• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CT - see post #1 in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really want to wade through the sports board for this discussion, but can we talk about how we fired two coaches after one of our best two seasons ever in FB and replaced them with lateral moves from a P5 program? What a time to be alive as a Deacon fan.

Since we haven't had any #booktalk in a while, I finished up book 5 of this month last night, "A Children's Bible, a Novel" by Lydia Millet. It is a climate fiction novel that documents the experience of a group of children in the face of climate change as their parents fail to respond to a climate-charged hurricane and ultimately the collapse of society as we know it. Quick, well written read. I enjoyed the biblical metaphors spread throughout the story. Both hilarious and incredibly sad at times.

Other books I read this month:

"Center, Center" by James B Whiteside: A semi-memoir by a principal dancer at the American Ballet Theater. A series of short stories that explore queerness, dance, drag, sex, partying, and pain. Funny at times, thoughtful at others - quick read. Probably better suited for reading by the pool/beach or sunny days.

"Detransition, Baby: a Novel" by Torrey Peters. A story of three women - cisgender and transgender - whos lives are brought together after an unexpected pregnancy. Really enjoyed this one; again - way outside my own life experience and world view, but a great read none-the-less.

"Black Dhalia" by James Ellroy. Crime fiction set in 1947, based on the grisly murder of a young woman. Classic noir - I read Ellroy's most recent ("Widespread Panic") in December and decided to go back to this one. It got a little long in the tooth at times, but still enjoyed it and am looking to read the other books from his LA Series later this year.

"Buy-ol-ogy" by Martin Lindstrom. Presentation of findings from first widespread neuromarketing study that describes how and why our brains respond to different ads, what makes ads most effective, etc. While interesting, it felt a bit dated at times. Still, another interesting, easy read.

Last edited:
Guess the James Adams news isn't officially official yet. I assume that Greg Jones, LB coach, is out to make room for Adams. With Lambert assuming LB Coach responsibilities.

Another assistant coach was quietly let go weeks ago. I think Adams is going to coach safeties and Lambert is going to coach inside linebackers or something like that.

But speaking of the sports board, can we have a hearty fuck you to all the people who spent the last decade arguing why Wake couldn't just have a good basketball program? All we had to do was just hire a good coach, but we had dozens of posters pull out every excuse in the book for why we couldn't do that or why it wouldn't work. This has been a great season to be on the boards. Fewer dumb arguments. Realistic good expectations. Earnest discussion about strengths and weaknesses.

But if we're going to build the team through transfers we're definitely going to have some ups and downs. However, nearly every team is facing that, whether they build the roster through transfers or one-and-dones.

Another L for diggler!

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

It stinks that Patrick Mahomes fiancé and brother both suck.

I realize that looks aren't everything, but wow, she is not what I would expect from an MVP qb's SO in the physical aesthetics department.

Is there for honest Poverty
That hings his head, an’ a’ that;
The coward slave-we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a’ that!
For a’ that, an’ a’ that.
Our toils obscure an’ a’ that,
The rank is but the guinea’s stamp,
The Man’s the gowd for a’ that …

I read yesterday that almost all of the snow at the Beijing Olympics will be fake because it really doesn’t snow there very much. What are we doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back