day to day, it would be better regulation of markets, animal human interactions, monitoring and global warning systems. Option 2-3 would be changes to laboratory practices and the operation of research labs.

Also for any option global health security is something that requires constant investment be it at a country level to simply monitoring of disease status of individuals presenting with unknown symptoms. Natural infections will emerge more often through climate change and population growths. Technology advancements have also made bioweapon ideas more probable but it doesn’t need to be a global power like China, it can be a guy in a garage with 50 pet store ferrets. Hell there was a study a few years ago where a group recreated smallpox by ordering chunks of DNA sequences from different companies then linking together and putting into cells.

If any of 2 - 4 is true we bill China for the whole thing.

its more about a reactionary push back against the covid denying, anti-mask, anti-science assholes that kept fighting against attempts trying to combat covid with their "but mah freedumbs" crowd now now trying some fake gotcha moment in an attempt to say, "see i told you! I feel validated."

Good for you that you have the honesty to admit you think this but bad for you that you are so dug in you can't see how stupid it is.

Prediction: China will be less than compliant, not necessarily because the virus escaped from a lab, but because they don't want to expose their general safety standards to the outside world, and RWs will take this as definitive proof that Fauci personally designed the virus to take out Trump and so that he and Bill Gates can inject us all with microchips. Good news is that we have a president now that has a better chance of getting something out of China than we did before, not sure it will be enough.

Sorry, turftoe. That's a lot of words. I'd prefer to hear Brad's explanation.

Good for you that you have the honesty to admit you think this but bad for you that you are so dug in you can't see how stupid it is.

good for you that you can read but bad that you can't understand the point. then again, you are exactly the type of person i was posting about. if you need an "atta boy" consider it given.

good for you that you can read but bad that you can't understand the point. then again, you are exactly the type of person i was posting about. if you need an "atta boy" consider it given.

Tell me, which of my posts on this thread (or the one before it) did you find most offensive?

Probably going to be difficult to make an accurate determination as to if this virus “escaped” from a lab without the cooperation of China.

And they will pay the way trump pays

i-will-build-a-great-dog-park-bumper-magnet-magnets-182_1512x.jpg

If only we could cross the aisle for some good ol' fashioned good faith bipartisanship.

I don’t know. Junebug swears that Biden should have worked with pubs and that we don’t care about “black-on-black”’crime.

It's amazing what people will to do defend Trump. Fauci has worked with every president for the last 40 years and we just heard of him a year ago. But these people believe Fauci fucked up and not Trump.

Florida has been "open" for the last 15 months and DeSantis just allowed an large outdoor concert after the CDC allowed large outdoor events? This asshole loves to play every side.

Back