• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT part Deux: Where imaginary best friends are made

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DeacInVermont I can’t quote a post from the previous CT but google maps once tried to direct me to cross a raging river in Costa Rica. There may have been a road there in the dry season, maybe, but we definitely would have been swept out to sea and died if we’d followed google’s directions.

@DeacInVermont I can’t quote a post from the previous CT but google maps once tried to direct me to cross a raging river in Costa Rica. There may have been a road there in the dry season, maybe, but we definitely would have been swept out to sea and died if we’d followed google’s directions.
You hear those stories about people ending up in a lake or whatever and are like, what a dumbass. Now, given most drivers I encounter, they may very well be a dumbass, but I was surprised at how quickly it turned into something where it was really tough to reverse course.

Feels like Google Maps doesn't even try anymore. It will give me a slightly longer directions to place I know. I realize it's taking me a weird way at a stop light then choose a different route like "oh my bad."

You hear those stories about people ending up in a lake or whatever and are like, what a dumbass. Now, given most drivers I encounter, they may very well be a dumbass, but I was surprised at how quickly it turned into something where it was really tough to reverse course.
We were late for our ferry and it would have been a 6 hour wait for the next one so I was driving too fast down this little country road in the Nicoya Peninsula. I was definitely in one of those moods to drive so we’d make it to the ferry. I even thought about if for a minute because we’d gone several miles on this supposed short cut and I didn’t want to lose time. I found the picture on FB.

IMG_6713.jpeg

ugh, i hate private equity so much

what are some good things that have come from PE?

also, what is e-discovery software?
I'm sure attorneys could explain it better... but Discovery is just the process of reviewing documents for trial, depositions, early-case-assessment etc. etc.

That shit used to be done with boxes upon boxes of bankers boxes (in Silicon Valley you'll remember they got a classic document dump).

e-discovery is just handling it all digitally which is where p everything happens these days as you can imagine. Specifically the company I work for was one of the first to offer an entirely cloud-based offering that is dead simple (a paralegal or old-ass attorney can use it w/out training) and focuses on collection/processing (e.g. taking your inbox, plus loose collection of files on your hard drive and analyzing them and pulling out metadata, exploding attachments, finding hidden embedded files etc.) and then search and review. We also differentiated ourselves by trying to keep pricing affordable and predictable to democratize discovery and empower smaller firms (for a long time only the top 250 firms could really afford it for larger cases), this naturally led to us being a really good fit for in-house counsel in some cases (also lots of government use for FOIA etc.). There are lots of super fun problems with big data and edge cases you can only imagine, so it's never really gotten boring.

I joined when the company was ~10 employees strong and we were just starting to build out our main product (before that we were less served and more focused on white-glove services around other e-discovery solutions). That was 12 years ago. When we were acquired 6 weeks ago we had 100+ employees and very strong cash flow and revenue (runway of 3+ years).

We had a super scary week when Silicon Valley Bank collapsed which I think was the major impetus for our founders selling, but I can't blame them for what the other company paid (probably about the best offer we were gonna get in a down tech market, and probably matches what an IPO looks like best case in the next 5 years).

Years ago we were headed to a Birthday party at some friends house in Randolph County. The map deal sent us down a 2 lane, gravel road. I told my wife this can’t be right and she told me to keep driving (friends lived in a single wide and that’s all that we saw). The road went down to a single lane for a bit and then opened up to a neighborhood of more single wides. Damn map thing kept telling us to keep going straight. Folks were coming out and looking at us. We came around a curve and there were Confederate flags everywhere and signs saying that you will be shot if you went further. I threw that bitch in reverse and with my great driving skills I got out of there without damaging the car. I was yelling at my wife and son to not look at all the people watching us. 20 minutes later we were where we were supposed to be. I never trusted technology again.

Anyway, the company that acquired us has acquired probably 10+ companies over the last 10 years, and it's not clear to me yet they have any real clue how to run a software company or attract and retain engineering talent. They laid off a bunch of good people during the acquisition itself (on accident) and have basically offered no incentives for people to stay (despite everyone losing equity/skin-in-the-game and with major benefits losses incoming).

Heading to Las Cruces tomorrow for a quick three day trip. Hope for see a road runner, gambles quail, pyrrhuloxia, and some humming birds! Also, I’m giving a seminar at New Mexico State University.
I didn’t know they had road runners to rent out. That’s a snazzy car.

Years ago we were headed to a Birthday party at some friends house in Randolph County. The map deal sent us down a 2 lane, gravel road. I told my wife this can’t be right and she told me to keep driving (friends lived in a single wide and that’s all that we saw). The road went down to a single lane for a bit and then opened up to a neighborhood of more single wides. Damn map thing kept telling us to keep going straight. Folks were coming out and looking at us. We came around a curve and there were Confederate flags everywhere and signs saying that you will be shot if you went further. I threw that bitch in reverse and with my great driving skills I got out of there without damaging the car. I was yelling at my wife and son to not look at all the people watching us. 20 minutes later we were where we were supposed to be. I never trusted technology again.
Lol. Yeah, GPS in bat country can be iffy. Family has a mountain house near Boone and for a long time it constantly sent people on fire roads that were completely closed to get to it.

there are so many places in Randolph county this could be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back