• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT CCXLV - Where TK reimagines Tom Sizemore as a woman

Status
Not open for further replies.
are email recalls an outlook thing? I get notifications for them from time to time, but I'm in gmail and it do anything

damn they messed up putting two women in the show then

i really like BoB! hell i even own and have read Webster's book, which has a lengthy appendix with letters home to mom and dad

i understand that the way that ambrose and hanks et al have told the story is not about the families

i just don't think it's crazy to imagine the story being told a different way, or different stories being told at parts of the mini series (and some of those stories might even include women)

i don't think home front stuff would necessarily have muddied the narrative, esp. if included in the first two or the last episode (for example)

I dig Ambrose but I’ve been a 75 year old man for 2 decades.

i guess we should blame the vets for not including the women in their personal narratives about what it was like jumping into normandy and crawling around the dirt and rubble of france and the low countries

nah, the idea of the bechdel test is solid enough as a talking point and for moving the overton window, but brotherhood is a central theme of the show

my wife has a similar critique often about movies, like lord of the rings, for example, not enough good women characters, and i get it

i guess we should blame the vets for not including the women in their personal narratives about what it was like jumping into normandy and crawling around the dirt and rubble of france and the low countries

i'm not blaming anyone?

Driving ~6 hours to Florida tomorrow to go to the beach with my family for fall break.

As a reminder, my kids are 7, 5, & 3.

We're going to leave around 9am... I will spend the entire drive thinking about how great it will be if we can get settled in time for the start of FSU/WFU & Bama/UF.

But I'm sure we'll have constant bathroom breaks and other issues which will cause me to miss a good chunk of the games.

nah, the idea of the bechdel test is solid enough as a talking point and for moving the overton window, but brotherhood is a central theme of the show

i don't understand your point

it's 10 hours of television

surely we can suss out themes besides brotherhood the show touches on over those 10 hours

Driving ~6 hours to Florida tomorrow to go to the beach with my family for fall break.

We're going to leave around 9am... I will spend the entire drive thinking about how great it will be if we can get settled in time for the start of FSU/WFU & Bama/UF.

But I'm sure we'll have constant bathroom breaks and other issues which will cause me to miss a good chunk of the games.

leave at 4 and they'll sleep at least part of the trip

Bro it’s hard for me to withhold dad judgement after finding out you leave for vacation at 9. The car pulls out of the garage at 630 at the latest, whether they are in it or not.

and again, as the grandkid of two Marines and the son of another I have seen the show and read the books (and related books) too many times

I like the show

i know! at this point it's just a simple criticism of the show

criticism =/= insistence we reshoot it

it is , but i think the critique is worth considering as well. "Could the story of BoB/Easy Company [brotherhood borne from battle] be improved by expanding its perspectives?" Maybe? Probably but I think the Pacific is an object-lesson in that maybe not.

"Could we tell a broader story about life during WWII?" - sure, we have lots and lots of stories about life and WWII

i think I'd push back a bit on the idea that the Pacific was less successful (financially/critically/culturally) just because it included home-front material

it's arguably darker/more violent, was released years later, and took on the major WWII theater that is generally less-regarded (how many Western Front CoD/MoH games do we have vs. Pacific)

there's certainly a lot of reasons, but honestly I admire the Pacific more for at least attempting to include the larger social issues of war vs. largely writing it out to the point where if I bring it up in the context of BoB people insist it wouldn't be possible (?) or that it'd be shoehorning it in or that the show is about BROTHERS ONLY

just my thoughts, it's an interesting convo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back