• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 116: Is That A Margarita Runnin Down Your Leg Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fine fine fine I'll cave, it is probably easy to cook and eat all vegetables. I just eat the same food all the time and chard and 18 other kinds of leafy greens are not part of my norm.

csas are pretty dope. we used to have one in dc. now i just go to the farmer's market every saturday. kinda wish i had a csa delivery weds/thurs and the market saturday.

fine fine fine I'll cave, it is probably easy to cook and eat all vegetables. I just eat the same food all the time and chard and 18 other kinds of leafy greens are not part of my norm.

speaking of, i tried steamed kale for the first time with my lunch today. i liked the texture, but thought it tasted reeeally bland. LBE, Hoops, any other veggie cooks out there: what's your recommendation for yummy(ier) kale?

Oh yeah, if you have a chest freezer, the "part of an animal" deal is usually pretty awesome. Know some peeps that did this with a pig and they had some legit sausage and bacon from that venture.

I picked up an 1/8th of a steer this summer and shared it with a buddy, so I ended up with 1/16th - about 30# of local, grass fed, antibiotic/hormone free beef at $5.25/pound. It's been really good so far, though I haven't eaten much of it. The ground beef is great, a little lean, but makes a mean burger. This past weekend I grilled up 2 T-Bones and they were delicious. The filet side of the T-bone was a little on the small side, but all together it was a really nice steak.

A standard freezer can take a full 1/8th if you don't have much else in there. I fit my 1/16th no problem, but getting all the meat from the 1/8th would have been a challenge with the other stuff that was already in the freezer.

speaking of, i tried steamed kale for the first time with my lunch today. i liked the texture, but thought it tasted reeeally bland. LBE, Hoops, any other veggie cooks out there: what's your recommendation for yummy(ier) kale?

Sauteed. Go search the last chat thread - we had a long kale discussion last week.

Add onion & use a wine for a little bit of water. Them steam it and simmer that wine down.

They just sent out the national list for people who will be out an extended time and one lady is out because her son was born in February 27 weeks premature. WTF how did he live?

sorry, the only way i like kale is kale chips. i don't find it particularly yummy any other way, so i'm no help.

They just sent out the national list for people who will be out an extended time and one lady is out because her son was born in February 27 weeks premature. WTF how did he live?

i'd assume they worded it wrong, and he was born at 27 weeks. still really early, and definitely a problem. but not like he was born at 13 weeks.

Sauteed. Go search the last chat thread - we had a long kale discussion last week.

yeah, i treat kale, chard, spinach (when i cook it) pretty much the same. sauteed with oil and garlic. haven't tried LCD's kale with bacon, but it sounds delicious.

kale is my least favorite of the leafy greens... maybe second. the only reason i actually like collards is because it's cooked to oblivion with other delicious things.

smoothies

raw salad w/ lemon and garlic:

1 bunch of tender young kale
Juice of 1 lemon
1 large clove garlic, chopped very fines
1-2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt or Herbamare (sea salt with organic herbs) to taste
Preparation:

Cut the kale into ½” wide strips. Whisk together the lemon, garlic and olive oil and toss gently with the kale, adding seasoning to taste. Let the kale marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight to tenderize.
Serves 4-6

sauteed like above

any of those leafy greens are good with white beans and a salty pork product (sausage, pancetta, bacon, etc.) as a soup, saute, or pasta sauce.

any of those leafy greens are good with white beans and a salty pork product (sausage, pancetta, bacon, etc.) as a soup, saute, or pasta sauce.

yeah, i think i'm going to make up a white bean soup w/ kale and sausage for this winter.

I hate the politics board, so I am posting this here- I am so over Obama.

I dislike that he is framing his interest in Syria as humanitarian and that CNN was given the videos of the chemical weapons to generate support among the American people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back