• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT Redux: Comedy has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate Elon Musk more than Bezos.

Like based on personality/mannerisms or…? Musk has at least made significant contributions to the world especially with the advancements driven by SpaceX. Hard to argue that Bezos is anything other than a money-hungry zillionaire exploiting hundreds of thousands of low paid employees working grueling hours and eroding the place of small businesses.

Like based on personality/mannerisms or…? Musk has at least made significant contributions to the world especially with the advancements driven by SpaceX. Hard to argue that Bezos is anything other than a money-hungry zillionaire exploiting hundreds of thousands of low paid employees working grueling hours and eroding the place of small businesses.

Today it's just based on moving Tesla to Texas. But I'll hate Bezos more again next week I'm sure.

Musk killing Grimes's ability to make decent music didn't help either.

I see Elon musk as George Washington 2.0. The dude might be the biggest social philanthropist in the history of the world. The steps that he's taken toward getting us on multiple planets are unparalleled. The diversification of the human asset is essential to us having any hope of persisting long-term.

The dude has advanced the solar industry light years ahead of where it was. He's advanced space travel light years ahead of where it was. He's advanced electric cars light years ahead of where they were. These are all really important products for sustainability and the future. Fuck, at a baseline level he helped create finance and commerce on the internet with PayPal. Without PayPal is a protogenerator we wouldn't have had things like Venmo, Cash app, etc. The financial retail sector of the internet was built on PayPal.

The things that his companies have done have likely or will likely have a greater impact on the average person living in the United States than anything since the collective advancement due to world War II.

Is it? A random person can make a funny tweet, YouTube, or TikTok and millions of people will see it and laugh within 24 hours. Comedy is thriving. It’s just more competitive so established comedians need to stay sharp. Gender and sexuality are low hanging fruit. Always have been. Cheap shots at trans women is barely better than “women be shopping.”

I’ll add that any decent comedian has a few streaming specials, podcasts, web series, or TV shows. The industry seems to be doing well.

Completely agree with this. Chapelle has decided to go for the low hanging fruit and the Rogan audience, which is fine I guess, but there is obviously a lot of good comedy out here right now that doesn't have to stoop. When Norm MacDonald died, I read a a quote from him that was something like, good comedians make the audience laugh and bad comedians make the audience clap (not word for word). Saw this article on Norm where he says:

"When I first began in comedy, I would get people to clap, rather than actually laugh. You just say something that has no comedy in it at all but people agree with it. Like, if the point of your joke is, like, “Buchanan is a Nazi” — I could say that, and I guarantee that I could get people to clap, simply by saying that. But it’s not even true! So I was getting people to clap, but I reached a point where I never wanted to get people to clap, because it was, like you said, pandering. But there’s a difference between a clap and a laugh. A laugh is involuntary, but the crowd is in complete control when they’re clapping, they’re saying, “we agree with what you’re saying — proceed!” But when they’re laughing, they’re genuinely surprised. And when they’re not laughing, they’re really surprised. And sometimes I think, in my little head, that that’s the best comedy of all."

https://www.vulture.com/2011/04/norm-macdonalds-audience-problem.html

Chapelle has moved into the making the audience clap stage of his career. And that bit at the end was so cringeworthy.

I see Elon musk as George Washington 2.0. The dude might be the biggest social philanthropist in the history of the world. The steps that he's taken toward getting us on multiple planets are unparalleled. The diversification of the human asset is essential to us having any hope of persisting long-term.

The dude has advanced the solar industry light years ahead of where it was. He's advanced space travel light years ahead of where it was. He's advanced electric cars light years ahead of where they were. These are all really important products for sustainability and the future. Fuck, at a baseline level he helped create finance and commerce on the internet with PayPal. Without PayPal is a protogenerator we wouldn't have had things like Venmo, Cash app, etc. The financial retail sector of the internet was built on PayPal.

The things that his companies have done have likely or will likely have a greater impact on the average person living in the United States than anything since the collective advancement due to world War II.

and they say comedy is in a tough place in 2021

Yeah, this sucks. Won't be buying a Tesla.

I don't understand this. He left California because California wasn't letting him make cars. Do you want to live in a place where businesses are forced to stay in a certain location?

I don't understand this. He left California because California wasn't letting him make cars. Do you want to live in a place where businesses are forced to stay in a certain location?

It's the going to Texas that's the problem for me (and they're not really moving out of CA anyway).

Last edited:

Hey Kory the first slide of one of my student’s debate against capital punishment in America is titled “Is exucute bad”. He has also talked about execution by elephant for over 3 minutes now. So I’d probably be better at your job than you.

Hey Kory the first slide of one of my student’s debate against capital punishment in America is titled “Is exucute bad”. He has also talked about execution by elephant for over 3 minutes now. So I’d probably be better at your job than you.

sounds like maybe he took the lesson on pathos as rhetorical proof to heart if he's describing execution via elephants to criticize American punishment

Holy shit he’s still talking about execution by elephant in his rebuttal. This man should be banned from all zoos and circuses.

Now he’s on the brazen bull. This is getting dark.

honestly I'd tell him to just use some of those descriptions of last minutes via injection

some of that suffocation, burning alive shit is awful

And his classmates loved it. Landslide winner. Know your audience.

Is this irony?

It was a purposeful reference to Chappelle playing a hack comedian in a movie.

Tesla is just opening new plants in Austin, the liberal oasis he moved to last year. The California plants aren’t moving or closing. They’re actually expanding. But “Tesla is moving to Texas” gets clicks.

He literally just described ancient execution methods for 8 minutes and mopped the floor with his opponent.

what was the aff's arg

Actual stats about capital punishment and quotes from prominent politicians and a couple of pretty gruesome stories about families getting murdered and killers going free.

Debate days are my favorite days of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back