• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 201:Your Thread will collapse like there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lets take all expenses, food, etc. out of the equation, except for rent.

Have about $5,300 to play with/save/spend frivolously not counting any bonuses, which aren't going to be more than $10k/yr.

Option 1: Current rent = $1,300. Hoard like leebs and retire at 50. Closer to my social life. Probably wanna spend a few K upgrading floors, etc, been living there a long time.

Option 2: One of the fanciest complexes downtown, Rent = $3,000. Amenities galore, right in the middle of everything. Whole Foods on ground floor. Easy walk to 100 bars/restaurants. 3 miles away, congested annoying commute with lots of cars, but probably 10 min drive (free parking at office). Best metro location, can easily metro to social life in 30 mins + 10 min walk.

Option 3: Arts District/Little Tokyo. Asians+. Hipsters - $2,200/mo. Like being in Brooklyn. 2 mile drive, light back-road traffic. 5 mins. Walking distance to some cool spots, 2 bomb ass breweries and a barcade within a block or two. Metro accessible but have to change stations/lines twice and probably adds 30 mins.

Option 4: Chinatown. $2,400mo/ 10 minute walk, .5 mile drive. Not as many cool spots, mostly like pho and viatnemese food which ain't my thing.

2,3,4 all come with like a free month's rent mixed in (saving $200/mo for first year) + ~$125/mo in gas/insurance savings.

Choose your adventure.

Probably Option 3 if its not a terrible Uber ride to your old hood or you are OK with moving your social life to your new place.

Uber ride probably $15 each way (2,3,4 are like 8-10 miles east), friends would come to me lets say 1/3rd of the time now. I'd probably Uber that way 2x a week.

I googled rent for #3 and was expecting it to be around $2,700 making it closer to option #2, was surprised it was so low, became the clear front-runner as typing, but really hard to pass up a Whole Foods in the building, I'll eat a million times healthier. I'll also probably get bored of #3 within a year, so can just hop around and move.

Whole Foods in the building <> eating healthy. That food bar has some unhealthy stuff going.

plama you said your current spot is closer to current social life, but how close is that?

you just like doubled your pay, right? I still don't think I'd double my rent for a shorter commute if it became 3x distance to social life.

plama you said your current spot is closer to current social life, but how close is that?

you just like doubled your pay, right? I still don't think I'd double my rent for a shorter commute if it became 3x distance to social life.

I'm currently in like the most conveniently located place in los angeles. half a mile from one freeway and 2-3 miles from the connection to the other main freeway. I'm like 7 miles away from my social life now. About 15 minute drive at night. Replacing with about a 25-30 minute night-time drive 15-16 miles, but I'll end up ubering a lot more as I feel somewhat comfortable doing my current drive after a few drinks, but wouldn't with the new drive.

Looks good to me. Permission granted
140hi85.jpg

2m2wg2r.jpg

What is your overall quality of life now, Plama? I'm old-ish but I would hesitate a lot before I would increase my rent by that much - unless I was REALLY sure it was worth it. There is a lot to say for disposable income and a lot of security and life satisfaction with having a bunch of money invested or in the bank. How secure is your new job? How volatile is the industry? There are a lot of things to consider before committing yourself to that much additional monthly expense... But on the other hand - shots on shots on shots!

What is your overall quality of life now, Plama? I'm old-ish but I would hesitate a lot before I would increase my rent by that much - unless I was REALLY sure it was worth it. There is a lot to say for disposable income and a lot of security and life satisfaction with having a bunch of money invested or in the bank. How secure is your new job? How volatile is the industry? There are a lot of things to consider before committing yourself to that much additional monthly expense... But on the other hand - shots on shots on shots!

On the other hand, there's no guarantee that money will always be worth something these days, so might as well live life to the fullest while you can.

plama is also in a baller job/position now too, so he's gotta look the part as well.. if he's paying basically nothing to live out in the sticks people might start to get suspicious that he's not actually qualified for the job. ACT AS IF.

Industry is architecture, so if real estate market crashes, it could hurt, but my position should be safe until they retire (owned by 2 people, super duper smart/wealthy/successful). But I should wait a few months as I just started the new job, so I'm not secure here yet.

Very few things in this world say "power" like living directly above a Whole Foods in the most happening area.

Seriously, following only living above an Olive Garden and living on Rosedale.

If such a place were real.. maybe plama can get these architecture guys to work something out. Would put Winston on the spot.

I like my 45 minute walk. I guess it'd be nice to be closer, but I dig the ability to gear up for the day and decompress after.

I'm the opposite. The walk from my house to the office would be 20-25 mins. It's really not bad. But my drive is between 5 and 10 mins (and I have free parking, so there's that). In the mornings, I wouldn't normally care about the walk, though it would require me to plan a little better. I'm pretty willy-nilly in the morning. But by the time my day is over, I really just want to be home as quickly as possible and decompress there (perhaps with some bourbon). And I would have to change shoes because I don't want to walk that much in dress shoes, so that would require me to carry a bag or keep shoes at work, and that's just too much for me to handle.

With all other factors taken into consideration, I'd take #3 at $2200. I would have a harder time springing for #2 or #3 at 2700-3000. In that case, I'd stay where I am and make the upgrades I want for it to be a nice(r) space and just save $$$... which is pretty much the adventure I'm choosing right now in my own life.

Also, a 2 mile commute and you're driving it? In that climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back