• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT 757: does anyone know a paralegal who enjoys insensitive jokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you imagine Doug & mako working together?

I certainly can’t imagine ever working with my dad.

If Mako sends you and Townie a writing sample, do you think you can type it up to send to me? It's probably going to be written in crayon, and you'll have to put some "big boy" five+ letter words in it for him.

Seriously though, my office needs painted something fierce.

some of these UofC professors live in some very expensive houses

probs sold some books or something too though

some of these UofC professors live in some very expensive houses

probs sold some books or something too though
Probably bought them way back in the day, when the neighborhoods were different.

But I do imagine that UofC (assuming you mean Chicago?) pays well

(Nobody is making money on academic books)

huh, just looked up what my dad makes

full prof, vice chair of dept, at a big school (tho idk what TIER), has other appointments. 30+ year career now.

i'll make more than him in the next 2-3 years at my current trajectory/company.

and he has a PhD and like, does valuable research and stuff. i post on the boards and putz around my house, and occasionally do meetings and spreadsheets and powerpoints.

i wish salary transparency were a thing, so we could all comfortably talk about salaries out in the open and such. bizarre what's valuable and what isn't, in a strictly utilitarian sense.

huh, just looked up what my dad makes

full prof, vice chair of dept, at a big school (tho idk what TIER), has other appointments. 30+ year career now.

i'll make more than him in the next 2-3 years at my current trajectory/company.

and he has a PhD and like, does valuable research and stuff. i post on the boards and putz around my house, and occasionally do meetings and spreadsheets and powerpoints.

i wish salary transparency were a thing, so we could all comfortably talk about salaries out in the open and such. bizarre what's valuable and what isn't, in a strictly utilitarian sense.

Professors get away with murder in the quality-of-life department though. Like, there are trade-offs.

My dad used to work at wake (not a prof) and I was always curious what he made. He’s now at a public university and it’s what I expected, I think

my dad teaches 1, maybe 2 classes a year, but spends 60+ hrs a week in a lab

he does get some sweet travel perks, but he works wayyyyy harder than me

Guessing the salary range for tenure track/assistant > full prof to be like $75-250k? Just a wild range depending on your school, your department, and how much $ you earn for your school in various ways.

This range is pretty close for Research One, state flagship, or Ivy. Though 250k is way, way on the high end and much more likely for administrators and some elite scientists.*

Scale for SLAC and regional colleges much, much lower. Community colleges usually lower unless in metropolis. Adjuncts can't even afford health insurance.

Elite SLACs will be closer to your range at the assistant level but won't have research scientists on faculty so the top end range will be much lower.

*If you include medical and professional school faculty your top range could be extended. Like an "Full Professor" neurosurgeon is obviously making more than 250k but technically had an academic appointment

That's a good educated guess.

Our starting salaries for a tenure track assistant professor are around $75K now. In social sciences and humanities, it's possible to get to $250K by the end of your career if you're a full professor and have been a chair and had a college-level position like an associate dean. It's much more likely to get there in sciences and engineering without doing a lot of administration.

One of the things the IRS Commissioner has been pushing for is permission for direct hiring authority and a deviation from the GS schedule.

His point was that the type of attorneys you want pursuing the biggest let’s call them aggressive tax planning corporations aren’t going to wait 9 months to go through the government hiring process for a job that caps out at $176,300.

there are some pictures of trump where it looks like he's wearing some non-licensed MAGA hat and it really cracks me up

One of the things the IRS Commissioner has been pushing for is permission for direct hiring authority and a deviation from the GS schedule.

His point was that the type of attorneys you want pursuing the biggest let’s call them aggressive tax planning corporations aren’t going to wait 9 months to go through the government hiring process for a job that caps out at $176,300.

Right?

In 2008 was offered a job as an assistant prof of biology and statistics at Eastern Kentucky University for $45,000 per year.

Probably bought them way back in the day, when the neighborhoods were different.

But I do imagine that UofC (assuming you mean Chicago?) pays well

(Nobody is making money on academic books)

Yeah a lot of older Duke professors live in the absolute most desirable neighborhoods in Durham but have been there for decades.

In 2008 was offered a job as an assistant prof of biology and statistics at Eastern Kentucky University for $45,000 per year.

starting salary in my field at UNCW and App State is ~$60k

disturbingly low for the amount of work professors are expected to do

That's what I made for my post-doc starting in 2004. I'm pretty sure our starting salaries have grown significantly to $75K in the last 5 years or so. They were closes to $60-65K before that.

Yeah a lot of older Duke professors live in the absolute most desirable neighborhoods in Durham but have been there for decades.

universities also used to pride themselves on including things like mortgage assistance and providing loans for down payments, neither of which they do anymore for faculty members in all but the most elite contexts

That's what I made for my post-doc starting in 2004. I'm pretty sure our starting salaries have grown significantly to $75K in the last 5 years or so. They were closes to $60-65K before that.

I wish, Ph, but public school salaries outside of the flagship campuses are pretty horrendous in my experience.

What do y'all offer new profs?

Around here, there's a well-to-do community on one side of the university where faculty who started 20+ years ago tend to live. On the other side of the university is a low-income community.

More recent faculty live in the suburbs and the further away is an indication of when they started.

Strick, we started offering around $75K a few years ago. Our last few hires have been very competitive so they may have gotten a bit more and significant startup to beat other offers. We have several long time associate faculty who aren't making that much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back