• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CS wages down again, H-1B visas having an impact?

Disgusting
Keep in mind this vid was posted in 2007. Both Pubs and Dems have their hands dirty when it comes to screwing American workers.
Immigration attorneys from Cohen & Grigsby explains how they assist employers in running classified ads with the goal of NOT finding any qualified applicants, and the steps they go through to disqualify even the most qualified Americans in order to secure green cards for H-1b workers. See what Bush and Congress really mean by a "shortage of skilled U.S. workers." Microsoft, Oracle, Hewlett-Packard, and thousands of other companies are running fake ads in Sunday newspapers across the country each week.

Last edited:
We did something similar at a previous job. We had a temp employee that we wanted to hire full time, but she was on a visa. It would have set us way back to attempt to train a new employee up to her level, but we were required to publish her position and show that there were no applicants. We worked with some esoteric and cutting edge technologies so it was pretty easy to create a job description nobody would be able to satisfy.

This would be a good first step if McCain and his ilk don't block it.
India IT sector fears new US H-1B visa bill for skilled workers
The bill introduced to the US House of Representatives proposes doubling the minimum salary of H-1B visa holders to $130,000 from $60,000.
Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren, introducing the bill, said it would stop companies "replacing" American workers.
India's foreign ministry said it had expressed concern to the US.
"India's interests and concerns have been conveyed both to the US administration and the US Congress at senior levels," a statement from the ministry said.

Link for what BSF said above
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ace-for-tough-future/articleshow/56887602.cms

A legislation has been introduced in the US House of Representatives which among other things calls for more than doubling the minimum salary of H-1B visa holders to USD 130,000, making it difficult for firms to use the programme to replace American employees with foreign workers, including from India.

This is more than double of the current H-1B minimum wage of USD 60,000 which was established in 1989 and since then has remained unchanged.

An online calculator says $100 in 1989 is equal to $192 in 2016, so the bill re-establishes the original intent of the program.

Trump Is Right: Silicon Valley Is Using H-1B Visas To Pay Lower Wages
This immobility is of huge value to many employers, as it means that a foreign worker can’t leave them in the lurch in the midst of an urgent project. In a 2012 meeting between Google and several researchers, including myself, the firm explained the advantage of hiring foreign workers: the company can’t prevent the departure of Americans, but the foreign workers are stuck. David Swaim, an immigration lawyer who designed Texas Instruments’ immigration policy and is now in private practice, overtly urges employers to hire foreign students instead of Americans.

This stranglehold on foreign workers enables firms to pay low wages. Academics with industry funding claim otherwise, but one can see how it makes basic economic sense: If a worker is not a free agent in the labor market, she cannot swing the best salary deal. And while the industry’s clout gives it bipartisan congressional support concerning H-1B and green card policy, Congress’s own commissioned report found that H-1B workers “received lower wages, less senior job titles, smaller signing bonuses and smaller pay and compensation increases than would be typical for the work they actually did.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-h-1b_us_5890d86ce4b0522c7d3d84af

I'm a senior manager at one of the biggest of the SV tech companies. I can say my company does not vary pay based on immigration status and I'd be shocked if this was true of other top SV firms. The Silicon Valley hires the best of the best from all over the world - the notion that some US grads are on the outside looking in is true. They simply aren't smart or skilled enough to survive in the Valley and no one owes them anything based on their nationality.

Last edited:
I'm a senior manager at one of the biggest of the SV tech companies. I can say my company does not vary pay based on immigration status and I'd be shocked if this was true of other top SV firms. The Silicon Valley hires the best of the best from all over the world - the notion that some US grads are on the outside looking in is true. They simply aren't smart or skilled enough to survive in the Valley and no one owes them anything based on their nationality.
Sure, it's all about "hiring the best", not about saving money, I really believe you. Not. Gotta love your lack of loyalty to your country and utter disdain for your fellow Americans.

Last edited:
I explicitly told you we don't have pay differentials - that is a fact. You can post links about some company I have never heard of but that doesn't negate the truth for my current and former companies. Wouldn't you right wing bozos be the first to complain about affirmative action? You are asking for it for American STEM students that simply don't stack up. Those that do are employed.

