• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Redux: Comedy has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
CT Redux: Somebody's got a case of the Mondays

Man I miss old rap album covers. I been on that Project Pat, obviously but Lil Ugly Mane is new to me. I'll give that a listen while I'm grading Of Mice and Men essays.

[TWITTER]1442854314637135875[/TWITTER]

no but i do think moby dick is the best american novel

i really enjoy reading it in my head as if it were narrated. the descriptions are less of a drag

no but i do think moby dick is the best american novel

Tbf it has been a long time and I could probably do with a reread(which I won't do because it's sprawling and rambling and a million pages) but you're gonna have to clarify best for me. Because I'm putting it way below Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Catch 22 or even As I Lay Dying for overall reading enjoyment or experience. I'd probably argue for Blood Meridian, but I'm obviously pretty biased towards the Western genre as a whole.

But anyone who mentions To Kill a Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye can get right the fuck out.

it's actually not that sprawling. the chapters are pretty short and fairly focused, albeit dense. there's sort of cultural image of the book that doesn't necessarily square with the actual story.

sort of like On the Road

Tbf it has been a long time and I could probably do with a reread(which I won't do because it's sprawling and rambling and a million pages) but you're gonna have to clarify best for me. Because I'm putting it way below Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath, Catch 22 or even As I Lay Dying for overall reading enjoyment or experience. I'd probably argue for Blood Meridian, but I'm obviously pretty biased towards the Western genre as a whole.

as you know i don't have particularly refined tastes for an english major, but i do love sprawling epics--infinite jest and gravity's rainbow and house of leaves are other favorites. i like it when novels play around with storytelling and aren't just a simple thing for you to latch onto. i think melville manages to tell a story and play with the novel in a way that the rest of the books I mentioned wouldn't be able to exist without (though i'm not an academic qualified to make a statement like that). it feels like the literary forebear for the kinds of books i like reading from teh 20th/21st centuries.

it's actually not that sprawling. the chapters are pretty short and fairly focused, albeit dense. there's sort of cultural image of the book that doesn't necessarily square with the actual story.

sort of like On the Road

yea this is a good clarification, the story itself is kinda straightforward. not a ton of action or a massive cast of characters.

I recommend every one read "Song of the Dodo" by David Quamen. It's not a novel though.

You guys seem to be much more well read than 99% of America, and it makes me feel bad. I only have one close friend, plus my wife, who reads a lot. All of the rest of us read like 1, maybe 2, books a year at most. One claims he hasn't read a book since college. Way too much TV.

I thought my post about Shea Serrano making BWOKmarks would have gotten more traction.

Amazon has a playlist of Top 100 Dirty South songs which includes classics like Chickenhead and Knuck if You Buck.

You guys seem to be much more well read than 99% of America, and it makes me feel bad. I only have one close friend, plus my wife, who reads a lot. All of the rest of us read like 1, maybe 2, books a year at most. One claims he hasn't read a book since college. Way too much TV.

Tbf we were both English majors. Although my wife probably reads more than I do.

oh i see now that you already mentioned it -- carry on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back