• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 2023: Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HS Football coach was also a math teacher and I had him for AP Stats. Any athlete that had a game or match had a free pass to lay down in the back of the classroom and nap.

yeah, i'd be pretty pissed if i found out teachers were doing that in my kid's school

My French teacher Jr/Sr year loved me for an unknown reason. She was an actual French lady who was more interested in her students liking her than actually teaching. I somehow had French last period each year. I went the first day each year and never again... Always left early to grab lunch somewhere and then head to practice (of whatever sport was in season). Her policy was that I just check in with her from time to time to make sure I was doing the work (I wasn't).

Two follow-ups:
1- When I went to Wake and took the foreign language placement test I did horribly and placed into beginning French. I think I got Cs and Ds in every French class I took at Wake and ultimately had to have my bi-lingual girlfriend do the work for me in my French literature class that I took over summer school.
2- The next time I saw that teacher was years later when I went through a toll booth and she was working as the cashier. Talk about an awkward (and brief) interaction.

My French teacher Jr/Sr year loved me for an unknown reason. She was an actual French lady who was more interested in her students liking her than actually teaching. I somehow had French last period each year. I went the first day each year and never again... Always left early to grab lunch somewhere and then head to practice (of whatever sport was in season). Her policy was that I just check in with her from time to time to make sure I was doing the work (I wasn't).

Two follow-ups:
1- When I went to Wake and took the foreign language placement test I did horribly and placed into beginning French. I think I got Cs and Ds in every French class I took at Wake and ultimately had to have my bi-lingual girlfriend do the work for me in my French literature class that I took over summer school.
2- The next time I saw that teacher was years later when I went through a toll booth and she was working as the cashier. Talk about an awkward (and brief) interaction.

68elctkL4-Bx.jpg

Nah, I probably post too much on the boards and all, but coaching is secondary. I like coaching, but I love lit and teaching English. Admin and the community is a whole lot more concerned about basketball, though, and I'm definitely a better teacher when it's not basketball season.

Bro, don't slow down your posting. There wouldn't be too many reasons to read the boards if you stopped.

Maga county is luck to have a MAKO molding their youth.

I think it would be pretty sweet/interesting if college coaches also had to teach at the colleges. Like, have a PhD level chemistry professor coach football as a side gig.

French might be the worst language. I hate the way it's spelled and the way it sounds. (wrong thread?)

I started out as a history major, but I switched once I realized my main motivation was coaching. I had no interest in standing in front of a bunch of high school kids and talk to them about something 90% had absolutely zero interest, just to make it to the ball field once the bell rang.

Two follow-ups:

I did the opposite. I placed out of waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much French. On top of that my frosh French prof's hubby was leading a student group for the year and she found out he was having an affair. I had no business being in that class and got an F-. I think the highest grade a guy in that class was a D. She was none too happy.

Luckily, I was able to take it in summer school, at night, at St. Joe's to fill my requirement.

The lit class at Wake was taught by a hippyish guy who had been at Amherst. On the first day of class, he asked who was taking the class because they loved French lit. The frosh raised their hands. He asked who was taking the class so they could graduate. The rest of us raised our hands. He let us write our papers in English and take tests in English. That was a big break.

My HS Football coach was also a math teacher and I had him for AP Stats. Any athlete that had a game or match had a free pass to lay down in the back of the classroom and nap.

Yeah, my high school football coach was my chem teacher and somehow the key to every test ended up left on the table that I shared with another player. Which is cool when you're 16, but not so cool when you're 19 and change majors because organic chem has drained your will to live because you never really had a basic chem background. Which is probably as big a reason as any as to why I teach now, so, yeah, I make it a point to not shortchange my students or especially my players if I have them in class.

I think it would be pretty sweet/interesting if college coaches also had to teach at the colleges. Like, have a PhD level chemistry professor coach football as a side gig.

Paul Westhead used to teach Shakespeare at St. Joe's.

my wife was a finalist for a HS history teaching job when we first moved to the area and they went with the other guy since they also needed a baseball coach. they told her she was a much better teaching candidate but unfortunately her baseball coaching skills are not very good. so basically they are giving kids a crappier education to also save some money.

We also don’t really have any reason to go to the moon whereas things like Mars exploration conceivably have a more critical purpose for the future of humanity.

I mean considering most plans for going to mars involve building bases and launching missions from the moon, i'd say they have a reason to go to the moon.

Although I prefer the idea of Mars Direct missions.

my wife was a finalist for a HS history teaching job when we first moved to the area and they went with the other guy since they also needed a baseball coach. they told her she was a much better teaching candidate but unfortunately her baseball coaching skills are not very good. so basically they are giving kids a crappier education to also save some money.

I thought they paid coaches additional salary on top of thier regular teaching salary. Seems like they'd either pay that guy or pay somebody else for the coaching but they preferrred to have someone on the school's faculty as the coach.

I thought they paid coaches additional salary on top of thier regular teaching salary. Seems like they'd either pay that guy or pay somebody else for the coaching but they preferrred to have someone on the school's faculty as the coach.

yeah that's what I assume. they had two roles to fill, this guy checked off both boxes.

Two follow-ups:

I have the exact same story with French. I can only learn by reading, I can't learn audibly. took french 3 years in elementary school, 2 in middle school, 3 in high school, and still placed in Basic French. Took that first semester, then procrastinated and took the 2nd one 2nd semester Sophmore year, 3rd one Junior year, and the last one I took last semester my 5th grad year along with religion. Had the same teacher the freshman year and grad year, she gave me a D- just to get me graduated. Really sweet having 1/8th of my total grades being D's in French by the time I was done.

Yeah but the coaching stipend is normally crap, it is not even minimum wage. That's why they have to hire the coach to teach too, you can't make a living as just a HS coach. Rarely do schools hire non-staff to coach as they want athletics and academics tied together.

Great character

Taking a break and reading Deacon King Kong
That's on my list for this year.
I just finished A Burning, it was on EW's list of top 10 books of 2020. I was unimpressed until about 80% through, when it dawned on me the ending wasn't going in the direction I thought it would, then it totally changed the way I viewed it. Not too long of a book and a relatively easy read, would recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back