I explicitly told you we don't have pay differentials - that is a fact. You can post links about some company I have never heard of but that doesn't negate the truth for my current and former companies. Wouldn't you right wing bozos be the first to complain about affirmative action? You are asking for it for American STEM students that simply don't stack up. Those that do are employed.

I don't believe you, that Americans aren't qualified, and I believe American companies have a duty to look to hire qualified Americans first. And I can post plenty of articles of SV companies misusing the H1B program. I don't know you or the company you work for, but your attitude towards Americans, that they're simply not good enough to work for your company, at a time when we're producing more STEM graduates than ever before, disgusts me. I suspect it represents an anti-American bias that is prevalent in SV, where 75% of the STEM workforce is foreign born. If it was simply about bringing in the best and the brightest, like you claim, I'd be somewhat more okay with it. But that is clearly not what's going on in many instances.

If the H1B program is about hiring the best and the brightest, I take it you don't have a problem with raising the current minimum salary to $130,000? That's the minimum the best and brightest demand in your field, right? Keeping it at $60,000 since the 80s defeats the purpose of the program, no? Anyway, even if you don't work for one of the tech companies that abuses the H1B program, there are many that do.

Last edited:

Icker, it's useless to to reason with bob,jr. No amount of your personal experience will ever penetrate what he's been brainwashed to believe. It's useless to try.

If the H1B program is about hiring the best and the brightest, I take it you don't have a problem with raising the current minimum salary to $130,000? That's the minimum the best and brightest demand in your field, right? Keeping it at $60,000 since the 80s defeats the purpose of the program, no? Anyway, even if you don't work for one of the tech companies that abuses the H1B program, there are many that do.

No, I don't have a problem with 130K as that is the low end of what new hires are paid. I wholly disagree that US companies have an obligation to hire American workers with preference. Any company should hire the best combination of talent they see fit to run their company successfully. My H1B hires have been educated in the US raising the stature of US universities, pay US taxes, and drive innovation. This legislation is xenophobic and myopic. The tech industry is one of the remaining advantages for the US economy. If we force the talent elsewhere, I promise the tech sector won't be far behind. We will simply set up shop in Canada or wherever we can find reasonable immigration laws such that we can coalesce talent and continue to drive innovation.

No, I don't have a problem with 130K as that is the low end of what new hires are paid. I wholly disagree that US companies have an obligation to hire American workers with preference. Any company should hire the best combination of talent they see fit to run their company successfully. My H1B hires have been educated in the US raising the stature of US universities, pay US taxes, and drive innovation. This legislation is xenophobic and myopic. The tech industry is one of the remaining advantages for the US economy. If we force the talent elsewhere, I promise the tech sector won't be far behind. We will simply set up shop in Canada or wherever we can find reasonable immigration laws such that we can coalesce talent and continue to drive innovation.

+1

SOME TECH COMPANIES FIND WAYS NOT TO HIRE AMERICANS
The government requires employers to prove they looked for American workers first. So the companies have to advertise the job. But the lawyer tells them they don't have to advertise it too conspicuously.

"Our goal is, clearly, not to find a qualified and interested U.S. worker," the lawyer in the video says. He later adds, "We're going to find a place where ... we're complying with the law and hoping — and likely — not to find qualified and interested worker applicants."

Immigration law firms do this all the time: They show employers how to recruit Americans without actually having to hire them. This lawyer didn't want to talk to NPR, maybe because anti-visa activists have been sending this video around for years. It's Exhibit A in their argument that recruiting rules are a sham.

In the parts of the country where tech companies are prevalent, this kind of "faux recruiting" is common knowledge. But people in the industry quickly learn not to waste their time on certain job listings, says Orion Hughes, a software tester.

"A lot of us are aware of that ruse," he says.

Hughes and others avoid the listings with overly specific requirements, such as the number of years in "the job offered." That often means the employer just wants to make permanent a temporary foreign worker who's already in the job. And if you're stubborn enough to apply anyway, Hughes says that interview is going to be awkward.

"If you want to put yourself in that manager's shoes, it's an uncomfortable situation for them," he says. "They will [have a] kind of a sour facial expression, and they'll go from one question to the next. They are finding some reason to exclude you."
http://www.npr.org/2013/06/26/195512274/some-tech-companies-find-ways-not-to-hire-americans

Back