• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CP3 takes on Trump

Dude. Get it together. You said:

Your mental gymnastics took my saying there are parallels (freedom of speech/expression being the main one) to the two issues to making them the same. I then stated "of course they aren't the same". Now you're the one asking how they are different? This is bizarre.

My bad. I thought you were replying to another of my posts.

The only "interesting" (that's a kind word for it) comparison between the two situations is that most of Trump's supporters have more disdain for Kaepernick's type of free speech than for flying a flag of a white supremacist nation that fought a war against the US.

They both fall under free speech but that's about the only parallel.

This may be the most absurd analogy I've ever read on the boards. And that's including RJ, BKF, and a bunch of parodies.

Why? Slavery is comparable to the Holocaust.

Yep. I don't know what history people are learning. I grew up in the rural South. I went to public schools. I learned these things.

Some people can't handle the truth that the great civilizations humanity built today was built on genocide, forced migration, and enslavement. Apparently loving America means that you have to ignore this reality completely.

FIFY

Why? Slavery is comparable to the Holocaust.

One was an institution in place across the majority of civilizations in the world for thousands of years. One was a madman trying to exterminate a large percentage of the population like rats. They're both horrible, but really not very comparable.

Of course they are not identical. So they are certainly contrastable. And also comparable. Both involved the dehumanization of a subset of humans based largely upon what can be considered their race. Probably not helpful to try and argue which was "worse". Certainly the African slave industry lasted much longer, as is pointed out in this piece:

Can You Compare African Slave Trade to the Holocaust?

One was an institution in place across the majority of civilizations in the world for thousands of years. One was a madman trying to exterminate a large percentage of the population like rats. They're both horrible, but really not very comparable.

Yeah we did that too. We even have a holiday coming up celebrating it.

Yeah we did that too. We even have a holiday coming up celebrating it.

Ding.

And plenty of slaves were exterminated. Native Americans were definitely exterminated.

Right. So do people just not know how bad the Atlantic slave trade was or do they just not care?

It is important to remember there are still plenty of Holocaust deniers out there too.

Back