• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT - It's Coming Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I once attended a frightening-sounding concert at Ruhr University in Bochum where the architecture was horrendously depressing in appearance/style.

Not really micro. Basically anti-homeless features.

But also super interesting strategies for figuring out how to direct where people walk and congregate

Now I’m curious, why is that gendered?

Anti-homeless architecture is so maddening

Depending on what religious tradition you apply to understanding that belief in an omnipotent God, there are men who dedicated their entire lives to answering exactly that question. Check out Aquinas and Augustine in particular on doctrines of free will and "grace". I'm sure there are a dozen posters here who would be able to explain much better than me, but Christians (at least pre-reformation) would not agree that God's omnipotence negates free will

I kinda agree on the second part. I spend a lot of time thinking about nature and nurture and what qualities we tend to value as a society in our people.

You're hitting pretty close to Molinism, which was a reconciliation of God's sovereignty and free will. Molina (Luis, not Alfred) argued that humanity had free will, but that God's omniscience contained what he called Middle Knowledge - which is knowledge of each person's choices and and the subsequent choices/results that those choices lead to. Ultimately, God has knowledge of all possible universes and outcomes of the infinite choices present to humanity. In the moment of creation, seeing the infinite possible universes, God chose to creation this one in which you have made all the choices you have made and the choices that you will make. Thus, you still truly are making the choice of your own volition (preserving free will), yet God chose which universe of choices (and thus outcomes) exist (preserving God's sovereignty).

TL;DR - the infinite multiverse exists and God chose which one to bring into being.

I once attended a frightening-sounding concert at Ruhr University in Bochum where the architecture was horrendously depressing in appearance/style.

I saw Grizzly Bear in a church and it was the closest thing to a religious experience I’ve ever had. Probably half of the most significant experiences I’ve had in my life have been at concerts. Sigur Ros, Bjork, Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire.

A good question, and a conversation I always have with students when we read this (it's from a work of fiction)

I suppose the character would say (and theorists would agree) that some people carry their trauma in physiologically specific ways (like parts of their bodies) and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the interaction between memory and pain exacerbates PTSD and is a source of ongoing trauma.

Isn't BBD a physical therapist? I bet need have some insight.

Have you much interaction with somatic therapy/healing, like Resmaa Menakem's work?

I saw Grizzly Bear in a church and it was the closest thing to a religious experience I’ve ever had. Probably half of the most significant experiences I’ve had in my life have been at concerts. Sigur Ros, Bjork, Radiohead, LCD Soundsystem, Arcade Fire.

We decided to steady ourselves with some Bach afterwards.

You're hitting pretty close to Molinism, which was a reconciliation of God's sovereignty and free will. Molina (Luis, not Alfred) argued that humanity had free will, but that God's omniscience contained what he called Middle Knowledge - which is knowledge of each person's choices and and the subsequent choices/results that those choices lead to. Ultimately, God has knowledge of all possible universes and outcomes of the infinite choices present to humanity. In the moment of creation, seeing the infinite possible universes, God chose to creation this one in which you have made all the choices you have made and the choices that you will make. Thus, you still truly are making the choice of your own volition (preserving free will), yet God chose which universe of choices (and thus outcomes) exist (preserving God's sovereignty).

TL;DR - the infinite multiverse exists and God chose which one to bring into being.

Pretty compelling! But are we meant to have this much knowledge or understating of our being and relationship to God and the universe?

If you don’t know the future and your perception/experience is one of making choices…you still must live the experience of choosing.

Biff Tannen: All-American, based on the outcomes of the infinite choices present to humanity.

OTOH…your brief existence and ability to comprehend and consider all this is an amazing and beautiful thing…IMO.

You ever think about how long you will be remembered after you die? If you aren’t a notable or famous person, and have children at a normal age, most likely your existence will only be remembered for 50-60 years after you die.

Yeah but if God created me and the universe I exist in and already knows the choices that I’m going to make in that specific universe, how do I really have free will?

You ever think about how long you will be remembered after you die? If you aren’t a notable or famous person, and have children at a normal age, most likely your existence will only be remembered for 50-60 years after you die.

Mediocre podunk high school basketball coaches live forever.

The halls of OG boards dot com will ring forward the name of Biff Tannen into eternity

The halls of OG boards dot com will ring forward the name of Biff Tannen into eternity

Can we create an endowment to keep this site going in perpetuity as a memorial to BiffTannen?

You all will pass down the stories of BiffTannen to your grandkids to keep the dream alive.

Yeah but if God created me and the universe I exist in and already knows the choices that I’m going to make in that specific universe, how do I really have free will?

Doesn’t matter. Your experience is your choices matter.

I was thinking about that some at the beginning of covid, going through some old family photos

found one of my great^4 grandpa and grandma— a photo of a photo — and was like “I know nothing of these people but I’m here because they were”

I was thinking about that some at the beginning of covid, going through some old family photos

found one of my great^4 grandpa and grandma— a photo of a photo — and was like “I know nothing of these people but I’m here because they were”

Wo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back