• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

This national emergency happened so quickly. Americans need relief now. It would be different if lawmakers had months to write a bill.

"family values"
"pro-life"
"Christian"

unless a Dem, then kill you all...

-Republicans

Fake news!

Now that dolt 45 lost and is actively fighting to stay in power the republicans are back to normal.

Which, actually, is a true statement. This bull sh!t is their normal. Party over people.

Is he really opposing the covid bill because it has too much money for foreigners and other giveaways, or is this just another act of petty spite since he lost the election and just wants to keep throwing a tantrum and wrecking everything he can before Biden takes office? I'd bet on the latter. If he could physically burn down Washington before Biden takes office I have little doubt that he would do it. He really is an incredibly spoiled child, who happens to be 74 years old.

Mitch McConnell is the most evil person on Earth. Just a tremendously fucked up system where a bill would pass (Hawley tweeted they have the votes) but one individual has the say on whether or not it even goes up for a vote. To quote Emperor Palpatine, "I am the Senate."

Mitch McConnell is the most evil person on Earth. Just a tremendously fucked up system where a bill would pass (Hawley tweeted they have the votes) but one individual has the say on whether or not it even goes up for a vote. To quote Emperor Palpatine, "I am the Senate."

Senate pubs can conceivably remove McConnell as leader whenever they want, right? They at least certainly could have done it at the start of this year, since they know full well how he operates. Gingrich was forced into resignation by an in-party insurrection.

My point is that any Senate Pub who votes to have McConnell as leader should be held accountable for this, even if they personally tweet that they would vote for the $2K.

Senate pubs can conceivably remove McConnell as leader whenever they want, right? They at least certainly could have done it at the start of this year, since they know full well how he operates. Gingrich was forced into resignation by an in-party insurrection.

My point is that any Senate Pub who votes to have McConnell as leader should be held accountable for this, even if they personally tweet that they would vote for the $2K.

There are only 3-4 Pub senators to potentially cross over on votes - Romney, Murkowski, Collins and maybe Sasse. And you have a handful of Tuesday a.m. Pubs in the house. That's who you're going to have to deal with to get any legislation passed. I was just talking to a friend who thinks Romney may switch his party affiliation to independent if McConnell tries to be too obstructionist. I am dubious that he'd grow that large a spine. The question to me is how beholden to Trump McConnell is once Trump is no longer in office. My guess is that Biden will get most of his cabinet through, that judicial nominations proceed at glacial speed, but that they'll be able to pass budgets and maybe a little legislation (like maybe federal sentencing reform but not stuff like health care or immigration reform). He needs to appear he's not completely obstructionist.

It's all a game to them. Very few of them really want to vote for the 2K (WI Sen. Ron Johnson, for example, has suddenly rediscovered a concern for the budget deficit now that a Democrat is about to be in the Oval Office), but they also know how bad that will look for PR purposes as the economy continues to struggle. And there's Loeffler and Perdue's special elections coming up. So Loeffler and Perdue are publicly saying that they "support" the 2K proposal, but they don't actually have to vote on it since McConnell is holding it up. It's a win-win for them - they get to falsely tell voters in GA that they are in favor of the proposal, but then they don't actually have to vote on it. Same is true for other Republican Senators - they can claim they're for it, but don't actually have to go on record as voting for it. Such GOP dissembling seems to work in many states, as with Collins in ME and Ernst in IA.

Last edited:
It's pretty simple.

If you give money to folks that don't have a lot, they'll spend it and the spending will benefit everyone, the economy, etc.

If you give money to rich folks, they'll save/invest a lot of it and it won't be as much of an economic stimulus.

Aside from the fact that, you know, you're helping folks that need help if you give money to folks whut needs it.

It's pretty simple.

If you give money to folks that don't have a lot, they'll spend it and the spending will benefit everyone, the economy, etc.

If you give money to rich folks, they'll save/invest a lot of it and it won't be as much of an economic stimulus.

Aside from the fact that, you know, you're helping folks that need help if you give money to folks whut needs it.

This guy gets it...

Remember what happened after the tax breaks for “trickle down economics”, the largest corporation stock buy back in American history. Over 1 trillion if I remember correctly.

This guy gets it...

Remember what happened after the tax breaks for “trickle down economics”, the largest corporation stock buy back in American history. Over 1 trillion if I remember correctly.

Trickle down has been a scam ever since the Gilded Age. Back then the wealthy built mansions and lavish estates like the Biltmore House and took long vacations in Europe. They rarely invest their savings and create jobs as is usually claimed, instead they just blow their tax savings on themselves and their families and give their corporate executives insane raises while everyone else struggles to just to stay in place. Trickle down is really just "let them eat cake" translated into free enterprise jargon.

Back