• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Crazy Stat - 2 Point FG% - Wilbekin

REALLY good basketball players spend the entire summer working on their 2 point game.

Threes - everybody jacks those up.

Dunks - everybody in AAU is doing that.

But 2 point shots...that's the type of thing Michael Jordan would do late in his career - work on his post up game instead of long distance shooting. Jordan, Rodney Rogers, Barkley --- get the work done in the gym.

Um what? It's not 1996 anymore. Really good basketball players work on getting and making as many shots as possible from 2 feet in or 23 feet out. See Steph Curry (now that he's recovered from early season slump) and Joel Embiid. Players that have made their money on being deadly from 18 feet (CP3 and more recently Blake come to mind) are starting to add more 3 point shots to their game (Chris quietly became a 40+% volume 3P shooter).

Article on another thread talked about Collins weakness as a PnR player. That could have something to do with our layup woes. Our guards get met by the other team's bigs but don't have an outlet under the basket to give the ball up to. They could do a better job of just dribbling underneath and getting the ball back out, but Collins could get some easy buckets if he made himself more available on those drives.

I'm with Chill. Also, I think you are rewriting history somewhat - Charles Barkley was not a gym rat and Rodney Rogers annoyed more than one NBA coach by launching more 3s that he ought to have taken. He shot a career low percentage from the 3-point line in the pros and was suprisingly reluctant to do much back to the basket work.

Um what? It's not 1996 anymore. Really good basketball players work on getting and making as many shots as possible from 2 feet in or 23 feet out. See Steph Curry (now that he's recovered from early season slump) and Joel Embiid. Players that have made their money on being deadly from 18 feet (CP3 and more recently Blake come to mind) are starting to add more 3 point shots to their game (Chris quietly became a 40+% volume 3P shooter).

Article on another thread talked about Collins weakness as a PnR player. That could have something to do with our layup woes. Our guards get met by the other team's bigs but don't have an outlet under the basket to give the ball up to. They could do a better job of just dribbling underneath and getting the ball back out, but Collins could get some easy buckets if he made himself more available on those drives.

Seems like a weird thing to argue with regards to Wilbekin. He could clearly benefit most as a player from developing a strong mid-range game. Given his size/athleticism, he'll never be a strong finisher (or good defender), and is already a good 3 pt shooter.

Adding his 2 point attempts when fouled and his free throw makes, Wilbekin is 30/70 (43%) from 2. He also got fouled on 2 threes and made all 6 throws, so he's 41/98 (42%) from 3.

Didn't somebody post a chart recently of shots made from each distance? Can't find it on a quick search, but would be interesting to look at.

Seems like a weird thing to argue with regards to Wilbekin. He could clearly benefit most as a player from developing a strong mid-range game. Given his size/athleticism, he'll never be a strong finisher (or good defender), and is already a good 3 pt shooter.

Best thing Wilbekin could do, both for himself and the team, is improve even more as a three point shooter, become a better passer when driving to the basket and/or become more selective on his shot attempts at the rim.

Wilbekin is a strange player. We all agree that 14% shooting on 2's in acc play sucks. But overall, he shoots over 40% from 3's, 90% from the free throw line, and has a 4 to 1 turnover/assist ratio. All 3 of those stats are fantastic and goes to show you that stats aren't everything.

He also hits some key threes for us.

Wilbekin is essentially just a zero-creation floor spacer. That has good value on an offense that has great creation, like WF has w/ Collins and Crawford.

The real problem is that he's not good at defense. Essentially a 3 and D guy without the D. If general if our offensive floor spacers could also play some defense we'd have a hell of a team.

If you give me a lineup of Crawford, Woods, Collins, Dinos and say pick Wilbekin or Chill for the 5th spot I'm taking Wilbekin 100%. If you give me a lineup of Woods, McClinton, Arians, Doral Moore and tell me to pick Wilbekin or Chill for the 5th spot I'm taking Chill 100%. Just depends on if your lineup needs creation or floor spacing efficiency.

Just reread an earlier post and I should have said 4 to 1 assist to turnover rate instead of the other way around. In other words, it's really good

Even without the title of this thread I read the first line and said, oh that's because MW keeps trying to drive the lane.

This debate/discussion is interesting because I was thinking about how many fast break layups we have been missing lately. It's way too many, and has really hurt us in bad timing.

Right now our guards don't create off the dribble very well and if we can't get the ball to Collins it seems like they play hot potato, at times. Will is not afraid of taking the shot or putting the ball on the ground and driving at the end of the shot clock. Most of them are not 'high quality shots' inside the 3pt line. I like the moxy and has come through at times, but I wish Woods would take on that responsibility. Woods has at times, but it needs to be more often.

Childress is right, he needs to improve his 3pt shot and passing off his drives. He is a solid player, has to play a lot of minutes due to personnel. I think next year his minutes might drop when we have a solid 3 in the lineup.

Arians averages 24 min/game. I can't imagine Chaudee playing many more than that. It would take Rich Wash emerging to steal Wilbekin's minutes. Actually he could get more minutes is Chaudee can play a small ball 4. We may do that more if Moore and SJM aren't reliable.

Of course, right on cue, Wilbeken goes 0-4 from 3 and 1-1 from two today

Of course, right on cue, Wilbeken goes 0-4 from 3 and 1-1 from two today

And hilariously got fouled on his first 2 long point jumper, which never happens (made both free throws) and a possession later drives but pulls up and drains it just like we were discussing. Maybe he reads the boards, ha.

Wilbekin is the kind of player Wake will not have on the roster as we hopefully ascend the ranks of college basketball..Okay transition player from dumpster fire to respectability but not what you want as a competitive program.

Wilbekin is the kind of player Wake will not have on the roster as we hopefully ascend the ranks of college basketball..Okay transition player from dumpster fire to respectability but not what you want as a competitive program.

I'm not a huge Wilbekin fan, but "not have on the roster" is pretty harsh. His limitations are clear, but his intelligence, hustle, and shooting ability are enough to warrant role player status on a team with a full complement of ACC talent.

Two players in the ACC in the top fifty two point shooters in the country. If you shooting twos you don't understand the modern game.

I had these updated before the game today, but here is some data about Wake shooting through the Notre Dame game.

fBIVCZb.png

Wilbekin actually hit his first 2 point jump shot of ACC play today, for such a good three point shooter I found that shocking. I glanced at the game log and they had it at 17 feet.

Here is a plot of all those players grouped together (I had mentioned last time I posted the chart, I've only counted these 8 players for the team totals, may eventually include the rest of the team, but don't think it makes much of a difference). We are absolutely garbage on mid-range jump shots. Obviously these are typically the worst shots for point expectancy anyway, but I still thought I'd see more of gradual decline to the three point line, not a gap of terrible shooting 11-16 feet. All this shot distance data is taken from the fox sports play by play, three pointers start at 22 feet.

xAeKaKe.png

Lastly, if anyone cares, here is the offensive rating of players who qualified for all the ACC games (minimum of 10 minutes I think is where they stopped showing offensive rating), so Doral dropped out of this chart.

hBijpCS.png

Wilbekin is a very good shooter when he catches/releases with his feet set. When he takes at least one dribble before shooting, his percentage craters. He was 1-5 today in the first half shooting off the dribble (though, to be fair, he was fouled on one of those misses, so it wouldn't show up in the stats).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back